Thread: Car movement on highway when giving gas

Car movement on highway when giving gas

Has anyone experienced this... While driving on the highway about 60 -70 MPH and you give the car gas it seems to move a bit in the rear end then after you take your foot off the gas it moves back., ever so slightly. I do have a right rear shock that is leaking....I am wondering if that could be the issue. I checked the rear control arms and other rear suspension components and all bushing, they are just fine.

I'd give the watts link a look and make sure everything is tight
    Ex Panther Owner

Its very common for the rear control arm bushings to be bad, especially the upper passenger side. ive seen it on a bunch of panthers. If your going to replace one, you might as well do all four of them. You could get all four from moog for under $150. Ive had it feel like torque steer, on the gas the car drifts one way, off the gas the car drifts another direction..... ive also seen them all be worn and feel like a bad u-joint.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    Its very common for the rear control arm bushings to be bad, especially the upper passenger side. ive seen it on a bunch of panthers. If your going to replace one, you might as well do all four of them. You could get all four from moog for under $150. Ive had it feel like torque steer, on the gas the car drifts one way, off the gas the car drifts another direction..... ive also seen them all be worn and feel like a bad u-joint.
    Yup! And you you won’t see the oblong hole until you take it apart. My car used to chew thru the Metco bushings every couple thousand miles until I finally replaced with the poly version.

It will almost feel like rear steer every time you get on the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Watts link and replace the stamped rear control arms were one of my 1st suspension mods just hated that tale wag at highway speeds. Also check front sway bar end link bushings.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

My control arms were fine when I replaced them with Heinous Billet ones @ 42,000 miles. I noticed an immediate difference and tightness to the rear end. It took the float out of highway spirited driving and all the pinion deflection is gone which equates to healthy chirpage on the 1-2 upshift. On my 2004 Town Car the rear C/A bushings WERE shot and I noticed a floaty rear axle likely attributed to slight left/right swaying as the axle moved under the car. New OE ones alleviated that and the car is staying ALL Motorcraft.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Physics!!

Yup! Junk the stock upper and lower rear control arms and the watts link. You can feel the difference when you first get into car BEFORE you put the keys into the ignition! I only weigh 190, and my car would waggle ever so slightly even just closing the door. The first time you and a passenger get in, the doors will close like a bank vault, and the car won't move at all. Acceleration and deceleration, and side to side waggle are 90% eliminated. For the money, the tune and the control arms both immediately and radically improve driving, so much so, that one wonders WHY they didn't build them all this way.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Thanks for the info

Did you keep the stock arms and watts links and just replace the bushings with polyurethane bushings? If so where can I get those bushings at cause my car is doing the same thing as the creator of this thread. My MM is an 04 and has 181k on it.

Thread Information