Thread: Removing crankshaft pulley

Removing crankshaft pulley

Hi Guys,
    Iíve been working on removing the 10% od innovators west dampener / pulley off crankshaft for a bit now, with no success.
    Iím using a puller tool (which I used to pull off the oem pulley last summer), Iíve lubed up the arena with pb blaster, and I have two 3 ft long breaker bars in place, one to turn the puller stud and one to stop balancer rotation. Thatís a lot of force, and yet it doesnít want to budge.
    When I put the 10% balancer on, I used anti sieze on the nose of the crankshaft and on the mating balancer surface.
    Iíve used an inspection mirror to make sure the adaptor on the end of the stud is hitting the crankshaft nose. It is.

Any ideas?

Iím calling innovators westÖthey are busy right now.

Thanks
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I don't suppose there's a set screw or something that needs to be removed first? Other than that, seems like you'd be doing the things I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Iíve been working on removing the 10% od innovators west dampener / pulley off crankshaft for a bit now, with no success.
    Iím using a puller tool (which I used to pull off the oem pulley last summer), Iíve lubed up the arena with pb blaster, and I have two 3 ft long breaker bars in place, one to turn the puller stud and one to stop balancer rotation. Thatís a lot of force, and yet it doesnít want to budge.
    When I put the 10% balancer on, I used anti sieze on the nose of the crankshaft and on the mating balancer surface.
    Iíve used an inspection mirror to make sure the adaptor on the end of the stud is hitting the crankshaft nose. It is.

Any ideas?

Iím calling innovators westÖthey are busy right now.

Thanks
    Is there a washer in there like on the original crank pulleys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You didn't mention removing the crank washer.

Did you?

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    You didn't mention removing the crank washer.

Did you?
    yes! that got me once before - when removing oem pulley. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I got it off! Called innovators west and while they chose words carefully, they indicated if everything was set up right, just use more force. Using the handle pipes from a floor jack, with a sturdy screwdriver pushed into one of the pipe ends to be used for anti crank rotation, it finally gave. There was a decent amount of crusted up anti seize that may have actually made it harder to get the pulley off, dont know. The key way still had some white lithium grease I had used when initially sliding the pulley/ balancer on.
    I will post a pic of my removal set up later today. Thanks for the inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used this set up to tighten water pump pulley bolts ( old serp belt)
    ABB0D184-EFF8-4C76-9C42-6210AFA1C087.jpeg

Thread Information