Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM Driving Impressions (kind of long)

MM Driving Impressions (kind of long)

Well, I was granted a wonderful opportunity this past weekend I wanted to share. I am sure all of the owners on this list are aware of what I want to share, but for anyone looking at buying one of these cars, here is some more input to help with your decision.

I found an '04 Marauder still on the local Mercury dealer's lot and have looked at it a couple of times, usually on Sundays. Well, this past Friday, I finally stopped during normal business hours to check out this car a little closer. I actually got a salesman and took it for a test drive. It is a Silver MM with the Nudo leather and every "option" except for the trunk organizer and spoiler (both of which I would have to add). The car was also a demo and had 5,400 miles on it, but still looks new inside and out with no scratches or anything.

Anyway, it was about 4:45pm on a Friday, so there was quite a bit of traffic during the short test drive. Well, at the end of the test drive, the salesman asked if I wanted to take the car home for the weekend so my wife could see it and get a chance to drive it and so the kid could ride in it. I was completely shocked, but said "Yes". He went and filled the gas tank up, put a dealer plate on it, and got a picture of my DL and my phone number.

Needless to say, I hopped on the highway and headed the 35 miles home to show the wife and kid. And this is where my real impressions of driving the car began. I got caught in a little rush hour traffic, but finally got a little open sapce and next thing I knew, I was running about 80 mph. I can not believe how smooth and quiet the car is at that speed. Little bit of wind noise, but nothing else. Very nice.

Now, the seats are comfortable, but are a little lacking in side support for "spirited" cornering. Which is too bad because for a big car, this thing corners very well. Very little body roll and holds a line quite nicely. Actually, in 3 days of driving, my only handing or rid e gripe, is the fact that the front end feels a little loose when driving straight at highway speeds. What I mean by that is the front end bounces up and down a little to much when hitting bumps on the highway. It bounces once or twice and then is back to normal and smooth. I would just prefer a little more control of that. I am guessing that new shocks would take care of that. And I can't imagine what on of these with new shocks, sway bars, control arms or Watts linkage would handle like. I think it would be awesome.

As for the motor: yes, right off the line it is missing a little bit of punch, but it seems to rev quite quickly and you can tell when it is hitting it's power band. The car kind of reminds me of a Honda coming on the V-TEC cam lobes as it has a definite point where it seems to come alive all the sudden. And this motor pulls very nicely at highway speeds. Definitely no problem with passing power. I did drive a couple times with the traction control turned off and the car seems to be more responsive to throttle input. Never did try to turn the tires over, but it definitely gets up and go. The rear end will squat, the front comes up a little, and the car goes.

Now for the bad news. The wife and I have decided there is no way we can fit another car payment in the budget - no matter how good the price and financing. Which really sucks!!!! And I believe they would be selling the car at a great price. Basically, the salesman said check the invoice price, consider the $4000 rebate from Ford, and the fact that this is a demo car and make an offer. I don't think $24,000-$25,000 would be out of line for a brand new MM, but just can't do it right now. Which sucks, because the silver color was really growing on me. Tinted windows and new exhaust from selling my Accord and I would be a VERY happy person.

Lastly, for anyone considering this car - DRIVE IT. I don't know how anyone could be dissappointed. I just don't get why Mercury couldn't make this car sell. The only thing I didn't like about the car was the outward visability. My '92 Accord has much better visability looking out than the MM, but the MM isn't bad. And I definitely don't think it feels as big as it is when driving. It is a sweet car and I will replace my Accord with one when we can afford it. Right now, there is no other car I would go with. The Cadillac STS and Chrysler 300C might be a little more upscale on the inside, but I don't think they are the value the MM is (although the 300C with the Hemi might be close). The MM is the top choice for me since I want a larger, 4-door car with a V8 and rear wheel drive. Something that is not fatiguing on my 2 hour round trip commute each day and gets "decent" gas mileage (if I could keep my foot out of it).

I guess what sums it up for me is every time I got in the car, or hit the gas, or got back out of the car, I had a smile on my face. It is that enjoyable. I even found myself giggling like a little kid at times while driving it. My wife thought I was losing it. And speaking of the wife, she has always given a pretty cool response to the car when I point them out on the road. But after seeing it in the driveway and getting a chance to drive it, she has changed her mind - for the better. I now have her approval when it comes time to get one.

OK, sorry for rambling on, but I figured this was the best place to do it. I know I may be preaching to the choir here, but I hope someone coming here looking for info on the MM can use this to help with a buying decision. It is one sweet car. And I could sit here and read all day about them, but finally getting to drive one for more than a 10 minute test drive sealed the deal - as soon as we can afford it.

Thanks for your time.
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Thank you for a wonderful essay, I could not have said it better. I hope you can swing ownership soon, maybe look for a clean '03 300A? Everything you say about this test drive weekend, is in all of the MMs I've sampled through friends here, I hope you get one soon.

BTW, did you mention to your wife that the MM comes with about 300 new friends? That's a no cost option too...

Eric91Z,
    I second what SergntMac said.
    My wife and I l;iked the '03 well enough that we bought a Second MM as a `no brainer'.
    Look for a good used MM, either an '03 or an '04.
    GordonB
    2003 MM DBP (BLUE) (300B) w/Lt Flint (Hers); htd seats, 6 CD. PCM s/w level CRD1.
    Mods:Trunk Liner from Decklid Designs, Sunroof (ASC Model 840), McGard wheel locks, Godshead badges--steering & grill (fm Ron), Mac/Marty's Fender Badges, Silverstar Headlights, FLM accs--rear spoiler, door edge guards & trunk organizer. Bob White graphics. KB Dead Pedal & Polished Alum. Pedals. M&Z rear cntrl arms. DR (Addco) rear sway bar (24mm). Pro-Gard rear close-out panel. TCE Perf. braided SS brake lines.
    Born 5/22/03 and adopted 7/21/03. One of 328 DBP for 2003 out of 7838. Build seq. nbr: 7500 of 7838. Color seq. nbr: 282 of 328.

2004 DTR MM w/Lt Flint (His) with htd seats, 6 CD, Fact. Sunroof; born 6/15/04, adopted 7/8/04; one of 980 DTR for 2004 out of 3213. Upgraded same as Blue MM. Build seq. nbr: 3165 of 3214. Color seq. nbr: 973 of 980.

Other cars: '00 'Vette Coupe (Nassau Blue). '14 Vette Coupe (Lime Rock Green)
    Car Clubs: MBCC

Since I will be looking at a purchase time frame of some time next year (planning on one more kid and refinance the house for lower rates first), I will be looking for a late '04. I have my mind stuck on the traction control and really liked the one I drove. Plus, I have read about tranny changes and all I can say is that I liked the way this thing shifted and it had no hunting issues on the highway.

No matter what, I will be getting on. I wish they were making them for one more year as I could swing the payment this time next year for a new one, but just not right now, unfortunately. And this silver one seems to be a nice, clean, bargain right off the lot.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z
    I guess what sums it up for me is every time I got in the car, or hit the gas, or got back out of the car, I had a smile on my face. It is that enjoyable. I even found myself giggling like a little kid at times while driving it. My wife thought I was losing it.
    Eric,
    Thanks for the write up on your experience. Your words above ^^^^^ ring true for many of us MM owners .... still smiling after a year or more. The comment about the wife is right on the money as well !! Been there ...

Must have been hard to take it back to the dealer and walk away. Maybe someday .....
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I'll be purchasing a 2nd 2004 Marauder, used of course, in the spring of 2006. I'm going to keep it stock and use it as a daily drive to take some miles off of the s/c'ed one.

Good luck with getting one in the near future. You won't be disappointed...as you've already stated.
    Silver 2004 Marauder
    Trilogy #48 (SOLD April 2014)

1984 Mustang GT, stock, 60,000 original miles (SOLD August 2013)

2017 Ram Rebel 1500, Silver: 5.7 Hemi, Lots of extras...
    Previous: 2014 Durango R/T

Patrick Guest
    Glad you enjoyed your weekend in the MM!! Hope you get to get one soon!!!!!

Go with an 04. I'm much more impressed with it than my 300A.
    2004 Marauder
    Black
    Dark Charcoal Interior

2006 Mustang GT
    Satin Silver
    Black Leather Int.
    5-Speed Auto Trans.

2003 Grand Marquis LSE
    Silver

Patrick Guest
    And I hope in black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, black has been my first choice all along, but I did kind of like the silver after driving it for 3 days. Plus, I have had a black vehicle before and had quite the love/hate relationship with it. The silver would be much easier to take care of - especially for a daily driver that will see year round use. Although the lighter leather would be tougher to keep clean.

Oh well, I just want to find a low mileage, unmolested, well taken care of 2004 when it is time. And it will be my next car!!!!!!
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Quote Originally Posted by Eric91Z
    Well, I was granted a wonderful opportunity this past weekend I wanted to share. I am sure all of the owners on this list are aware of what I want to share, but for anyone looking at buying one of these cars, here is some more input to help with your decision.

I found an '04 Marauder still on the local Mercury dealer's lot and have looked at it a couple of times, usually on Sundays. Well, this past Friday, I finally stopped during normal business hours to check out this car a little closer. I actually got a salesman and took it for a test drive. It is a Silver MM with the Nudo leather and every "option" except for the trunk organizer and spoiler (both of which I would have to add). The car was also a demo and had 5,400 miles on it, but still looks new inside and out with no scratches or anything.

Anyway, it was about 4:45pm on a Friday, so there was quite a bit of traffic during the short test drive. Well, at the end of the test drive, the salesman asked if I wanted to take the car home for the weekend so my wife could see it and get a chance to drive it and so the kid could ride in it. I was completely shocked, but said "Yes". He went and filled the gas tank up, put a dealer plate on it, and got a picture of my DL and my phone number.

Needless to say, I hopped on the highway and headed the 35 miles home to show the wife and kid. And this is where my real impressions of driving the car began. I got caught in a little rush hour traffic, but finally got a little open sapce and next thing I knew, I was running about 80 mph. I can not believe how smooth and quiet the car is at that speed. Little bit of wind noise, but nothing else. Very nice.

Now, the seats are comfortable, but are a little lacking in side support for "spirited" cornering. Which is too bad because for a big car, this thing corners very well. Very little body roll and holds a line quite nicely. Actually, in 3 days of driving, my only handing or rid e gripe, is the fact that the front end feels a little loose when driving straight at highway speeds. What I mean by that is the front end bounces up and down a little to much when hitting bumps on the highway. It bounces once or twice and then is back to normal and smooth. I would just prefer a little more control of that. I am guessing that new shocks would take care of that. And I can't imagine what on of these with new shocks, sway bars, control arms or Watts linkage would handle like. I think it would be awesome.

As for the motor: yes, right off the line it is missing a little bit of punch, but it seems to rev quite quickly and you can tell when it is hitting it's power band. The car kind of reminds me of a Honda coming on the V-TEC cam lobes as it has a definite point where it seems to come alive all the sudden. And this motor pulls very nicely at highway speeds. Definitely no problem with passing power. I did drive a couple times with the traction control turned off and the car seems to be more responsive to throttle input. Never did try to turn the tires over, but it definitely gets up and go. The rear end will squat, the front comes up a little, and the car goes.

Now for the bad news. The wife and I have decided there is no way we can fit another car payment in the budget - no matter how good the price and financing. Which really sucks!!!! And I believe they would be selling the car at a great price. Basically, the salesman said check the invoice price, consider the $4000 rebate from Ford, and the fact that this is a demo car and make an offer. I don't think $24,000-$25,000 would be out of line for a brand new MM, but just can't do it right now. Which sucks, because the silver color was really growing on me. Tinted windows and new exhaust from selling my Accord and I would be a VERY happy person.

Lastly, for anyone considering this car - DRIVE IT. I don't know how anyone could be dissappointed. I just don't get why Mercury couldn't make this car sell. The only thing I didn't like about the car was the outward visability. My '92 Accord has much better visability looking out than the MM, but the MM isn't bad. And I definitely don't think it feels as big as it is when driving. It is a sweet car and I will replace my Accord with one when we can afford it. Right now, there is no other car I would go with. The Cadillac STS and Chrysler 300C might be a little more upscale on the inside, but I don't think they are the value the MM is (although the 300C with the Hemi might be close). The MM is the top choice for me since I want a larger, 4-door car with a V8 and rear wheel drive. Something that is not fatiguing on my 2 hour round trip commute each day and gets "decent" gas mileage (if I could keep my foot out of it).

I guess what sums it up for me is every time I got in the car, or hit the gas, or got back out of the car, I had a smile on my face. It is that enjoyable. I even found myself giggling like a little kid at times while driving it. My wife thought I was losing it. And speaking of the wife, she has always given a pretty cool response to the car when I point them out on the road. But after seeing it in the driveway and getting a chance to drive it, she has changed her mind - for the better. I now have her approval when it comes time to get one.

OK, sorry for rambling on, but I figured this was the best place to do it. I know I may be preaching to the choir here, but I hope someone coming here looking for info on the MM can use this to help with a buying decision. It is one sweet car. And I could sit here and read all day about them, but finally getting to drive one for more than a 10 minute test drive sealed the deal - as soon as we can afford it.

Thanks for your time.
    * An explanation of why more people have not purchased Marauders.

The problems for the potential Marauder buyer seem to boil down to this:
    1) Most people never even heard of a Marauder from Mercury! This is deal to lack of any appreciable factory advertising from Mercury.
    2) If some people did hear of the Marauder...they never even went to look at it, or to take a test drive in it. They probably thought it was a more expensive Grand Marquis, for the old timers.
    3) If you're really interested in a Marauder, you have to know what your doing when you visit your LM dealer. They just don't seem to have a clue of what to do with the Marauder car, or the Marauder buyer. My dealer had a Marauder special salesman, which helped me a lot.
    4) If you depend on the automtive enthusiast maganzines for intelligent buying information, forget it. They must all have been upset with LM, because they only write trash about the Marauder. This would turn off alot of potential buyers.
    5) Some potential buyers were probably turned off by the premium fuel issue. My other car is a 1994 Taurus SHO, which runs on premium only. Its not that big a deal.

You're right about the Marauder. I think it rides and handles great, especially when you consider that it is a 4200 pound car. Mercury engineering sure did wonderful work on this car. And the straight-line performance is very good for a car this size. It flies! And if you like, you can readily increase its performance to awesome levels. You're only limited by your pocket book. I just turned 2000+ miles on my baby. The Marauder is also a very comfortable car to drive. Years ago, a muscle car had a terrible ride, and often were stripped of the pleasantries. This car is a joy to drive to work, or any other errand around town.

Quote Originally Posted by 423REED
    * An explanation of why more people have not purchased Marauders.

The problems for the potential Marauder buyer seem to boil down to this:.
    Seems like most MM owners knew what they were looking for despite the lack of advertising.

1) Most people never even heard of a Marauder from Mercury! This is deal to lack of any appreciable factory advertising from Mercury.
    I got wind of the Marauder in a short paragraph in "Motor Trend" when it was still a concept. Decided I needed to see it in person when it hit the dealer lots. Only saw one or two quick Marauder TV ads early on (i.e. the one of the Hondas and Toyotas moving over to make room in the garage.)
    2) If some people did hear of the Marauder...they never even went to look at it, or to take a test drive in it. They probably thought it was a more expensive Grand Marquis, for the old timers.
    I decided not to take a test drive until I was absolutely, positively sure that I was ready to buy the car. No sense getting frustrated if I hadn't made the $ committment already.
    3) If you're really interested in a Marauder, you have to know what your doing when you visit your LM dealer. They just don't seem to have a clue of what to do with the Marauder car, or the Marauder buyer. My dealer had a Marauder special salesman, which helped me a lot.
    I asked for a quote over the internet ... and told the guy that I might be over later to looky-see. No committment. When I went later in the day -- the salesman did nothing more than hand me the keys. I had already worked the numbers and knew where I wanted to be. The sale would only depend on whether they could meet "MY" requirements. They did ---
    4) If you depend on the automtive enthusiast maganzines for intelligent buying information, forget it. They must all have been upset with LM, because they only write trash about the Marauder. This would turn off alot of potential buyers.
    While I had already done some research on the Marauder ... I think I bought this one from my heart .... not my brain. The MM felt good, drove good, and looked good. My wife thought so too ---
    5) Some potential buyers were probably turned off by the premium fuel issue. My other car is a 1994 Taurus SHO, which runs on premium only. Its not that big a deal.
    The gas issue never crossed my mind ... see response to number 4 above.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I have to agree with you all. My problem is I have been wanting one for over a year now and due to unfortunate work changes, it is not going to work this year - that and other family obligations that will come first. But once all that is behind us, there will be a MM parked in the garage in place of my current car. I can not wait.

I have had numerous F-bodies, I have drive Honda Preludes and S2000's, but I always go back to the bigger cars: Chevy Caprice, Oldsmobile Cutlass, and would like to think that if I was old enough to drive in the 60's, I would have been driving a Chevelle or original GTO, or Galaxy 500 - something big, comfortable and lots of motor. And now, it seems like you can buy a used 2003 MM for a few grand more than a used, almost 10 year old Impala SS and I think, personally, that the MM is a much better car and seems like it can be made to go fast fairly easily - again, just an opinion from what I have been reading.

I WILL HAVE ONE!!!!
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Patrick Guest

Something else that I wanted to add in here that I thought about (and stands out because I drive a front wheel drive car right now). The MM seems to have very good weight transfer to the rear end and wants to pull the front up, but yet the handling is still very good. Not much for brake drive and the front only seems to pull up like that when you really get on it. I thought that was really pretty cool. You get the weight transfer when you need it and a nice ride and good handling when you don't.

Just thought I would share that...
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information