Thread: Gas Mileage

Gas Mileage

Hello. I was curious what kind of gas mileage people are getting. I see it is supposed to be 17 in the city but I was wondering if that is a little high. Also, does the MM require 91 octane?

91 minimum. I don't check my mileage, not a daily driver, I would say more like 15 city pending your right foot.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Before I swapped the 3.55 gear out for a 4.10 in mine I was getting 16-18/22-24 city/highway. After the swap I get 1-2mpg less...

Beautiful. Thank you for the responses, and I was curious about the gear difference. There is a 03 MM for sale with 70k miles and the dealer is asking 15k if you finance through them. 16k if you don't. Market wise that seems like a great deal. I am trying to get a mechanic to go with me but that might not happen. If so what are some obvious faults to look for? I have very little knowledge with cars, but I am handy. Maybe I can slide under the car and look at stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost261 View Post
    Beautiful. Thank you for the responses, and I was curious about the gear difference. There is a 03 MM for sale with 70k miles and the dealer is asking 15k if you finance through them. 16k if you don't. Market wise that seems like a great deal. I am trying to get a mechanic to go with me but that might not happen. If so what are some obvious faults to look for? I have very little knowledge with cars, but I am handy. Maybe I can slide under the car and look at stuff.
    Common issues: LCM, BCM, EATC (o-rings), blend door actuator, radio tuner. Ask the dealer if the LCM has been repaired/replaced per the recall issued approximately 5 years ago. Do a self-test on the EATC...several videos on YouTube on how to do this.

Depending on how previous owner(s) drove the car (conservative vs hammer it 24/7), cylinder head #8 can be a weak point and produce ticking. Air compressor for the rear suspension air bags can crap out early due to water collection where it sits...drill a few drainage holes to mitigate. Also, physically check air bags to ensure they aren't rotting. Make sure wiper cowl is relatively clean; junk likes to collect where the wiper motor sits, causing it to crap out.

Best/cheapest/quickest upgrades are subjective, but swapping out the 3.55 gear for a 4.10 and having it tuned will wake it up for less than $1K (I hope...I had this done to mine 10 years ago and it cost around $600...don't know what prices would be like nowadays)

Lots of 'tips/tricks' for being a MM owner on this site...

I'm curious what got you interested in a Marauder, if you want a big body ford, crown vic / grand marqs are cheaper and parts are more plentiful. They also don't require premium.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I used to have a 2010, I think that was the year, Crown Vic LX Sport. Ya know, center console, leather interior, silver trim. It got totaled in a hail storm. I miss the car and there are none of those available. Currently I drive a 2016 chevy cruze with 70k miles and it runs perfectly fine, but my son will be getting it in a couple years. So, I need a new daily driver and something that isn't very expensive like 30k or more. I do like the Toyota Tacoma but I have read bad things about them. That is also a 30k+ vehicle. The plan is to use this one that I found as a daily driver eventually but I wouldn't mind putting 4.10 gears in it and maybe some other things.
    Last edited by ghost261; 03-29-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Thread Information