Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warranty issue?

warranty issue?

Check out this post on CVN. Lady blew up her MM...whose fault was it...?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Oil change place. By the time a check oil light or a check gages light came on, it would have been to late.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Moparzz Guest
    Folks on CVN would have you believe it is the woman's fault because Jiffy-Lube didn't tighten up the oil filter. Anyone that goes to a major chain oil change outfit should have a reasonable expectation that they will do the job correctly. They were the proximal cause of the engine blowing up so they own the problem and should pay. I say if they can't put a real oil gauge in the Mauauder then they should put an idiot light up on the instrument panel because what they gave us is just a glorified idiot light, just in a place more difficult to see it.

Thanks, RF, I read the whole thread at CVN, and I can't really offer an opinion either way, the story has many sides to consider.

However, I was pleased to see that LM did something for the woman, rather than just hold their "it's not our problem" position. This is comforting, and consistent with a tale my LM Service told me about another customer of his, with a chipped Navagator. The injectors had melted and two cylinders fried. LM ate the repair 100 percent, but would not pay for the fried chip. The chip manfacturer replaced that for an exchange charge, and the dealer installed it when it came in. Now, I don't know how true this story is either, but I see no reason for him to make it up.

No one works on my MM but LM certified techs, including oil changes. LM is only 6 bucks over Jiffy Lube, and I think that's worth the pennies in avoiding the conflict mentioned in the thread, yes?

Going in to the dealer this afternoon to have my 4:10 inspected, per their request, 1000 miles after their install. Free inspection, I pay for the grease. They really like this car, and I like keeping LM officially "on record" with regards to mods.

Seems a good question to ask here. If you were LM, would you save money by turning down repairs on modified vehicles? Or, would you choose to make money by offering the right mods at the right price, correctly installed and warranteed?

Just a thought...
    Last edited by SergntMac; 01-21-2003 at 08:36 AM.

Would you like fries with that order??? Whoops, wrong script... Same guy, just a different type of oil... I realize the dealership doesn't have an ASE certified mechanic doing oil changes or tire rotations but at least you have some recourse if (when) this crap happens... That or do it yourself if you can..
    Wayne

Bobby J:

Not to start up the "fake oil gauge" thread again, but I too was surprised there's no "check gages" light...my '94 T-bird has the fake gauge, right up at eye level, and it has the "check gages" light. As soon as the weather cooperates, I've got the "real" gauge ready to go in...

Either way, it still doesn't relieve the quick-lube place of the responsibility for tightening the filter.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Originally posted by SergntMac
    Seems a good question to ask here. If you were LM, would you save money by turning down repairs on modified vehicles? Or, would you choose to make money by offering the right mods at the right price, correctly installed and warranteed?

Just a thought...
    SergntMac: I would absolutely vote for your second option, and if I could find a dealer within reasonable distance that would, I'd go there and have them do it all. Apparently you found one that does. Most of the rest of us aren't so lucky though...

BUT...it still seems wrong to me for the dealer to deny a warranty claim on my left lower ball joint because I installed 4.10s...or deny a claim for my stereo crapping out because I installed a chip. Both sides need to be reasonable...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Absolutely, RF, you are often the voice of reason here, and I hope I don't often sound unreasonable to you. Whether we are discussing mods/warranties, or speed traps and selective traffic enforcement for safe roads, every topic comes down to what's reasonable, and what is not.

Every once in a while here, I hear "just answer yes or no" lawyerspeak voice chime in, and I usually come to be involved in the discussion, from one point of view or another. I appreciate having your views to consider as well, it's helpful to us all, thanks.

PS...Ohio Troopers have a few CPD baseball caps, courtesy of yours truely. Those guys are very sneaky, but very polite too.

It SHOULD have thrown a Check Engine light (a combination of Emissions and Check Gauges lights of the past) regaurdless. Weather or not she saw it is another story... I can say though, if you do change your own oil (as I do), BE CAREFULL of that. I have NEVER not put on an oil filter too tight, but the MM was the first! The location of the oil filter makes it extremely hard to tighten that extra 1/4 turn past hand tighten, and if you have little patients and say screw it, good enoph, you'll find a little "dropping" the next morning, as I did. Mine wasn't bad enoph that I couldn't run her, but she lost a good 1/2 quart over night. Beware, that oil filter is crap to handle!

NazSok Guest
    Need some advice. Called local Ford Motorsports authorized dealership. Was told they could order FORD MOTORSPORTS 4.11 gears. No 4.10's. Why, I don't know. There is NO warranty for Ford Motorsports performance parts. If I get FORD gears from a Ford or LM dealership, will I be getting basically the same product? Or are the gears from Ford Motorsports definitely a better product. Nobody at ANY dealership, even the Ford Motorsports dealership can answer this question.

Also, will 4.11 be much different from 4.10. And I was told that I need to find out whether I need 8.8" or 9". Can anybody help in this?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)

Re: warranty issue?

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    Check out this post on CVN. Lady blew up her MM...whose fault was it...?
    the link indicates the post doesn't exist

NazSok, it's an 8.8, and calls for a 4:10 ratio. Call Reinhart for parts, his numers are in his thread here. I got mine UPS in 3 days, under 200. FMC Motorsports part, factory box. Warranty questions you'll have to figure out on your own, many threads on that here.

Read it!

Yep, at least it was a happy ending for the customer, but you have to wonder how much influence her lawyer husband was on the settlement!
    I got mine changed at the dealer, with the correct oil from Ford for $24.95 american! Why the h e double hockey sticks would I do it myself?!!!

The admin at CVN apparently moved this post to the Lizard Lounge...

try this link instead...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

That is exactly why i dont like CVN what a bunch of jerks over there. I posted once, told them about my car and what I was planning on doing with my car, and they laughed at me, called me a wannabe, and a collection of other insults, called me a BSer and even more stuff.
    A$ $ ho le $
    2002 Crown Vic LX sport *SOLD* but still in the family

1985 monte carlo SS 477 rwhp T56 - parted out to go to law school

On the hunt for the Marauder I tried to get back in 2002!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information