Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good News: Beer Colder Longer. Bad News: It's Iron City Beer

Good News: Beer Colder Longer. Bad News: It's Iron City Beer

A colder one: Beer in aluminum bottles on the way

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- How much would you pay for a bottle of beer that stays cold nearly an hour longer? <!-- DART AdSpace 300x250 Stories -->

<!-- /DART AdSpace --><!--
    -->

Pittsburgh Brewing Co., maker of Iron City Beer, is asking an additional $1 per case.

The brewery has partnered with Alcoa Inc., the world's largest aluminum maker, to produce aluminum bottles that keep beer colder for as much as 50 minutes longer, Alcoa officials said.

About 20,000 cases of the new aluminum bottle beer are en route to as many as 28 states and should be on shelves this week, Alcoa and Pittsburgh Brewing said Tuesday.

The bottles have three times the aluminum of a typical beer can. That gives them superior insulation, Alcoa spokesman Kevin Lowery said.

It's not the first time Alcoa has teamed up with the local brewery to put out a new product. In 1962, the two put the first pull-tab beer cans on shelves, freeing beer drinkers of the need to carry openers with them.

"We think it's much better than a can and as good or better than glass," said Joe Piccirilli, vice chairman for Pittsburgh Brewing. "There's no doubt in my mind that this has the same potential as the pull tab we did with Alcoa."

Iron City wants to expand sales. But the aluminum bottle may be more important to Alcoa. The aluminum giant wants to win back a share of the market it lost to beer bottles -- both glass and plastic, which are now common at sporting events nationwide.

About 40 percent of all beer consumed comes out of cans, 43 percent from bottles and 8 percent from the tap, according to the Beer Institute, which tracks industry trends. Bottles, however, have gained ground over the past decade.

Plastic bottles make up only 0.5 percent of all beer sales, according to the Beer Institute. But having aluminum bottles at sporting events would introduce the product to thousands, who might buy a case for home.

Pittsburgh Brewing said it won't drop glass bottles or cans from production.

Some people say they can taste the difference between beer in cans and bottles.

Lew Bryson, an author of two books on breweries, said those complaints are psychological, since the aluminum is coated. But, he said, there may be a lingering taste when the seal of an aluminum can is broken.

The aluminum bottle could eliminate that, he said.

One microbrewery based in Missoula, Mont., has been using aluminum bottles. Heineken released a limited edition aluminum bottle last year.

Aluminum bottles also have proven successful for a few breweries in Japan, but Iron City is the first company in North America to ship the bottles nationally, company officials said.

Alcoa and brewery officials say the biggest selling point of the bottle may be its appearance.

Bryson agreed, and said plastic bottles have also been problematic at some bottling plants because they are lighter than glass and can become jumbled.

But he said the advantages may not outweigh the price.

"It seems a bit like an answer in search of a question," he said.

Pittsburgh Brewing said aluminum bottles cost more than twice than glass -- about a nickel more per beer -- but Alcoa and the brewery said the cost will come down if other beer companies follow suit.

Pittsburgh Brewing, which sells about 6 million cases of beer annually, has opened a six-figure marketing campaign to try to make the idea stick. "I think in the next 12 to 18 months, more people are going to get into this like we are," said Piccirilli. "We're not kicking the tires."

<!--htdig_noindex--><!-- adpro call here --><!-- #include virtual="/CDA/adPro/adPro.mpl?size=300x250" -->

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    A colder one: Beer in aluminum bottles on the way

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- How much would you pay for a bottle of beer that stays cold nearly an hour longer?
    I haven't ever had a beer that lasted an hour ....
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Hmmmm, maybe if I drink enough of these, I can pay for a S/Cer with my recyling money!!

U.S.M.C 1988-1992

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Wink

"But having aluminum bottles at sporting events would introduce the product to thousands, who might buy a case for home. "

> Can you throw an aluminum can farther onto the playing field??? JUST KIDDING!!!

"Pittsburgh Brewing said aluminum bottles cost more than twice than glass -- about a nickel more per beer -- but Alcoa and the brewery said the cost will come down if other beer companies follow suit."

> I think it would be cheeper to buy more ice...or just drink your BEER faster! (preferably the latter)
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Looks like the CAM club has a keen interest in this subject!!
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)

Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge

Iron City Beer

Iron City Beer should be left in Pittsburg! I tried it. The flavor makes me think that the steel production has effected their olfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder
    My thought exactly

Iron City Beer...the PERFECT drink to go with your fish sandwich at Primanti Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    Iron City Beer...the PERFECT drink to go with your fish sandwich at Primanti Brothers
    I'm sure it's a nice sandwich, but.... (thinks about Iron City beer, gags)

Patrick Guest
    I would like my beer still stay colder longer. Spend a fewbucks for a beer Coozie!! I have been at coke for 11yrs!! Just another marketing thing. LIke the Hemi!! Cost wont jusify the end. PET is here. And has been here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell
    Iron City Beer should be left in Pittsburg! I tried it. The flavor makes me think that the steel production has effected their olfactory.

OK, make all of the jokes needed about the "Red Eye," but there's something about this beer that helps produce outstanding football players. Oh, and I think it helps with our spelling here since we realize that Pittsburgh is spelled with an "H."
    300A Black, Purchased Oct 2002, Sold December 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    OK, make all of the jokes needed about the "Red Eye," but there's something about this beer that helps produce outstanding football players. Oh, and I think it helps with our spelling here since we realize that Pittsburgh is spelled with an "H."
    Oh, >that's< it. The tell the players if they don't play well, they have to drink a sixer of Iron City. It's brilliant!

American beer is like making love in a canoe,

It's F-n' close to water.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder
    Good point. a REAL man holds on to a beer no longer than 15 minutes.
    -2001 Crown Vic - many cosmetic & performance mods
    -2010 Volkswagen CC Turbo
    -2009 Toyota Camry 4-cylinder - MARAUDER KILLER

Quote Originally Posted by MAD-3R
    American beer is like making love in a canoe,

It's F-n' close to water.

LOL

At least Iron City HAS a taste.... Coors Light and A-B Ultra are best used for washing dishes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information