Thread: Loss of All Forward Gears

Loss of All Forward Gears

So, I had my car out and about on Sunday, went out to breakfast, ran some errands. So, I'm almost home, slow down for the last turn before my house, hit the gas and nothing happens but some engine revving. Thankfully I had enough momentum to roll right back up into my driveway. But there were no forward gears. Still has reverse. There were no bangs, pops, whatever. I didn't hear any odd sounds coming from the transmission. Any ideas on what this could be? This is a rebuilt transmission I picked up almost ten years ago, don't think I've even put 10K miles on it yet. BTW this is an '03 with the 4R70W.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

How does the gear selector feel? Is it still attached, can you feel in “shift.”

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

ive seen forward clutch drums just break with no reason. I can assume, since the trans has pressure for reverse, that a mechanical failure has happened inside the trans. ive had good luck with www.car-part.com and picking up a used marauder transmission for 400 isnt too horrible. You can use the wrong trans from a mustang and add a spacer at the end of the driveshaft, because the marauder one is longer.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    How does the gear selector feel? Is it still attached, can you feel in “shift.”
    Feels the same way it always does. WHich I'm glad for because I certainly don't want to have to replace the shifter cable again.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    ive seen forward clutch drums just break with no reason. I can assume, since the trans has pressure for reverse, that a mechanical failure has happened inside the trans. ive had good luck with www.car-part.com and picking up a used marauder transmission for 400 isnt too horrible. You can use the wrong trans from a mustang and add a spacer at the end of the driveshaft, because the marauder one is longer.
    I figured something broke big in there. I was hoping maybe it was a weird simple thing that could be fixed by dropping the pan, but I'm in no position to be dropping the whole transmission. And I don't have space for more transmissions to be sitting around the garage. I still have the original trans which in theory might only need some solenoids and a speed sensor, but that's only a guess. Plus I have a C6 floating around in there for my old wagon. I'll probably just have to get it towed to a shop. Ugh. Thanks for the insight into the situation.
    "Beast, Jr."

Thread Information