Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Arm Rest Too Low

schuvwj Guest

Unhappy Door Arm Rest Too Low

Either my left arm is too short or my left front door side arm rest too low. I've tried to lower the seat but its as low as it will go. Middle arm rest for right arm is no problem. Has anyone else experianced this also?

I did not have any luck searching on past threads.

Does anyone have a fix other that making my left arm longer?

james_hart6 Guest
    Bill,

The armrest isn't right for me, either. I'd like it a bit higher; also a dead pedal that adjusted with the b/g pedals, an adjustable headrest (fore and aft, not up and down - Renault had one in the 70's that worked very well. Of course the CARS were junk, but the headrests were nice ), and more lateral support in the driver's seat. At 5'9", 180 lbs, I think I might be a tad short for "optimal driving position" in this car.

There is a supplier on the boards here that has a dead pedal kit available, but I've not seen a custom outfitter for the door panels.

'Course, all it really takes is money .

It being winter here in Michigan, the MM is in the garage except for occasional runs on dry days to keep everything lubed, so I won't be looking at any modifications until the Springtime.

If anyone has an answer to the armrest position problem, I'd like to see it too.

Regards,

Jim

I am left handed and therefore drive with my left hand on the wheel. The right arm rest is indeed too low but I just put my right arm against the passenger headrest and it feels very comfortable there.

slowpoke

Mark McQuaide Guest
    Yep, it's way too low unless your arms are 5 feet long. Maybe a pillow for long drives?

schuvwj Guest
    Maybe we could cut a 2X4 and duct tape it in!

Mark McQuaide Guest
    Give it a week and someone here will have a custom rest developed complete with logo...

looking97233 Guest
    I think the real problem is that the seat will not go down low enough for tall people. I asked about this and got a print out exploded view of the seat and mounting from my dealer after looking at the car and the picture, I don't think there any thing to play with. The seat bottoms are just too tall. They are bolted directly to the floor, there is no spacers or tall bracets or rails that look like they could be modified.

My complaint is not the arm rest, though it is too low. My problem is that when I am stopped at a light, I have to bend my head way down to see the light. The only way to avoid this is to stop way short, but then I am too far back to trip the light. I have found a custom shop that does mods to car interiors and seats, but don't have the money to go talk to them yet. When I do, I'll post my findings. Also will find the labor cost to install the factory seat heaters.

Andrew10AE Guest
    ooooh... factory seat heaters on 300As... sounds niiiice

schuvwj Guest
    Yes, I hope someone comes out with a fix for the arm rest being too low soon! I'll be ready if they do.
    Maybe L/M will? Never mind!

looking97233: I know your problem with the stop lights. At 6'6'' I have thought of having the sunvisors removed. I agree the arm rest is a little low even for the Big Dog. Still it one of the best rides I have had in a long long time inside a car. Been driving Ford F-150 last 6 years just because of the inside room. Love the MM!
    Big Dog
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Always had probs with any sun visor and seeing lights. Left armrest too low, right is perfect (arm on rest, hand on shifter). Seat all the way tilted back and back nearly all the way up. Seat fair distance back.

looking97233 Guest
    Big Dog: I have decided to remove the visor from the drivers side, I never use it. I perfer sunglasses. I havent gotten around to it yet, bur when I remove it, I will seal it in plastic with dome of those salt crystal thingys. The dual visor takes up almost 1.5in of vertical space.

schuvwj Guest
    Left side arm rest is bugging me! Too Low!

Maybe some manufacturer can make an arm rest that mounts on the left side of the seat back and can be lifted/swiveled out of the way when getting out of our MM.

I also made a bracket to lengthen the dead pedal about 3 inches closer to the floor. My legs are too long for the standard mount position.

Higher armrests on the door panels would be nice, even with the armrest on the console. It's hard for me to picture a mod that would look good though. Maybe somebody could come up with a replacement armrest pad that would mount in the door panel the same as the stock one.

I don't think modifying the seat back is a good idea, as there are airbags in there.

I also moved my dead pedal closer to the floor, only about 1-1/5", and used the bracket that came with it.

I would like to lower the seat mounting brackets on the rear but I haven't seen a good method. That would help me to see out the windshield without the visor obstructing my vision at stop lights.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Fordnut: Did you have to do any welding to lower the dead pedal. I keep staring at mine, but haven't put it in yet because I am afraid that it will not be low enough. I am 6'4". How tall are you? I know this is like buying shoes, but I am trying my best nit to drill too many useless holes in my brand new car.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information