Thread: Compass, Garage Door Opener and Compass Console / Reading lights

Compass, Garage Door Opener and Compass Console / Reading lights

Hey Guys,

My 2003 MM compass has been iffy since 2021. Sometimes it comes on, and most times it does not. Additionally, the programmable garage door opener (which is part of the same console) is about 50-50 wrt working. I cannot determine a rhyme or reason for its functionality (or not). Finally, the overhead lights that are part of the same console will sometimes work and sometimes not, in tandem with the garage door opener.

I read the sticky about the small resistor replacement on the compass PCB. So I took the unit all apart, examined it closely and really couldn't see a problem with the resistors. No issues with power delivery as voltage is present. When I put it back together, everything worked again...for a while.

Any thoughts?
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Most likely the same issue with other electronic boards/circuits used in the MM...poor quality solder used to solder connections.

Thanks - Try to find and replace the entire board?
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

A little over a year ago I got the urge to have my compass fixed and found a service on Ebay (no joke) where you send in the compass and they do whatever needs to be done to get it working again. I think the price was $50 and I literally had my compass packed and ready to ship, but I changed my mind and decided not to go through with it.

After I typed the above, I decided to see if I could find this again and I did; MM.net member RoadWarrior pointed me in their direction. Website: rapidtransitservices.com/home

Looks like it's $40 to fix a MM compass. On Ebay it says the seller is away until May 19th. If I can remember a couple weeks from now, I may actually use this service.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPhoenix View Post
    A little over a year ago I got the urge to have my compass fixed and found a service on Ebay (no joke) where you send in the compass and they do whatever needs to be done to get it working again. I think the price was $50 and I literally had my compass packed and ready to ship, but I changed my mind and decided not to go through with it.

After I typed the above, I decided to see if I could find this again and I did; MM.net member RoadWarrior pointed me in their direction. Website: rapidtransitservices.com/home

Looks like it's $40 to fix a MM compass. On Ebay it says the seller is away until May 19th. If I can remember a couple weeks from now, I may actually use this service.
    I can fix it for $25.00 including return shipping. I've fixed many of these. I can also take a look at he rest of the board and resolder anything that looks suspicious.

PM me.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

FastBlackMerc IS THE MAN,. Great work, great guy, does exactly what he says he will do, and then more! Why send anything to an unknown (eBay) party, when you have an MM.net Marauder Owner who can do it. BTW FBM, I am ready for my LED bulbs...

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Thread Information