Thread: Anyone Tried All 4 Tires the Same Size w/TC

Anyone Tried All 4 Tires the Same Size w/TC

I asked a similar question a while ago and got some theories but I don't think that anyone that replied had actually done it. I want to run 4 winter tires the same size but I don't know if the T/C will try to kick in during normal conditions.

Now that we have some snow and ice here in Minnesota, I've done a little experimenting. The T/C doesn't seem to react nearly as fast as on other vehicles I've driven with T/C. This leads me to think that the T/C may be programmed "loose" enough to accept rear tires the same as front tires.

Anyone with a 2004 actually tried 4 wheels/tires the same size yet? If so, what happened?

Thanks.
    2004 Marauder, 302 hp, DTR over Charcoal, built
    04/04/04, and delivered 06/17/04. Sold 02/23/07 with 77,000 miles

2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 239 hp, 98,000 miles

2003 Anniversary Special Corvette Convertible, 350 hp, 18,000 miles

1967 Corvette, 435 hp, 100,000 + miles

1977 IH Scout, lots of torque, lots of miles

1994 Topaz, who cares, 232,000 miles

Hopefully someone has an answer for you but I am afraid I don't.

Is there any reason you want to use the same size all around?

jta

2003 Marauder 300A
    --76 of 7838 208 of 7839
    --Born on 5/27/02
    --4:10 gears
    --SCT9100 Tuner (Lidio's Tune)
    --BFG KDW2 Tires (235/50 front; 255/55 rear)
    --12C spark plugs
    --Granatelli Connectors
    --Pro-Guard
    1976 Eldorado Convertible For Sale
    In line for a 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT

I think there are members who have done this. My $.02's is that your fine under about 35MPH. Above that the TC lite will come on, regardless if your running winter tires or summer tires of the same size. Since the TC is rather useless at that speed, just reach over and turn it off. The light will still be on, but it won't have any effect on the driveability of the car.

Any other comments...........

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Actually this HAS been discussed....like....alot.....
    A 'search' of the key words 'same size tires' yielded the THESE THREADS.

Yes, you must sort through all the threads, and most pertain to snow tires, and finding the exact wording; "YES, the T/C light comes on over 40 mph with same size wheels" ....but trust me, it's out there.....some where.....

Or, we could just start another thread?

There are ways to beat this issue....but....that's out there too, and honestly, I don't remember how they did it.

BRB, I better go read my own search results....
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by 427435
    I asked a similar question a while ago and got some theories but I don't think that anyone that replied had actually done it. I want to run 4 winter tires the same size but I don't know if the T/C will try to kick in during normal conditions.

Now that we have some snow and ice here in Minnesota, I've done a little experimenting. The T/C doesn't seem to react nearly as fast as on other vehicles I've driven with T/C. This leads me to think that the T/C may be programmed "loose" enough to accept rear tires the same as front tires.

Anyone with a 2004 actually tried 4 wheels/tires the same size yet? If so, what happened?

Thanks.
    yes! I have tryed this and there is no way it can work! I put 4 of the stock rear size 245/55/18's on my 04 dtr mm and at 50mph w/tc on it will shut you down after 45 mph tc computer thinks rear wheels are spinning or sliping .. ford mo co. has factory stock tire sizes programed in computer that cannot be changed. my ford dealer has tryed and they called ford answer noway!! so i went to sutton ford a supertune dealer they said they also could not change factory settings for tc/abs.. but for $399.00 they could program a chip and for $299.00 more try to trick tc by messing w/front sensor's and rear gear ratio... I said no thanks bought two new front stock size tires problem sloved for $300.00
    BAD DTR MERK 04

Quote Originally Posted by 427435

Thanks.
    I have a 2003 and i think the answer is the same tah with a 2004: The difference in diameter front to rear is 5%. If you put 4 same sizes tires, the TC start acting in the 30 to 45 mph range thinking that you are on a spinning spiral= it will start its cutting hp and tq procedure even at very light throttle. The only cure is putting the switch at off. If you forget, the only problem is that you will feel after a few hundreds yards that the car "doesn't want to go" or accelerate. No damage possible, just a reminder: Gee i forgot to put at off again.

I personnally run 4 same size tires for the winter: 235-70-16 on PI rims with a routine to put the switch at off at every start. I love this EXTREME setup : narrow the tread 2.5 inches and a bit more in diameter in the rear and quite a bit more in the front. The tires digs prettty good (and empty themselves easily too from the crap at every rotation) and when you start losing it in the curve when you go too fast, the car react very slowly, like in slow motion whitch make it very easy to correct and control. Actually, i must admit to love that sideways thing ...

This is a setup specific for the harsh winter and big storms like the one i encounter where i live. It has a tough look too and it fill the fenders BMW style. It work very very good. You also get slightly better ground clearance and can do the full 4 tires rotation. As a bonus with our 4200lbs car, i can regularly (but not all of them) smoke off small front drive imports with lower ground clearance and so so tires. Their look is sometimes priceless.

Hey 427435,

I too noticed the lag time before T/C kicks in.When a uneducated shop rotated wheels front to back and test drove it.The ABS LIght and check engine light triggered and stayed on too!I would not choose to disarm the T/C by haveing same size tires,as just yesterday the plow left a fair ammount of snow and ice in front of the car and it didn't require me to rock or or worse having to hunt for help to push it!I have heard many members comment they dont like T/C .For these Nay sayers I just Better you than me!
    Bradley G
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Kudos to Michael Ward and snowbird, thanks for the great 411.

Thanks Mike and Snowbird for your info. I guess I have to decide between having 4 winter tires the same size (which will allow me to rotate for the 2nd winter) or if I want to keep the T/C working at higher speeds. With my 65 mile (each way) commute, there are a number of times during the winter when you can't tell if you're on black ice or just a wet surface. Hitting the brakes to find out can get exciting and stepping on it hard (to see if the rear wheels start spinning) can be even more exciting. What I prefer to do is step on it lightly, than a little harder to see if the T/C light comes on. If it does, I slow down a bunch.

Thanks again for the good info.
    2004 Marauder, 302 hp, DTR over Charcoal, built
    04/04/04, and delivered 06/17/04. Sold 02/23/07 with 77,000 miles

2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 239 hp, 98,000 miles

2003 Anniversary Special Corvette Convertible, 350 hp, 18,000 miles

1967 Corvette, 435 hp, 100,000 + miles

1977 IH Scout, lots of torque, lots of miles

1994 Topaz, who cares, 232,000 miles

Thread Information