Thread: Interior Lights Don't Turn Off

Interior Lights Don't Turn Off

So, after quite a while of not going anywhere, I finally get my Marauder on the road again. The fiancé and I stop at a store, all good. Get back in the car... The interior lights stay on even after all the doors are closed. Open and close all of the doors several time, they won't turn off. So now the lights are stuck on while driving at night, which is quite annoying. I thought maybe a door switch was doing something funny, but unlike my older Fords I can't find any switches for the lights in the doors (maybe I couldn't see anything we'll since it was well after the sun went down). I also figured that maybe I could just pull the fuse, but it doesn't look like I can pull a fuse and only kill the interior lights. Thankfully the timer still works properly and the lights eventually turn off after the car is parked.

So what do I have to poke at to get this figured out? Is this a door issue? An issue with the LCM? Something else? My LCM was replaced a few years back during that special extended warranty coverage, which was great at the time because driving down country back roads without headlights that stay on really sucks.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    So, after quite a while of not going anywhere, I finally get my Marauder on the road again. The fiancé and I stop at a store, all good. Get back in the car... The interior lights stay on even after all the doors are closed. Open and close all of the doors several time, they won't turn off. So now the lights are stuck on while driving at night, which is quite annoying. I thought maybe a door switch was doing something funny, but unlike my older Fords I can't find any switches for the lights in the doors (maybe I couldn't see anything we'll since it was well after the sun went down). I also figured that maybe I could just pull the fuse, but it doesn't look like I can pull a fuse and only kill the interior lights. Thankfully the timer still works properly and the lights eventually turn off after the car is parked.

So what do I have to poke at to get this figured out? Is this a door issue? An issue with the LCM? Something else? My LCM was replaced a few years back during that special extended warranty coverage, which was great at the time because driving down country back roads without headlights that stay on really sucks.
    Was the LCM replaced or did they install the new "fix"? If they installed the new "fix" it's probably what is causing your issues.

If they did physically replace the LCM, try tapping the LCM and see if the lights go off. If they do a relay is bad in the LCM.

Jim

aka: fastblackmerc
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

They did the replacement of the LCM. I just tried tapping on the LCM, but the interior lights stay on. If I remove both connections to the LCM the lights will dim and turn off, and come back on as soon as I reconnect either plug.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

Quote Originally Posted by ledzilla View Post
    They did the replacement of the LCM. I just tried tapping on the LCM, but the interior lights stay on. If I remove both connections to the LCM the lights will dim and turn off, and come back on as soon as I reconnect either plug.
    The door switches for the lights are on the inside of the latch assembly.

Is the headlight dimmer all the way on?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    The door switches for the lights are on the inside of the latch assembly.

Is the headlight dimmer all the way on?
    That's the first thing I checked, since I sometimes tend to brush the switch with my leg as I get in, but it's not all the way on.
    "Beast, Jr."

The LCM gets a signal to turn the lights on or off by only TWO inputs. The driver door wire is isolated from the three passenger doors so ANY of the three doors could cause that. The driver door switch will cause a chime believing the door is open. It is unfortunate the doors cannot be individually unplugged like I did when the switch failed in my Taurus. But, they do not illuminate when the car is moving so that was beneficial.

If you're inclined here's the colors: Dark blue is the driver door trigger. It is PIN 11, gray 22 pin plug @ the LCM. The other three doors cumulatively are black/orange and are PIN 11, gray 16 pin plug also at the LCM.

Those wires will show ground when doors are open.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    The LCM gets a signal to turn the lights on or off by only TWO inputs. The driver door wire is isolated from the three passenger doors so ANY of the three doors could cause that. The driver door switch will cause a chime believing the door is open. It is unfortunate the doors cannot be individually unplugged like I did when the switch failed in my Taurus. But, they do not illuminate when the car is moving so that was beneficial.

If you're inclined here's the colors: Dark blue is the driver door trigger. It is PIN 11, gray 22 pin plug @ the LCM. The other three doors cumulatively are black/orange and are PIN 11, gray 16 pin plug also at the LCM.

Those wires will show ground when doors are open.
    I'll give that a look when I can get back to it. It's a bit too rainy right now for me to putz with it. Too bad my garage ended up being a mess and I can't get the car back in it right now.
    "Beast, Jr."

Got it all handled for now. It was the front passenger door. Found that orange/black wire to have ground with all but the driver door open. Worked my way around the long way disconnecting the wire from the latches until I finally got to the passenger door and the interior light finally turned off. Seems like it might be an inconsistent ground issue because a couple times it turned off ok, and a couple times the interior light randomly turned on while the car was parked.
    "Beast, Jr."

Thread Information