Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens to Panther Cars in high-speed rear impact

V10_P70 Guest

Exclamation What happens to Panther Cars in high-speed rear impact

The gas tank is in the same location for the CV, GM and MM. On the P71 CV, the car is being hit at speeds upto 120 mph. You can look at what happens to a CV being hit at 82 mph at this site:

www.firepanelllc.com/frameset.html

Yeah, don't forget, the P71's gas tanks is also alot larger than the civvie unit. Which makes for alot tighter quarters behind the rear axle.

V10_P70 Guest

Gas Tank Size

The gas tanks for CV, GM and MM are all the same unit. 19 gallons gasoline.

Part of the issue was the shock mounts. That was supposely one of the fixes. If you notice now the 2003 panthers they are now moved to the outside. For better stability of course
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal
    Silencer Removed
    K&N Air Filter
    Amsoil Synthetic

What happens to a panther platform at 120 MPH?

THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENS TO ANY CAR AT 120MPH!!
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Re: What happens to Panther Cars in high-speed rear impact

Originally posted by V10_P70
    The gas tank is in the same location for the CV, GM and MM. On the P71 CV, the car is being hit at speeds upto 120 mph. You can look at what happens to a CV being hit at 82 mph at this site:[/url]
    And your point is?

I read the PI gas tank is 25 gallons.

Sorry Logan, I gotta step in here, because I still don't get something.

Be it one gallon of gas, or one hundred gallons of gas up my butt, the chief issue here is the overall safety of the Panther platform at high speed impact.

Like it's been said before, crush 2/3rds of any automobile into it's last 1/3rd, and something should blow. Blow up, blow out, or, become explosive, like from plain old compression hell, even water is explosive at a particular rate of compression...Damn the burn, what is the point here, anyway?

Yo...V10 something, you were saying?
    Last edited by SergntMac; 01-18-2003 at 03:28 AM.

V10_P70 Guest

Exclamation Panther Safety

By looking at the general stats the panther platform cars are quite safe. They confirm to the FMVSS safety standards and Ford goes above and beyond this to 50 mph test. With the car having the tank in the rear and the higher speeds the cars are run to, one would look to see what options exist for additional safety when the vehicles are driven hard. Meaning nine tenths of their capability.

A miltary fire suppression system that has existed for 30 years is available for this car to prevent the problem of fire in the car. We test at speeds up to 160 mph and look for all the safety features to insure that the driver walks from the car. This means brakes, driveshaft, springs, shocks, sway-bars, cooling systems need to be addressed. Just trying to pass on ideas that we use.

Here are the facts on the P71 Crown Victoria:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/s...nterceptor.asp
    Last edited by V10_P70; 01-17-2003 at 08:11 PM.

When two metals collide--the result will most likely be a spark--the faster they collide the quicker the spark--add a flammable to air mixture around it and you sure to have --BOOM!! It doesn't take a collision of high speed necessarily to cause this....a spark, a flammable mixture in air and the substance around it all to sustain it beyond the air mixture ,i.e. material to free burn after iginition---tires, cloth/leather seating/ material in vehicle.....all the same stuff in and around our daily lives every day ...just the right combo of physicis (without getting detail)--heat, fuel and air----BOOM!!! add the other and it continues to all is gone!!! p.s--water boils--turns to steam---that can also burn you!!!!!
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Hey Guys,
    As an insurance agent I can definitely say that the Marauder and all of its variants (Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, etc.) are some of the safest cars on the road. But if you get hit by anything doing 120mph you’re going to have some issues.
    Brian Fair
    --2003 Mercury Marauder (300A)
    Factory Spoiler
    Pre-Production Tips
    Reinhart Performance Chip
    Plugs & Thermostat
    4.10 Gears
    K&N Filtercharger

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    no fire

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    This is also a good site http://www.cvpi.com
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Re: Panther Safety

Originally posted by V10_P70
    A miltary fire suppression system that has existed for 30 years is available for this car to prevent the problem of fire in the car. We test at speeds up to 160 mph and look for all the safety features to insure that the driver walks from the car. This means brakes, driveshaft, springs, shocks, sway-bars, cooling systems need to be addressed. Just trying to pass on ideas that we use.

Ahhh...now I get it. You're trying to sell us something we don't need.

Find me an exhaust system that will produce 20-25 HP over my present numbers, and I'll gladly share some coins with ya...

Thanks anyway, V10_P70
    Last edited by SergntMac; 01-18-2003 at 09:23 AM.

you know when pintos where catching fire when rear ended everybody blamed the tank location too.
    I think all mid sized,and maybe most cars from mid 50's to about 73 all had fuel tanks that were part of the trunk floor or even behind the seat in trucks.The gas was RIGHT there!
    The REAL problem with the Pinto was it's SIZE or lack of, that caused it big problems.Just about EVERYTHING on the road was MUCH bigger,so when it got hit,well it lost!

The Panther platform that is our Marauder excedes all federal crash test in place when it was produced.
    Unless they add a "parked on side of the road and rear ended at 80mph test" I dont see much need to worry about how this car will hold up when slammed like that.

Unless you want to crawl over a NASCAR style roll cage evertime you jump in your car to go get a Big Gulp,oh after putting on your 3 layer suite,fire proff long undies,gloves and shoes and full face helmet,then buckeling up you 6 piont harness,I don't think your going to do much better.

I've said this before,when the subject comes up.
    DON'T PARK ON THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information