Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N Filter Charger Kit is On

bigslim Guest

K&N Filter Charger Kit is On

I just spent the morning with Lidio at his shop trying out the K&N Filter Charger on a N/A MM. He did five Dyno runs without the charger and five with the charger. The worst run without the charger was 256.7hp and 279.7 ft pds of torque. The best run without the charger was 259.6hp and 282.1 ft pds of torque. Now the results after the charger was installed, worst run with the charger was 263.9hp and 285.8 ft pds of torque. This is the results of adding the K&N Air Charger. The was no 20hp as some have claimed. The difference between to the worst run w/o the charger and with the charger was 4.3hp and 5 ft pds of torque. After a tune my numbers went up to 263.2hp and 287.1 ft pds of torque. One thing I can say is I love the WOT sound that comes from under the hood now. Also, the car seems a little more responsive. I have posted some pictures and will post the dyno sheets to show the results. Lidio will go more into detail about all later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

KEN filter kit test on dyno

The results are in for the K&N filter kit for the Marauder that’s all stock except for our own performance tune.

I took great care to make sure this was done in as fair of conditions as possible. Just to get a very proper and consistent average I made five pulls with, and five with out the Filter charger kit.
    Starting with out the kit, just the way the car pulled in off the street.

The only thing I did was take the normal ’04 MM performance tune I usually use, witch Slim bought from me a few weeks ago. And made it so that it wouldn’t down shift out of 3rd gear once it was over 35mph and locked the converter after 40 mph. This makes for a very braud and correct looking HP and torque curve, similar to when a stick car is dyno’d in 4th gear ( 1 to 1 trans ratio).

You guys can go over and decide what to make of it. But in the end the filter kit appeared to be worth about 5 - RWHP. All the runs were only about 4-6 minute apart and the temp in my shop with the garage door open stayed at about 63 degrees. The shop did not appear to get hot soaked and neither did the cars motor. In my opining this was a very fair and correctly done test.

One can see though that if you wanted to… you could take the worst pull with out the kit and compare it to the best pull with the kit and conceivably come up with a higher gain.

This is why so many gimmicky, over hyped parts seem to never really own up to what’s claimed when I actually get my hands on this stuff. Always seems like claimed numbers aren’t quite met when unbiased, consistent and proper tests are preformed.

Please do not think that I’m knocking the K&N filter kit for the MM. It is a great looking, nice fitting kit that works great with a blower so far and 5hp gain on a N/A MM at the rear wheels could amount to be 8-10 gain possibly at the flywheel. Not to bad for a small bolt on type part.

Thanks

I’ve posted all five runs with and w/o the kit and then posted a graph with the most "in-between" run before and after as well.
    All my dyno pulls and tests are SAE by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lidio; 11-22-2004 at 09:06 PM.

I may not be at the top (yet) but definitely on top of things.

Lidio Iacobelli
    Alternativeauto.com

(586)-949-7505

Thank you both BigSlim and Lidio, your professionalism is very much appreciated.

When using the K&N air charger system should we have any concern with rain and puddles? Or should I say any more concern than with the stock air filter?

bigslim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemmdiver
    When using the K&N air charger system should we have any concern with rain and puddles? Or should I say any more concern than with the stock air filter?
    I know people that have put the Pro-MAF air filters on their MM's and have no problem with the rain. I would imagine that it should be the same for the K&N. It will probably do better since it has a heat sheild around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lidio
    You guys can go over and decide what to make of it. But in the end the filter kit appeared to be worth about 5 - RWHP.
    THIS IS REALISTIC AND BELIEVABLE!

Thank you Lidio, I respect and value your tests and opinions above any of the manufacturers.

I would love to say..."I told you so" to a few people.
    2017 Niro

I’ve posted all five runs with and w/o the kit and then posted a graph with the most "in-between" run before and after as well.
    All my dyno pulls and tests are SAE by the way.
    Really good analysis and documentation of the comparison. Thanks, Lidio and BigSlim.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 11-22-2004 at 02:31 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Question AFR adjustments......

The results are in for the K&N filter kit for the Marauder that’s all stock except for our own performance tune.

The only thing I did was take the normal ’04 MM performance tune I usually use, which Slim bought from me a few weeks ago. And made it so that it wouldn’t down shift out of 3rd gear once it was over 35mph and locked the converter after 40 mph.

But in the end the filter kit appeared to be worth about 5 - RWHP.
    This is why so many gimmicky, over hyped parts seem to never really own up to what’s claimed when I actually get my hands on this stuff. Always seems like claimed numbers aren’t quite met when unbiased, consistent and proper tests are preformed.

Thanks
    After adding this kit, did you have to re-adjust the AFR ?
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

mmmmmmarauder Guest

bottom line>>>

What is the best cold air induction/air filter system
    for the Marauder (power-wise, of course)?

I would be willing to add a hood scoop, cut a hole
    in the hood (see Mitsubishi mesh top sport design),
    or anything else until I save up for a blower or a
    bigger engine...

Can anyone give an unbiased review of the JLT,
    Metco, K & N, or other systems...?

How long would the engine last without an air filter?
    (kidding)

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmarauder
    for the Marauder (power-wise, of course)?Peter
    They all function alike. Pick the one that appeals to YOU.

I have the PHP KIT. I like it.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmdiver
    Here are a couple of threads on that subject:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=11452

I followed the suggestions of Constable and researched the prefilters, then did this:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=11855

The foam prefilter stops most moisture and virtually all the grit from getting up to the filter. Then the nylon "sack" keeps any moisture that does get by from getting to the filter element. During dyno tests, at WOT, the nylon prefilter doesn't move to try and collapse on the filter element, so I believe the open weave makes it very free-flowing.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmarauder
    for the Marauder (power-wise, of course)?
    This seems to be one of the nicer looking kits, and appears to be well designed. From the last comparision, of the two runs, it looks like about a 5HP gain, from about 4200rpm up. That's not too bad, I s'pose.

We all know that a cool engine makes more power... Back to back runs, with similarly lengthy cool downs would have been interesting. Dyno numbers, and real world experience can be quite different. Does anyone think the opened hood defeats the purpose of the heat shield?

Data logging of IAT and MAF readings before and after, during real world driving would be cool , and could give imperical data, to substanciate the subjective SOTP
    2001 Silver SVT Lightning - 2011 Blue Flame F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost

SOLD 2003 Marauder (300A)

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo50
    After adding this kit, did you have to re-adjust the AFR ?
    Didnt check it on this MM, but I assure you, it probably didnt change at all or very little. Stock MM's are always at about 13:1 and stay pretty close to that with minor induction and exhaust changes.

I may not be at the top (yet) but definitely on top of things.

Lidio Iacobelli
    Alternativeauto.com

(586)-949-7505

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim
    I just spent the morning with Lidio at his shop trying out the K&N Filter Charger on a N/A MM. He did five Dyno runs without the charger and five with the charger. The worst run without the charger was 256.7hp and 279.7 ft pds of torque. The best run without the charger was 259.6hp and 282.1 ft pds of torque. Now the results after the charger was installed, worst run with the charger was 263.9hp and 285.8 ft pds of torque. This is the results of adding the K&N Air Charger. The was no 20hp as some have claimed. The difference between to the worst run w/o the charger and with the charger was 4.3hp and 5 ft pds of torque. After a tune my numbers went up to 263.2hp and 287.1 ft pds of torque. One thing I can say is I love the WOT sound that comes from under the hood now. Also, the car seems a little more responsive. I have posted some pictures and will post the dyno sheets to show the results. Lidio will go more into detail about all later.
    I thought that the 20HP claim was on a Trilogy S/C car?
    A 'Roots' type S/C is very sensitive/responsive to improvements in flow prior to the blower....I wouldn't expect a N/A MM to have nearly as big a HP gain.
    A Trilogy S/C engine is much "hungrier" for air.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

bigslim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    I thought that the 20HP claim was on a Trilogy S/C car?
    A 'Roots' type S/C is very sensitive/responsive to improvements in flow prior to the blower....I wouldn't expect a N/A MM to have nearly as big a HP gain.
    A Trilogy S/C engine is much "hungrier" for air.
    That is true Joe. There were some under the asumption that there would big a big increase for the N/A MMs. One thing is when I do put the blower on mine later I already have this. I do like the way it sounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information