Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge/Dash Light Flicker

Unhappy umm...

I dunno about the whole electricty draw. My radio LEDs flicker with the CD player on at a stop (low rpm), as do the head lights get brighter when a rev is implied. Also, my Oil/Volt gauges flicker. Anybody else notice this? I haven't gotten around to hooking up the battery charger to make sure the battery is fully charged. But that kind of draw on a stock system may present a lot of problems.

You might want to check your belt tension if you are experiencing those problems.. Or have the alternator output checked to make sure it's okay. I do not have those issues even with virtually everything electrical running..
    Wayne

LML,

I've noticed my gauge and dashboard lights also flicker at idle. Have you found the cause of it on yours?

Chris
    '03 Marauder 300A
    35% llumar tint
    '04 F150 Supercrew FX4
    Triton 5.4L
    Pwr moonroof & rear slider
    Limited slip 3.73 rear axle & tow package
    Rhinoliner
    Swiss fiberglass lid

It's gotten better over time. I guess the batter was a little drained before I got her. Front gauges never flickered. The radio stoped flickering. The only thing that flickers is the extra gauges when I fully draw on the system, but stops once the motor idles itself back up. So far, I've only gotten the Volt meter to drop to a little under 12 under full load, but it got herself back to 14 quickly and jumped to 16 after I let off of the load and came back down to 14.

gauge lights/ dash lights flickering

Anybody else noticed their gauge/stereo/dashboard lights flickering at idle? They seem to get brighter & stop flickering if I step on the gas. Haven't checked anything under the hood yet i.e. battery, alternator etc.
    It only has a little over 200 miles on it & I've only been driving it once a week or so. Could the battery be not fully charged yet?

Chris
    '03 Marauder 300A
    35% llumar tint
    '04 F150 Supercrew FX4
    Triton 5.4L
    Rhinoliner
    Swiss fiberglass lid

terryg Guest

Dash lights flicker

I have seen this as well, I do not know if it is an issue or not.

mtnh Guest
    I found that the flicker was caused by a setting of the dash light dimmer being too low. Boosting that intensity level stops the flickering. My 1996 Grand Marquis also did this, to the point of where the indicators on the radio would completely shut off if the dash was set too low. This car actually had the electronic dash option fitted, and my wife liked the illumination level to be low, which would turn off the radio lighting.

When I noticed the flickering on the MM, a simple dash light dimmer adjustment solved it, without making the light level to be what I would consider to be "excessive."

Mike

On a car this new, this advanced and with all the onboard electronics ther should be NO fluctuations in voltage....sounds like a problem with battery,connections or charging system...
    my car shows 12 volts with key on and jumps up to 14 when started..no flickers no problem

get it checked out
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

WolfeBros Guest
    What you are seeing is an effect of the dash light dimming circuit.
    Your charging system is ok.
    I have noticed it on my MM as well. It usually is at idle with the dimmer on lower settings. Once the rpms get up it goes away.
    A ham radio operator on here did an electrical system analysis using test equipment and came to the same conclusion. (couldn't find his post) The charging voltage is not fluxuating. Its the dimmer circuit regulating voltage to the lamps. Not to worry mates.
    Last edited by WolfeBros; 01-29-2003 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks guys. A friend of mine has a new crown vic with the digital dash and he has the same thing too. Sounds like the dimmer circuit could be the common culprit. I'm not worried about it, it's just the annoyance factor.
    Mtnh, I created a new thread with this topic because initial replies on the HID thread were getting sidetracked. Sorry for the confusion.
    '03 Marauder 300A
    35% llumar tint
    '04 F150 Supercrew FX4
    Triton 5.4L
    Rhinoliner
    Swiss fiberglass lid

mtnh Guest
    I know, the new thread was the way to go, but the pointer to the other one made me side track that discussion! WTF??? :^)

OK, I got the whole HID and flicker thing split up. Should make things less confusing.

looking97233 Guest
    It's a ford thing, the interior dimmer. all my ford's have done it. Try turning up the brightness just a little.

FYI:

I only JUST noticed my speedo/tach lights flickering at idle also (on my bone-stock MM). Dimmer pot is all the way up (point just before detente for dome light switch "on" position). So, this is normal?

I am at 2,774 miles--not sure if it has always been like this or if it's something new (I first saw this thread weeks ago and didn't seem to notice anything!).

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information