Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two different shocks???

looking97233 Guest

Question two different shocks???

When last at my dealer, I priced shocks. There are two different part numbers depending when your build date was the cut off was in 12/02. Does anybody know what the difference is(if any)?

Quote Originally Posted by looking97233
    When last at my dealer, I priced shocks. There are two different part numbers depending when your build date was the cut off was in 12/02. Does anybody know what the difference is(if any)?
    I don't believe there any different shock absorber/front strut parts, just part numbers. Nor is there any "cut off date" involved here.

Yes, there are different part numbers, but not different because of any "cut off date," like "300A" vs. "300B." Just different part "prefixes." The MM shock/struts are all the same parts.

There are different "prefix" numbers in FMC part numbers, such as "3W3Z" vs. "3W7Z." A different prefix would define the source of the part you're trying to replace. An "engineering" part (i.e. prototype, experimental, limited production, recall, TSB replacement, and otherwise temporary), an assembly line part (OEM, production line, original factory installed part), and a replacement part (official, genuine, OEM, but "over the parts counter"), it's all cool.

The next set of numbers are the actual part numbers, for instance...The rear brake pads for the MM are 3W(xx)-2200-AA. So, OEM rear brake pads from the production line may be 3W3Z-2200-AA, and pads replaced by any L/M dealer for any reason, would call for part number 3W7Z-2200-AA (BTW, the part numbers I'm posting are not actual part numbers, I am making up examples for this post). Nonetheless, this is how FMC controls what parts are where and where they came from, so FMC knows what they are fixing, and why.

I have the real shock absorber/front strut part numbers around here somewhere, but I can'r put my fingers on them right now. I've replaced my rear shocks and front struts, only to see these same discrepancies myself. I found one part number on the shock/strut on the car, a second part number on the replacement shock/strut, and even a third part number on the outside of the box of the replacement shock/strut.

Are you confused yet? I am. Just the other day, I posted three real part numbers for MM rear brake pads. Look that up, and you'll see the difference in the "prefix."

Hope this helps, it's just my .02c.
    Last edited by SergntMac; 08-16-2004 at 07:57 PM.

looking97233 Guest
    Mac,
    The parts person asked what my build date was. When I asked why, she showed me her computer screen. It listed one part # for the fronts for cars built before 12/21/02 and a second part # for cars built after 12/21/02. That is what I was wondering about. They may very well be the same exact part, who knows?

Note: I can't remember exactly the date, I think that is right or somewhere close to it.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    You sure she was looking ar Marauder shock part numbers and not CVPI shock part numbers?
    Ther was a concern with some of the early 2003 CVPIs being too low in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals
    ... Ther was a concern with some of the early 2003 CVPIs being too low in the front.
    Are you referring to this ?

I was going to ask the same question. I came across the same info. The early (prior to 12/03) Tokico part is ASH-83, and the later is ASH-261. I couldn't find any information via the Tokico site. Has anyone found the difference?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe
    Are you referring to this ?
    that's the gist of it, although I didn't see it on BON, I saw the TSB

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    I don't believe there any different shock absorber/front strut parts, just part numbers. Nor is there any "cut off date" involved here.

Yes, there are different part numbers, but not different because of any "cut off date," like "300A" vs. "300B." Just different part "prefixes." The MM shock/struts are all the same parts.

There are different "prefix" numbers in FMC part numbers, such as "3W3Z" vs. "3W7Z." A different prefix would define the source of the part you're trying to replace. An "engineering" part (i.e. prototype, experimental, limited production, recall, TSB replacement, and otherwise temporary), an assembly line part (OEM, production line, original factory installed part), and a replacement part (official, genuine, OEM, but "over the parts counter"), it's all cool.

The next set of numbers are the actual part numbers, for instance...The rear brake pads for the MM are 3W(xx)-2200-AA. So, OEM rear brake pads from the production line may be 3W3Z-2200-AA, and pads replaced by any L/M dealer for any reason, would call for part number 3W7Z-2200-AA (BTW, the part numbers I'm posting are not actual part numbers, I am making up examples for this post). Nonetheless, this is how FMC controls what parts are where and where they came from, so FMC knows what they are fixing, and why.

I have the real shock absorber/front strut part numbers around here somewhere, but I can'r put my fingers on them right now. I've replaced my rear shocks and front struts, only to see these same discrepancies myself. I found one part number on the shock/strut on the car, a second part number on the replacement shock/strut, and even a third part number on the outside of the box of the replacement shock/strut.

Are you confused yet? I am. Just the other day, I posted three real part numbers for MM rear brake pads. Look that up, and you'll see the difference in the "prefix."

Hope this helps, it's just my .02c.
    "...replaced my rear shocks and front struts..."

Any particular reason that you replaced them so soon?

How many miles on your car?
    Last edited by John F. Russo; 08-18-2004 at 06:42 AM.
    BlueWaterMan

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals
    that's the gist of it, although I didn't see it on BON, I saw the TSB
    Do we have the same springs as the GM?

Quote Originally Posted by mercman
    Do we have the same springs as the GM?
    The TSB covers the Police Interceptor. The Marauder is supposed to have CVPI front springs, or shortened CVPI front springs.
    I know the topic is about Shocks, But If I remember correctly, the CVPI also uses a Tokico shock (although not the same one as the Marauder)
    The regular GM has different springs

Quote Originally Posted by John F. Russo
    Any particular reason that you replaced them so soon? How many miles on your car?
    Yeah...They were worn out, loose and spongy.

Combine the way I drive with the streets of Chicago, and I shouldn't replace consumables by mileage, but by wear and tear. I'm proactive about it too.

IMHO, any shock with 15K on it isn't a shock absorber anymore, and that accelerates wear and tear on other suspension components. So, rather than wait for other more expensive repairs to be necessary, and save some tire life as well, a set of shocks seams cheap at 15K miles. I happen to like the feel of the Tockio shocks and struts too.
    Last edited by SergntMac; 08-18-2004 at 05:29 PM.

My right-front has failed. I noticed a knock at the area, and found that the fluid was leaking. So now that I have to change one, I'd like to change both, and use what I think may be the better of the two part numbers. Just can't find any info on the difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by NRAUD
    I was going to ask the same question. I came across the same info. The early (prior to 12/03) Tokico part is ASH-83, and the later is ASH-261. I couldn't find any information via the Tokico site. Has anyone found the difference?
    Where are you getting these numbers? I've been all over the Tokico home page and find nothing close to theses, or any listings for Marauder, just the GM through 2001.

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/index.html

Deciphering Ford Part Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    There are different "prefix" numbers in FMC part numbers, such as "3W3Z" vs. "3W7Z." A different prefix would define the source of the part you're trying to replace.
    The next set of numbers are the actual part numbers, for instance...The rear brake pads for the MM are 3W(xx)-2200-AA. So, OEM rear brake pads from the production line may be 3W3Z-2200-AA, and pads replaced by any L/M dealer for any reason, would call for part number 3W7Z-2200-AA
    Just a little more information about Ford Engineering Part Numbers:
    The first four digits define the vehicle platform and the year the part was originally put into production, but the fourth digit of this number for service is ALWAYSE a Z. This doesn't mean that all Marauder parts are 3W3Z prefix, there may be a part that was first designed for the 1998 Crown Victoria that is still used on our vehicle and therefore would have a 1L2Z prefix, or it may be a common part to many vehicles and was designed originally for the 1996 Taurus and may have an F7AZ prefix. But, any part that was specifically designed and put into production first for the Marauder should show the 3W3Z prefix.
    The second set of information (example above is -2200-) defines the part. All Ford parts of this type for all Ford vehicles have this same base number. i.e. -17682- is a Right-hand exterior mirror assembly. Every single right-hand exterior mirror for any Ford designed vehicle (that is Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, some Mazda, and soon Volvo) has that same base number. So, don't use it to think you have the right part for your particular vehicle, all it tells you is that it's a mirror, or a brake pad, or a cigarette lighter, or a tire rim, etc. ,but it doesn't tell you what vehicle it goes to.
    The last set of two letters is the suffix. In the example above it's -AA This is the revision level of that particular part for that particular platform. An -AB would be a newer revision of that part than an -AA for the exact same application. However, there may be a change such that an -AB won't work in place of an -AA if your car was produced with an -AA so you've got to go by what service defines for your vehicle.

The Ford Engineering Part Number wouldn't define the manufacturer of the part, except that a different manufacturer may have a different design of part and the suffix would bump (an -AA would goto an -AB because the part has only a minor changes). Common parts like fasteners and screws could even be made by mulitple suppliers and have the exact same part number.
    2003 300B BLUE (stolen for 9 days)
    PI 3000 TC, 4:10 gear + girdle, Dynotech Driveshaft,
    bulletproof trans, 2nd trans cooler + deep pan & Redline D4 ATF
    Steeda UDs, Rear engine cooling kit, Denso plugs, high capacity oil filter on frame, Reinhart superchip
    + gauges, SilverStars, & fire extinguisher

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
    2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab/8' Bed; 21.5' long

Well, there ya go...The clearer things get, the cloudier it all is. Thanks, Ahess77!

As he explained it to me, it felt like parts guy at my dealership didn't really know himself, for sure anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information