Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boost problems - I should be getting more

I’ve use 2 different BOV’s that were adjustable but never had to adjust them. I believe the adjustment is more for a turbo application where you’re trying to get the valve to open at a certain psi.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Blazen,
    the MAF counter is the last thing boosted / cooled air goes by before getting into the manifold...so, downstream of the SC.
    Thanks for the thoughts on the root cause here. My trouble shooting list is now
    1) boost gauge correct confirmation/leak in line to gauge
    2) air pipe connection leaks
    3) belt slip..

Looking into all of these could lead to a number of possible solutions.. many of which you and JB have mentioned. I'll be relocating to Phoenix pretty quick here as the summer golf gig is almost up. At that point I can really go at it.
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Will do.
    FYI - called Vortech twice (!) this morning. The gentleman that helped was very clear that boost isnt going to open the BO valve, manifold vacuum only, so BO valve operation isn't the problem.
    We talked about getting more boost out of the V7. So far I have spun the V7 up to 40,000 rpm (engine speed 5.5K). It can go to 60,000. So, I could probably get it to 9 pounds if I'm willing to get up above 7000 rpm engine speed - which I think is higher than Marty had me go in the tune session.
    The other route is a SMALLER SC pulley, which will turn the SC more for the same engine speed. However, smaller diameter means more chance for slip. As you have suggested, he mentioned 8 rib. Sigh...that maybe where this winds up.
    Bunches of trade offs and risks in this business.
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I recommended a 3.6" S/C pulley and an 10% OD Innovators West Balancer, remember? That combo will spin your S/C a little faster and most likely eliminate any belt slip. Plus you'll have a really good balancer. I was taught a long time ago to buy the most expensive balancer you can afford. It's job is to protect your engine from dangerous harmonics. You have a lot of time and money into this project, why not protect it?

On a side note, if you indeed have a 3.33 S/C pulley.......

Crank pulley dia / SC pulley dia X SC Gear ratio (V7 is 3.61) x Engine rpm = S/C impeller RPM

Ø6.5" / Ø3.33" X 3.61 x 5500 = 38,756 rpm

Wow the gear ratio on that thing is tiny! I only ran a 4.4/8.0 pulley set up on the F1-A and we saw 20#s on 93 at only 5,700 and the wastegate was already starting to bleed off excess.

Definitely look into a quality oversized lower at minimum. I went with ATI on mine. Summit carries a wide variety of different diameters for the 4.6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Wow the gear ratio on that thing is tiny! I only ran a 4.4/8.0 pulley set up on the F1-A and we saw 20#s on 93 at only 5,700 and the wastegate was already starting to bleed off excess.

Definitely look into a quality oversized lower at minimum. I went with ATI on mine. Summit carries a wide variety of different diameters for the 4.6.

I got that ratio from some random website. I just checked Vortech's website and it's actually 3.45:1.

Ø6.5" / Ø3.33" X 3.45 x 5500 = 37,038 rpm

I’ve only had the one centri and I was just used to calculating 5.40:1

Looking at Procharger’s site even the P1 is a 4.10:1

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder why Vortech built the V7 with the small(er) gear ratio.
    I'm using 6 & 9/16ths inches for the stock balancer diameter....couldn't find the exact spec anywhere. I wonder how this is measured? Outside of belt to outside of belt or top or rib to top of rib?, or?
    In any case, Vortech does have a nice blower speed calculator on their webpage..select blower & enter two pulley sizes and engine rpm.
    Thanks again guys...I will eventually prevail!
    mm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Hmmm. Makes me wonder why Vortech built the V7 with the small(er) gear ratio.
    I'm using 6 & 9/16ths inches for the stock balancer diameter....couldn't find the exact spec anywhere. I wonder how this is measured? Outside of belt to outside of belt or top or rib to top of rib?, or?
    In any case, Vortech does have a nice blower speed calculator on their webpage..select blower & enter two pulley sizes and engine rpm.
    Thanks again guys...I will eventually prevail!
    mm.jpg
    oops. not balancer diameter, pulley diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock balancer is definitely 6.5" diameter. This is just for reference, at 6k engine rpm my D1X is spinning at 52,455 rpm and I have 14psi max boost if my tires don't spin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information