I have replaced the bulbs which illuminate the instrument cluster within the last few years. On a recent road trip I noticed that the speedometer needle was only glowing red about halfway up to the numbers. Is this something which I can fix by replacing the bulbs again? I notice that that the black center of the speedometer needle does not have the red glow behind it that I see on the tach, temp, and fuel gauges. Maybe this means it is a bulb? Otherwise what could it be?

I should add that none of the other places in the instrument cluster are "dead" as they have been in the past when I changed the bulbs out.

There have been several instances recently where certain parts of the cluster (mostly the fuel gauge) has not illuminated and stays off sometimes a day sometimes two days but thus far has always illuminated eventually. My research on this points to the alternator -- I do have a rebuilt alt on the car (not sure of the brand, bought at a small rebuild shop in Queens) -- but the FLAPS test of the alternator has given me a clean bill of health. Some fluctuation on the voltmeter, which has improved since I added an extra ground wire.

I'm chasing electrical gremlins!