Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Seat Swap

Bench Seat Swap

Hello all! I’m new here, got what most would probably call a stupid question. I love the panther platform, and I love the bench front seats found in the Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car, but I find them to be under powered. How much of a hassle would it be to put the bench front seat from a Town Car into a Marauder? Would it be better to use a different bench seat? I understand I have to remove the console and reposition the shifter to the steering column. If this has already been discussed, I apologize. If there’s a link to a DIY page for this swap already, I would greatly appreciate it!

thank you.

I would imagine it would be a HUGE hassle to convert the front seats in a MM to a single bench seat. The biggest questions are, is it even possible to move the shifter from the center console to the column and if so, is it feasible, and just...why do that? The console shifter is a hallmark feature of the Marauder.

May as well just drive a GM or LTC...

Use a Marquis, drop in a Lincoln Aviator engine, and if you want the look, you can get an aftermarket Marauder bumper cover. But yes, you can change to a column shifter, but you need a steering column from a column shift car and its shifter cable, also a gauge cluster from a cilumn shift car, otherwise you have no shifter indicator.

I'm also a big fan of old school having a front bench seat in a car. Kind of would have been cool if that was an option. Makes good for the wife sit close on long trips. But I don't think I would ever do that to my Marauder. Just wouldn't seem right given that it was only made with the captain seats.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

You'll be hard pressed to find a write up of someone molesting a Marauder like that. You're best bet would be to get a donor GM and do the swap. But first, you have to get a Marauder....
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

So buy a CV, MGM, or Town Car and 4V swap it......
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    I would imagine it would be a HUGE hassle to convert the front seats in a MM to a single bench seat. The biggest questions are, is it even possible to move the shifter from the center console to the column and if so, is it feasible, and just...why do that? The console shifter is a hallmark feature of the Marauder.

May as well just drive a GM or LTC...
    pretty sure I just explained why I want to do it. Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis/Town Cars don’t have enough power. Is everyone here a smug jerk?

I reread your response and thank you, that is actually helpful. My previous response I was coming from a place of annoyance with how rude of other responses I have been receiving. My apologies.
    Last edited by Marauder_Vic; 10-13-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    You'll be hard pressed to find a write up of someone molesting a Marauder like that. Your best bet would be to get a donor GM and do the swap. But first, you have to get a Marauder....
    Molesting…. Hyperbolic much?

M

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I'm also a big fan of old school having a front bench seat in a car. Kind of would have been cool if that was an option. Makes good for the wife sit close on long trips. But I don't think I would ever do that to my Marauder. Just wouldn't seem right given that it was only made with the captain seats.
    Thank you for the polite and honest reply.

Quote Originally Posted by 8UWITH6 View Post
    So buy a CV, MGM, or Town Car and 4V swap it......
    is that an easier solution than a bench seat swap? I am capable of doing an engine swap, but, correct me if I’m wrong, the bench seat just seems easier.

pretty sure I just explained why I want to do it. Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis/Town Cars don’t have enough power. Is everyone here a smug jerk?

If everyone around you appears to be a smug jerk, then...

If you don't want opinions that may differ from yours, don't venture onto public forums. IMO, I think what you want to do is dumb, but hey, prove me wrong. Swap in a bench seat and move the shifter to the column and post pics of it...you might change my mind.

Get a nice low mile Lincoln and super charge it. That will take care of your low power issue.
    73TORINO SPORT 112K M. BOUGHT NEW
    04 DTR 42K M.
    03 BLK 9K M.
    07 GT500 10K M.
    98 MARK VIII 70K M. BOUGHT NEW
    21 EXPLORER PLATINUM 3.0
    18 GENESIS G80 5.0
    78 RANCHERO 5.0
    54 GMC

It would be highly involved. You would need to change the steering column to one with a column shifter, shifter cable,and your PATS sensor receiver ring before you even consider changing your seats.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

and before you do any of that you need to figure out how to deal with the airbags mounted in the bucket seats.... do bench seats have the same airbags? also what about the seat controls of a bench seat vs the buckets?
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information