Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine sounds like a an old Mercedes diesel

engine sounds like a an old Mercedes diesel

I got an issue, my engine sounds like an 80's Mercedes diesel. not exactly sure what it is but im afraid its a valve issue, doesnt exactly sound like valve tick, it also gets quicker with higher rpm but it doesn't get louder, is fairly faint. i got oil pressure and its not overheating. has anyone experienced this before? not sure if im describing the sound enough
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A ~117k miles
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe ~100k miles

Does it go away when the car heats up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Does it go away when the car heats up?
    No it doesn't, sounds the same from cold to warm. its kind of like a muffled tick but I hear it near the drivers side head area

Maybe a bit more information will help. I swapped my heads to some 9 thread heads, but I used the hydraulic lifters from the old head because the new ones didn't have any spring to them. the old lifters or whatever you want to call them had 130k miles, I used the old rockers as well but did not touch the spring or valve

Heads have a poor cooling passage at cylinder 8 which makes it run hotter over time and can cause issues with a bent valve or build up on valve. Not just Marauder but Cobra guys too. There is a head cooling mod out there but it won't fix it if already bad. Compression test on cyl. 8 can help determine. Not saying that is it, but it can't be ruled out either just yet.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Heads have a poor cooling passage at cylinder 8 which makes it run hotter over time and can cause issues with a bent valve or build up on valve. Not just Marauder but Cobra guys too. There is a head cooling mod out there but it won't fix it if already bad. Compression test on cyl. 8 can help determine. Not saying that is it, but it can't be ruled out either just yet.
    I did the cooling mod when I installed the new heads

Sounds like a lash adjuster not pumping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

is there a certain brand of lash adjusters that people here recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by DMANFROMNOWHERE View Post
    is there a certain brand of lash adjusters that people here recommend?
    OEM. If it's a timing chain issue, plan to do a full timing chain replacement. It's a lot of work but can be done with the engine in the car.

For reference:
    https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...des-Tensioners

https://www.modularmotorsportsracing...roducts_id=168

This is not necessary, but if you have OCD like I do, this flips the pass secondary tensioner so it tensions the chain on the correct side:

https://www.modularmotorsportsracing...roducts_id=455
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

I replaced the timing chain not too long ago, at around 115k miles I believe, I have 130k now, replaced heads and inspected timing chain and everything seemed fine so I reused it.

where can I buy OEM lash adjusters? mmr sells some but idk if thats the best place. from what ive seen its all pretty marked up

Tasca normally has decent prices.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

UPDATE: I found the issue. I know you're not supposed to swap parts until the issue is fixed but instead diagnose and replace only what is needed but I still went and bought the Hydraulic lash lifters. Wasn't it, but at least I got new parts on my new heads so it isn't that bad.

The issue was the timing chain. I took apart the front and found that the passenger side chain was a bit loose. there was tension where the tensioner was but it was loose where the guide was. everything still looks brand new and undamaged but I have extra new parts so I'm going to replace those and reinstall the tensioner, hopefully better this time. I'm sure this will solve the issue but I will keep you all posted!

This cars been down since April with a month or 2 of it finally working only to make a noise and be out of commission. I could've had a shop fix all of this by now but its all a learning process so no regrets

That’s normal. Dumb design.

Rotate the engine and you’ll see it tense up, then slap around depending on where the valves are.

SOLD 12/31/2021

UPDATE: runs like new. I replaced the tensioner with another new OEM tensioner and it fixed the issue.
    Not exactly sure why this happened. it might be because the heads got resurfaced and thus the tensioner needed more tension?
    maybe I didn't install it right the first time? but if I didn't, why did the noise start happening months after everything was reassembled instead of right away?
    I had fresh oil and oil pressure.

beats me, but if your car ever sounds like a 80s German diesel, might want to look into timing chain tension.

not fixed, never mind... not only that but a bigger issue arose.

Details?

SOLD 12/31/2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information