Thread: I know, it could be one of a dozen things...

I know, it could be one of a dozen things...

Last night hopped in car to roll windows up and none of the interior lights came on when I opened door. Was able to start car (just to make sure I didn't have a dead battery) and roll windows up; all dash lights, gear shifter lights and headlights working but no kick panel lights or overhead lights. Adjusted dimmer switch to turn on interior lights and kick panel lights flashed on for just a millisecond and overhead lights remained dark; moved dimmer switch back and forth several times and nothing, other than dash/gear shifter lights getting dim/bright. Also, light in oil pressure gauge was pulsing slightly from dim to normal every time I moved dimmer switch; it's not the OEM gauge and I had an aftermarket LED installed in it. Voltmeter gauge light was fine.

Today jumped in car to head up to Lowe's and noticed kick panel lights and just the driver side light on overhead console came on; pass side still dark. Then noticed voltmeter gauge was not reading any voltage/acting dead. I was able to start car and drive to/from Lowe's w/o any issues, voltmeter gauge remained dead...it is also not OEM (Autometer like oil pressure) and has aftermarket LED light in it.

Where do I even start trying to troubleshoot this?

Will do some more 'investigation' after it gets dark tonight...

Edit (740pm): Just checked again and no kick panel lights came on and only driver side dome light came on when door is opened. Voltmeter gauge is dead, but light is on. Fiddle with dimmer switch and sometimes the kick panel lights would come on for a brief second then go out again. I'm guessing a wire harness/or frayed wire, but don't know where to look. Any help would be appreciated...TIA.
    Last edited by SilverPhoenix; 09-15-2022 at 04:51 PM.

Bad cell in the battery? Seems it’s always lighting and instrument issues when they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Well, my battery is only a year old, but the next time I go by the Auto Zone where I bought it from I'll pull in to have them test it...

Thread Information