Thread: Transmission Range Sensor??

Transmission Range Sensor??

I've got an 04 Marauder that I've put 17,000 miles on in the last 4 months. I've got a check engine light which is generating a transmission range sensor malfunction code that I just cant get fixed. The dealer has replaced the sensor once and reflashed the computer once. The code will only generate after the car has sat all night. When I start it in the morning the O/D light flashes. After about 5 minutes the light will quit flashing. Also I can turn the car off and restart I will get a check engine light but the O/D light wont be flashing any more. Anyone got any ideas?? The dealership sure cant figure it out and I'm about to take it to them for the 4th time for this issue. I've had this issue for the last 5,000 miles.
    Ryan Nelson
    04 Silver Birch
    Birmingham, AL

sounds like the ol wire harness chaffing on the back of the left cylinder head to me.

This was a problem with some early cars.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone03
    sounds like the ol wire harness chaffing on the back of the left cylinder head to me.

This was a problem with some early cars.
    Wasn't that problem corrected with the later production #'s? No flame intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mercman
    One would think so...

If the part that the code refers to doesn't fix the problem then it's time to think out of the box a little and start looking at everyhting.

It definitely could be a wiring issue but another cause could be from a malfunctioning coil. Engines tend to misfire more often cold than warm. A misfiring coil could spike the digital signal from the range sensor. You may not even feel it. Best way to check for this is to retrieve "mode 6 data" from the PCM with a diagnostic scanner. This data will indicate if there were any misfires and identify what cylinder. Good luck.
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mercman

One would think so, but then I recall my own experience: my car being built in Feb '03 experienced the same wire chafing that was detailed in a post from July '02 !!!

Thanks for the ideas, guys. The code that is being generated is P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input). I just got the report from the dealer from the last "repair". It states "Called Hotline. Repaired Harness under Wiper Motor. Reroute Harness. Cleared Code." I looked at the harness and I can't see where anything was repaired and the harness doesnt look like it will rub on anything. My car is an 04 and I thought this harness reroute was fixed on all 04s. The dealer may not have really done anything last time I took it in.
    It appears it only happens when car has sat overnight and I first start it and the idle revs are a little higher than when warm. I've got a CarChip and I can reset the light, but it will trip again the next morning. I can drive the car 500 miles in a day with a bunch of multiple stops and it wont generate the code again.
    Never thought of a misfire - I'll see if the dealer can pull that info. (Still under warranty).
    Ryan Nelson
    04 Silver Birch
    Birmingham, AL

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Nelson
    It states "Called Hotline. Repaired Harness under Wiper Motor. Reroute Harness. Cleared Code."

That's my baby, alright.

The harness rubbed against the bracket holding the cowl, if I remember correctly (and I am trying to forget). Instead of correctly routing behind the head and around, this harness was routed over the valve cover and ran over that edge of the head, too close to the bottom of the bracket, and the bracket sliced through the harness over the course of 2 months.

My dealer tech checked EVERY wire within that harness and made sure all of them were properly insulated. On top of that, he re-insulated the harness itself once all the wires were back in... and on top of that, he secured that sucker to the offending bracket in a way where I'm sure it became an extra structural member.

When my driver's side head was replaced, the harness was routed properly down low, so I don't even see it now.

I guess if you can see that harness, there's a risk of contact, as I don't think it should be seen easily if it's routed safely. (I'd go down and check, but I have my WS6 econobox with my today).

In my case, I didn't suffer any tranny maladies, but ended up with a blown PCM fuse. Which wasn't a lot of fun, by the way...

edit: in your scenario, the car sits all night. Humidity in the harness causing a short? Try spraying that area with water and see if it goes berserk. Water in harnesses is a Bad Thing (tm), by the way... long term problems once you get that "cancer" in the harness.
    Last edited by TripleTransAm; 08-05-2004 at 12:53 PM.

2003 Marauder P0705

Just wondering if anybody knows what fixed the P0705 symptoms back in 2004. My 03 MM is doing the exact same thing.

That code is usually accompanied with another code. Basicly it means that the PCM is not receiving a signal by one of the range sensor wires, it could be anyone from tr1 tr2 tr3 tr4 or reverse.
    This issue can be easily isolated by using a power probe and testing the pins in the big connector under the break booster.
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

2003 Marauder P0705 O/D error

Thanks for the input. After performing continuity checks from DTR to the connector under the booster, found that signal TR4 was open. Found a bad crimp (Apparently Factory) on connector C133. Will splice a new wire and see what happens. Only 60K miles and no noticeable corrosion.

I just realized I typed break instead of brake lmao.
    Glad you fixed it
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

Thanks GoldPanther, Problem fixed..
    Cold Air intake Install-Check
    Tuner Install-Check
    Headers and exhaust-Next

I have a 2003 Marauder and i have the same code popping up lately. Transmission shifts fine the only time the code pops up is for some reason the idle/RPM jumps to over 1k while in park then the O/D light flashes. Which I understand because shifting into gear at that high rpm is not good. That is the only time it does it though in PARK. Eventually it drops back to normal idle. I haven't checked all the listed areas of concern yet.

My 03 is now doing similar--BUT-- --O/D light flashes when start up BUT seem to be stuck in 3rd gear regardless --try and move it in drive and slow yep like in third gear---and sound like open headers as if in third gear.

Local shop knowledgeable seems to think it is the sensor that locking it in 3rd and trans needs to be dropped to check or new trans may be needed??

Any thoughts on this?
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Thread Information