Thread: Are brake lights controlled by LCM

Blog Entries

Are brake lights controlled by LCM

I started having intermittent tail lights and brake lights. I’ve had my LCM rebuilt once already didn’t think it was a temporary fix. Is the TSB a permanent fix or does it go bad eventually too

Any issues trying to shift out of park? If so, check the brake switch (above the brake pedal).

Who rebuilt your LCM? If you had the LCM rebuilt by a Ford Dealership per the TSB, then yes it is unfortunately a temporary fix even though it's supposed to be permanent. There's a thread on this site that explains what Ford's 'fix' to the LCM issue is and why the LCM will eventually fail again.

The Ford FSA for the LCM headlight relay was some open curciuitry and lots of wire splicing. When done it looks similar to an alarm installed by a novice in the dark. The relay for that CAN be done inside the LCM with a 5 pin 30/40a relay. I had a Ford relay sitting around so that was my fix. More than 10 years ago.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

The LCM does NOT control the brake lights.

Did I repair your LCM?

The original fix was to replace the LCM with a new one. Unfortunately it was the same as the original one and will fail again.

After Ford ran out of LCMs, they devised a new "fix". This entailed cutting the harness to the LCM and splicing in a new control box. Most of the results have been not too good.

I can repair your LCM, replacing all the relays with higher amperage ones and the headlight relay is upgraded to a 40A external unit. I guarantee my repairs for the life of the vehicle. I have done 500+ of these.

I offer 2 options: 1. Send me your LCM, I repair it and send it back. 2. You send me money, I send you a repaired LCM, when I get your old repairable LCM back I refund the core charge.

PM me.

Here is the MM.net writeup on the latest recall.

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...all-Documented
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Just finished my installation of the Cardone LCM P/N: 737 1002. The wife is happy now to have headlights instead of driving with the fog/driving lights. The original LCM was replaced at Pearson Ford in Zionsville, In., on May 29, 2014 after the tail lights wouldn't illuminate, driving about 40 miles home with the flashers. This LCM was done reference the A 14N01C RECALL 8931 WF94 AUTH Code: 008932. When I removed the LCM that the dealership installed, upon opening the module, I discovered that on the circuit board was printed Continental 1996, 922 1305-C 02-04-8. A8441748R0900. Apparently this unit was obtained from a salvage yard or one that was left over from who knows what. I was misled to believe that I would receive a "new" one..
    This past Monday, I notified the NHTSA to lodge another complaint. I also inquired as to the whether a replacement would be under warranty. The representative answered, that yes it would.
    Who can you trust? Not the dealership and probably not the agency. I'm surprised the 96 LCM lasted as long as it did, 27 years ?
    Last edited by TJCOX; 05-24-2023 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJCOX View Post
    Just finished my installation of the Cardone LCM P/N: 737 1002. The wife is happy now to have headlights instead of driving with the fog/driving lights. The original LCM was replaced at Pearson Ford in Zionsville, In., on May 29, 2014 after the tail lights wouldn't illuminate, driving about 40 miles home with the flashers. This LCM was done reference the A 14N01C RECALL 8931 WF94 AUTH Code: 008932. When I removed the LCM that the dealership installed, upon opening the module, I discovered that on the circuit board was printed Continental 1996, 922 1305-C 02-04-8. A8441748R0900. Apparently this unit was obtained from a salvage yard or one that was left over from who knows what. I was misled to believe that I would receive a "new" one..
    This past Monday, I notified the NHTSA to lodge another complaint. I also inquired as to the whether a replacement would be under warranty. The representative answered, that yes it would.
    Who can you trust? Not the dealership and probably not the agency. I'm surprised the 96 LCM lasted as long as it did, 27 years ?
    I can properly repair your LCM..... DM me.

How long the LCM lasts is proportional to the amount of time the headlights are on.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thread Information