Thread: Better (best?) belt for the V7 JT ADTR config

Better (best?) belt for the V7 JT ADTR config

Hey Guys,
    I've had ongoing belt slip at the SC pulley since startup about 11 months ago. I've been shrinking the belt size incrementally and I think I found the correct length.
    The belt that seems to reduce slip significantly is the gates K061099. It's 110.5 inches on the outside circumference. Because I saw a good deal on a K061098 (about 1 inch smaller OC) I bought it and tried to put it on; too small.

1) Best evidence of prior slip was black dust pile up, right behind the SC pulley, which unfortunately isn't visible unless the SC is taken off the engine
    2) Max boost achieved prior to the 1099 belt was ~ 6.6 lbs, while just after putting the 1099 on, I was able to get 10+, and there was more to go...I ran out of road :-)
    3) Using a torque wrench I discovered that the torque required to move the OEM tensioner (Motorcraft BT-68) increases as the tensioner is rotated further and further to its movement limit. I think this is important as it means that a smaller belt will be held in place with more torque than a looser belt. Unfortunately, it also means that as a belt stretches it will be held in place with less and less torque.

I did notice that at around 10lbs, 6500 rpm or so, the engine stumbled a bit...I thought I read somewhere the ECM does this for some reason? (I did have the traction off and the overdrive off).

As always, thanks for the help guys.
    -KK
    Last edited by azgolfrat; 03-14-2023 at 10:42 AM.
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

The first thing I’d do is replace the OEM tensioner with one more subtitle for boost like a Thump or a Roush.

I’m not familiar with this set up but is there anywhere you can add an additional pulley on the left side timing cover stand off? I had one on mine that I bought off Jerry even though I didn’t really need it as my supercharger was driven by its own belt and both belts were set up with manual tensioners.

8 rib swap?

Other than that a Gates Fleetrunner (green) belt is the best I’ve ever heard of or used. I was able to achieve 20.5 #s on the old Trilogy set up I had prior to the Centri. Of course that was coupled with the smallest pulley up top and the largest pulley available on the crank and a Thump RRR Racing tensioner to keep everything in check. Also keep in mind a Trilogy is also separately driven and it’s 8 rib, not 6. Never once slippage, just completely unusable boost as I was really only making heat at that point..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

added pulley location

It looks like there is a spot on the drivers side timing cover. A pulley would fit there...close to coolant line, but I think it would fit...
    Do you know the recommended diameter of the pulley to be added? I've tried to upload a photo of the location...but the site says I am over my quota?
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

PM Jerry, lij372

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I don't think the pulley will work. A pulley will physically fit with Gerry's spacer, but the belt will end up hitting the Vortec Idler pulley bracket that's below the Alt.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Thread Information