Thread: Loud intake noise suddenly

Loud intake noise suddenly

About a month ago car started to have idle problems. It was bad when cold and got better when the car was closed loop but still rough. I replaced the IAC solenoid and that made it better but not fixed. I figured the car needed time to learn. Drove today to get gas and the woman at the pump kept looking at my car with a puzzled look. I turned the radio off I I could hear a lot of intake noise like a small trumpet was stuck in my intake. Idle was good. I think I may have gotten a bad IAC but is there anything else that could cause this? Car had 140k on it. This is the first thing I have replaced on the intake. Still original EGR, checked the PCV valve and it was clean and free. Not sure what else to try.
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

I can't recall what this part is called, but it gave me problems similar to yours and then after a couple weeks my car wouldn't start at all. Might not be what your issue is, but maybe something else in that area...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any codes,CEL ? Whistling could be vac leak, air intake leak. Whistling can also be a pulley,idler. Kinda sounds like a centri unit. Does sound pitch change with throttle?
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

No codes, No cracked or broken hoses. I did a live data scan and I see that the IAC is in learn mode which makes sense but it is at 50% activation which I think is normal. The only issue I see in the data stream is one of my O2 sensors is going bad. I may buy another IAC and this time go for the Motorcraft part and see if that fixes it. Bought an aftermarket last time.

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

Check the vacuum lines under the throttle body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I did some searches and the Mach 1 boards all agree that all of the aftermarket IAC's trumpet. I dropped the money on a Motorcraft replacement. Will update once installed.

Performance
    Dress

Got the Motorcraft IAC today and swapped out the no name aftermarket and presto...noise gone and idle is smooth.

Performance
    Dress

Thread Information