Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some More Marauder Dyno Stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Lidio
    ... but they didn’t exactly fix what was wrong with these little 281 cubic inch motors. Low end torque or lack there of...
    Lidio I have enjoyed your thread and the way you document everything you do. I feel compelled to come in defense of that little 281. How Ford chose to release the MM. does an injustice to that little 281, I changed the exhaust on mine (SVO shorties) the airbox (PHP) and U/D's....all else is what Ford put in it. I have 265 ft/lbs of torque at 2000 rpm's, arrive at 300 tq at 3850 and remain above 300 to 5200 rpm's.

If I stab the pedal from a dead stop the car will spin the tires without moving for about 1 to 2 seconds and gradually hook-up and start to bolt....I have; in my younger days owned or driven big block V-8's and with the exception of the 440 six-pack none of them bolted from a dead start any better than my little 281.
    Last edited by Smokie; 12-22-2004 at 04:10 PM.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Quote Originally Posted by Lidio
    Here it is…

This is the one that a lot of people are waiting to see and some probably don’t.
    As slanted as this may appear to be to some because of the nature of this comparison. I’m posting it any way because I want to show the difference in low-end-torque between a roots blower and centrifugal type on a 4.6L, 4-Valve MM set up. This is the real deal between roots type blowers and Centrifugals. The main reason for this is to exemplify the difference in low end torque and off idle or as close to off idle TQ each one makes. In no way is the tune responsible for the obvious difference between the two.

First I want to say that I’ve tuned a lot of Vortech equipped cars in the last 12+ years and have really excelled in it the last couple of years because of our dyno and software we now use. Tuning a centrifugal car for us is no big deal, we’ve done hundreds with proper and expected results. The difference in low end shown here is not the tune in any way. It’s the boost, or lack there of, down low. I know I’m repeating my self here.

The tune on the MM with the Vortech shown here was done totally by me because the owner of the car wasn’t happy with the facility that installed and tuned the combination initially here in MI. Sadly as can be seen in the dyno graphs, the blower belt squealed and slipped causing a boost drop at the high end of the pull. This made the Vortech equipped car obviously not make the over all high RPM power that it was capable of. But this post and these graphs are to show the difference in low end torque between the two.

Just a side note… The blower belt on a Trilogy set up is its own stand alone 8-rib belt just for the blower. The Vortech set-up’s use one 6-rib to support all the accessories and the blower too.

Also the Cyntrifugal equipped car had long tube headers and only the stock front two cats removed, not all four. I’m not sure why this was done. I feel leaving the rest of the system stock especially the mufflers, negates the use of the headers. I also feel that the centrifugal equipped car would have made a pretty impressive peak number had the boost not fell off. As you can see in the graph, the boost was continuing to rise pretty good on the Vortech car and probably would have hit 9.5 to 10psi and a least 390-400+ RWHP.

Not to many people I know… in-fact no one I know at this time (except for JW @ SCT) is doing what I do with the trans shifts and converter here (when dynoing) . Where I set it up to “not” down shift out of third gear once its over 25mph and lock the converter the whole time. As I’ve said before, this shows a very real Torque and HP pull just like a stick shift car would on a chassis dyno. This showing of the amount of low end these have is what’s felt and used the most on heavy street cars from street light to street light and day to day!

Just for some added info and data, I also posted a dyno graph of a Stick-shift ’03 Mach-1 we did a Vortech on recently… which ran very good with long tubes and a full 2.5” exhaust with two hi-flo cats too.
    The ’03-’04 Mach-1’s have the same motor as the MM’s except the stick-shift Mach-1’s got a steel crank. The MM’s and auto trans Mach’s got a cast crank.
    The Mach made the power and torque over all like it should from 2000 RPM’s all the way up. The Mach makes more then the MM with a Vortech over all because of less power train losses and it’s a stick shift.

This is all good and honest data for those interested in a blower for their cars. It’s a pretty fair example of the low end grunt differences.

As can be seen in the Trilogy’s low end torque… this is the reason a Trilogy MM will run very good with nothing done to it at all other then the Trilogy blower kit. They perform very well with out a loose, after market torque-converter and do very well with the stock 3.55s in axle too. Although they wake up more with additional boost and other upgrades as well.

Thanks
    I was just reviewing the boost curve that Lidio posted a few weeks ago and I have a question concerning the Centrifugal Superchargers......
    The Centrifugal S/C boost curve rises with RPM and peaks at redline.
    i.e. A 9 psi Centrifugal S/C does not make 9 psi boost until the very top of the rpm range.
    Why can't you install a 14 psi Centrifugal S/C pulley and a bypass valve set at 9 psi?? That way you will get 9 psi boost much sooner in the rpm range and hold 9 psi until redline??
    That's what all Turbocharger systems do....build boost to a preset limit, then the bypass/blow-off valve holds that level of boost until redline.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

MikesMerc Guest
    There are a number of issues...

First, most by pass/blow off valve designs are meant for reducing huge back pressure (and the associated high reverse flow pressure on the impeller) that occurs when the throttle is closed....not regualting boost. Large levels of unreleived back pressure cause tremendous heat and can damage the blower at higher cfm levels when the throttle slams shut. Accordingly, most by pass and blow off valves are controlled by a vacuum line off the intake rather than by actually regulating boost pressure. When the throttle is closed enough to produce an intake vacuum, the vacuum line holds the by pass open and releives boost pressure.

Second, assuming you can find a pressure regulated valve, you'd have to make sure it is a by pass as the MM runs with a MAF. Once air is "sampled" by the meter it cannot be discharged into the atmoshpere. The draw back here is that the "by pass" is not as effective as a blow off valve as a by pass only recirculates the boost pressure (vs blowing it off into the atmosphere).

Third, you'd be grossly overspinning the blower at higher rpm ranges. Because a centrifugal blower makes power exponentially with higher rpms, the blower would spin right past its safe impeller rpm range before you ran it up much at all if you began with 9psi of effective boost at lower rpms. All the "rush" of boost that comes on that way is fun, there is a limit as how to apply it.

Last, you'd be making serious heat with a blower along with overspinning it if lower rpms produced boost. Again, the exponential boost relation to impeller rpm is the killer.
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 01-07-2005 at 10:53 PM.

I need a LIDIO TUNE. How do I go about purchasing one etc? I have a SCT SCANNER WITH A D.R. tune installed.
    Thanks!

T.

this thread is over 9 years old!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJCOX View Post
    I need a LIDIO TUNE. How do I go about purchasing one etc? I have a SCT SCANNER WITH A D.R. tune installed.
    Thanks!

T.
    Call Dennis. He would be happy to TAKE your money.

If you send him your tuner he'll unlock it

What he'll do with it after that is anyone's guess
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Quote Originally Posted by TJCOX View Post
    Thanks!

T.
    Lidio Iacobelli
    Alternativeauto.com

(586)-949-7505
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

Quote Originally Posted by lji372 View Post
    If you send him your tuner he'll unlock it

What he'll do with it after that is anyone's guess
    ***snicker***

You guys are just plain MEAN!!

Subscribing to see where this might go.....(grin)!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    You guys are just plain MEAN!!

Subscribing to see where this might go.....(grin)!!
    Don't confuse "mean" with "experience."

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    Don't confuse "mean" with "experience."
    Kinder words were never spoken

Quote Originally Posted by jflave View Post
    Kinder words were never spoken
    You $hould $ee what ha$ happened $ince your debacle!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information