Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine sounds like a an old Mercedes diesel

the noise came back with a vengeance, whatever the issue was... it broke my valve cover.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A ~117k miles
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe ~100k miles

Front of cover? Did you replace the tensioners when you did the chain?

I did a bone head move years ago where I didn’t install the cam sprocket spacer. Oops.

It was trouble free all day including three hour round trip to the dyno, dyno time at 20 psi boost, and ran errands all afternoon.

Two miles from home and zero warning, snapped the cam sprocket in three pieces, imploded the tensioner, and sent all the shrapnel into the oil pan.. I had it all back up and running to perfection three days later and heading to the Louisville meet.

Mistakes happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

yeah, I had bought the timing kit from adtr.net so everything is new

so a bit more of an update, it was the drivers side exhaust
    camshaft bolt. it completely sheared off and broke the valve cover.
    it also broke the camshaft position sensor and both the head of the bolt and the plastic of the camshaft position sensor are somewhere in my oil pan probably.
    I have to fish it out somehow, I'm probably gonna take the timing cover off, remove the remaining piece of the camshaft bolt from the camshaft, replace it with an ARP bolt i bought and fish out the bolt with a magnet and hopefully the plastic with something I can scrape it with if it doesn't come out when I change the oil.
    not sure exactly why it sounded the way it did but there was something moving there.
    luckily the timing sprocket is still there and in position, I'm pretty sure timing is still good so there was not a lot of damage other than the valve cover and camshaft position sensor. there are some scuffs and scratches here and there but nothing that would affect the performance of the car or on any mating surface.
    I pray that this is it and im finally able to drive my car once again.

Wow, quite the mess. I fished all mine out the front of the pan with the timing cover off. Lots of brake clean to wash any remainder towards the plug.

I forgot to mention the five brand new stainless valves that I also bent..

I ended making a clock out of the nuked parts on that car.

Keep us updated!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Sounds like the cam sprocket bolt came loose. That's probably when the noise started. Then after running loose it broke. My guess is a TTY bolt was reused?
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    Sounds like the cam sprocket bolt came loose. That's probably when the noise started. Then after running loose it broke. My guess is a TTY bolt was reused?
    that was my guess too, however I wouldn't know if it was since i bought the head already assembled with the cams on. I replaced the hydraulic lash adjusters or lifters and the rockers but the cams were still on, didn't touch them.
    I haven't had a lot of time on my hand so I haven't been able to do much but i have taken the timing cover off and found the plastic piece from the camshaft position sensor, however I haven't found the camshaft bolt yet. I got a magnet that bends so hopefully with some luck ill be able to fish it out fairly quickly. the only thing left to do after that is remove what's left of the bolt, replace it and seal everything back up.

That clock is so cool man! awesome conversation starter!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Wow, quite the mess. I fished all mine out the front of the pan with the timing cover off. Lots of brake clean to wash any remainder towards the plug.

I forgot to mention the five brand new stainless valves that I also bent..

I ended making a clock out of the nuked parts on that car.

Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by DMANFROMNOWHERE View Post
    that was my guess too, however I wouldn't know if it was since i bought the head already assembled with the cams on. I replaced the hydraulic lash adjusters or lifters and the rockers but the cams were still on, didn't touch them.
    I haven't had a lot of time on my hand so I haven't been able to do much but i have taken the timing cover off and found the plastic piece from the camshaft position sensor, however I haven't found the camshaft bolt yet. I got a magnet that bends so hopefully with some luck ill be able to fish it out fairly quickly. the only thing left to do after that is remove what's left of the bolt, replace it and seal everything back up.
    Freedom Racing has these cheap. Or use ARP reusable bolts

YF7Z-6279-AA Camshaft Sprocket Bolt (Torque to Yield)
    F1AZ-6278-A Camshaft Sprocket Washer
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information