Thread: 1955 DeSoto

1955 DeSoto

My father traded in his 1950 Chrysler for a new 1956 DeSoto in order to bring me and Mom home from the hospital in a new car. The '56 DeSoto is long gone, but recently I bought the "You Bet Your Life" lost episodes DVD that have the sponsor - DeSoto Plymouth Dealers - mostly intact from 1950 through 1957.
    It got me wondering if there were any '56 DeSotos for sale out there.

Well, no, but I didn't look real hard. What I did find was this SWEET '55 Firedome up for auction on Ebay.

"This car was finished 3 years ago. It runs increadably, and fairly quiet. ENGINE: This car has a 454/425 crate engine with a turbo 400 transmission. New drive shaft, with a lincoln 9 rear end. The front clip is off a 1972 chevelle SS. Front and Rear air bags with dual compressors. Quad switches for either fast or slow adjusting of ride height. 4 wheel disk brakes and Tilt Cusom wheel. 2 1/2 Dual exhaust with flowmaster muflers comming out the back. The engine has a 210 amp chrome alt. Chrome Holly manafold with road deamon 750 cfm carb. Zoops brackets with southern air max3 air conditioning compressor. All bolt on parts are chrome. Easy to clean and maintain. The headers are Sanderson jet coated. Powdercoated billit pullies. INTERIOR: All interior covered in dove grey leather, 10 full hides. Lowcar shifter, dakota digital shifter gague. Ron Francis wireing harness. Pro comp gagues. am/fm cd pioneer player. Leather banjo steering wheel."

Kinda wish I had scratch to bid on this baby.

Fifty six DeSotos are pretty scarce these days...the best ones to get value wise are the Indy Pace Car Specials.. Pretty neat cars as I recall. Anyway, the timing of your "1955 DeSoto" subject title is a little scary to me: while I was sitting in the waiting room of the local L-M dealer in Pembroke Pines (FL) earlier today while having an oil change done on my MM an elderly woman who was waiting on her GM to be serviced suddenly struck up a conversation with me (right out of the blue) concerning a 1955 DeSoto Coronado sedan that she and her late husband purchased new in N.Y. and drove for several years thereafter. Weird huh??

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    You don't want that Desoto that's on eBay Donny. Someone who reads and believes magazines and thinks all cars must be clipped and Chev powered did that one. Clipped cars can be a lot of trouble if not done right, and often the clip was never necessary in the first place.

I recently saw a '56 Desoto advertised for sale. If I come across it again I'll let you know.

Thread Information