Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-150 Performance Tune for the 5.4L ... 3-Valve

F-150 Performance Tune for the 5.4L ... 3-Valve

I’ve spent the last couple of months developing and working on a performance tune for the new 3-valve 5.4L… F-150’s. And have come up with some pretty impressive results.

I know this isn’t a Marauder thing but I thought I share it here any way since it is a Ford product and I think Ford is going to sell a lot of these new F-150’s.
    How many consumers are going to be looking to “Reflash” them for improved performance is hard to say but I’ve come up with some thing pretty good here and thought I’d share it with the MM members for starters.

If the F-150 owner is willing to run mid grade or premium fuels, this tune is significantly noticble in all aspects of driving, from stop light to stop light and high way driving as well. Even on mid grade fuel there is plenty of stuff we do with this tune that make it pretty worth while.

Here is a link to the actual info page about the whole thing on my web site.
    Just click on the F-150 truck banner.

www.alternativeauto.com

Thanks
    Last edited by Lidio; 01-12-2005 at 12:00 PM.

I may not be at the top (yet) but definitely on top of things.

Lidio Iacobelli
    Alternativeauto.com

(586)-949-7505

Quote Originally Posted by Lidio
    I’ve spent the last couple of months developing and working on a performance tune for the new 3-valve 5.4L… F-150’s. And have come up with some pretty impressive results.

I know this isn’t a Marauder thing but I thought I share it here any way since it is a Ford product and I think Ford is going to sell a lot of these new F-150’s.
    How many consumers are going to be looking to “Reflash” them for improved performance is hard to say but I’ve come up with some thing pretty good here and thought I’d share it with the MM members for starters.

If the F-150 owner is willing to run premium fuel this tune is significantly noticble in all aspects of driving, from stop light to stop light and high way driving as well. Even on mid grade fuel there is plenty of stuff we do with this tune that make it pretty worth while.

www.alternativeauto.com

Thanks
    Well, there goes any hope of more fun for the Marauder. Once the wife see's this, I'm toast...
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Nice results Lidio!

Websites looking great with the updates and info also...very nice.
    Silver 2004 Marauder
    Trilogy #48 (SOLD April 2014)

1984 Mustang GT, stock, 60,000 original miles (SOLD August 2013)

2017 Ram Rebel 1500, Silver: 5.7 Hemi, Lots of extras...
    Previous: 2014 Durango R/T

I am sure there are plenty of people that will be interested in this. Might want to check out this site for posting the information, too:

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Arrow Me, me I want it!

Thanks
    Ford should be offering that engine in the '05 E- series vans

I will keep my eye on this

Thanks Lidio
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MAD-3R
    Well, there goes any hope of more fun for the Marauder. Once the wife see's this, I'm toast...
    Phil, your comment makes me glad that Marianne is not 'into cars'....She doesn't mind me messing around with them but she could care less about modifying a car, as long as it runs and is reasonably smooth and quiet.
    Oh Well!!! I guess that eliminates ALL of my cars!!
    We hope that you and Tasha are doing well 'deep in the heart of Texas'
    Joe & Marianne
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Lidio,
    I've recently purchased an '04 S'crew 5.4L FX4, and at just under 600 miles took it to the dealer to correct an engine stalling at idle issue. They re-flashed the PCM to fix this. I have read a little bit about this issue on the F150 forum so it is a known issue. Can you provide any details on what was reprogrammed to correct this condition, and does your custom tune correct this as well?
    And if I purchase the SCT Xcalibrator, can it be used to tune both the Marauder and F150?

Thanks,
    Chris
    '03 Marauder 300A
    35% llumar tint
    '04 F150 Supercrew FX4
    Triton 5.4L
    Pwr moonroof & rear slider
    Limited slip 3.73 rear axle & tow package
    Rhinoliner
    Swiss fiberglass lid

Quote Originally Posted by Topher
    Lidio,
    I've recently purchased an '04 S'crew 5.4L FX4, and at just under 600 miles took it to the dealer to correct an engine stalling at idle issue. They re-flashed the PCM to fix this. I have read a little bit about this issue on the F150 forum so it is a known issue. Can you provide any details on what was reprogrammed to correct this condition, and does your custom tune correct this as well?
    And if I purchase the SCT Xcalibrator, can it be used to tune both the Marauder and F150?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'm not aware of any stalling condition with the F-150's or the factory fix for it. I started tuning and flashing my 05 F-150 when it was two days old and never seen that problem. Although I must say that the new 5.4L F-150 does idle way to low when in drive. This makes it respond poorly and feel non snappy when hitting the gas from a stop. I address this by raising the in-gear idle about 125 rpm, which is still not at all to high and does not make the truck want to creep to much when at a stop and barely holding the brake pedal. Its possible that my tune may inadvertently fix the stall because of the things I do. All the tunes I've sold for the new F-150 have not complained about any thing yet.

And the Xcal can not be used on more then one Ford product at a time. The Xcal marry's its self or VIN locks to each vehicle it’s used on until that vehicle is returned to stock. I do offer special pricing on repeat or multiple Xcal purchases.

Thanks

Lidio Iacobelli
    Alternativeauto.com

(586)-949-7505

Lidio,

Thanks for the information. It did seem like the truck idled a bit low in gear. When I was having the stalling issue I'd take it out of gear at a red light & that seemed to prevent it. FYI, here is the thread from the F150 forum I was referring to-

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...a918f8be218f86

Seems like some people had their PCMs reflashed (my fix so far), some had their PCMs replaced, and some had the throttle bodys replaced. I've only driven it about 5 miles since the re-flash, but so far so good.

Chris
    '03 Marauder 300A
    35% llumar tint
    '04 F150 Supercrew FX4
    Triton 5.4L
    Pwr moonroof & rear slider
    Limited slip 3.73 rear axle & tow package
    Rhinoliner
    Swiss fiberglass lid

Lidio, I went to the class on the new Lincoln Mark LT and the first thing I noticed was how lazy it was under all driving conditions compared to the heavier but quicker 99-04 Lincoln Navigators with 5.4 4-valve engine and 4R100/E4OD (4-speed auto) transmission. The 05 Navigator has the 5.4 3-valve coupled with a ZF 6-speed automatic that actually hides the decreased "off idle response" due to the lower first gear ratio. Also the Mark LT and 05 Navigator does not have the mid-range response like the 4-valve Navigators has in spades. Lidio, this truck definitely needs your tweeks, by the way it already requires 91 octane fuel from the factory, unlike the 87 octane F150. Lidio, I don't know if you have ever been on the Ford of Australia website (www.fpv.com.au) where you would find that Ford of Australia does not even waste their time with the 4.6 displacement engines; be it 2-valve, 3-valve, or 4-valve. They start right off with the Boss 260kw (348hp) 5.4 3-valve and then they go up to a Boss 290kw (388 hp) that is very similar to the 2000 Cobra R engine but better, yes better (I will post some information I received from a Ford of Australia engineer on this engine at a later time). In Australia the Boss 260 and Boss 290 compete with the GM's LS1 and LS2 powered Holden Special Vehicles, so they have to right.

If the F-150 owner is willing to run mid grade or premium fuels, this tune is significantly noticble in all aspects of driving, from stop light to stop light and high way driving as well. Even on mid grade fuel there is plenty of stuff we do with this tune that make it pretty worth while.

www.alternativeauto.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfsv

Lidio, I went to the class on the new Lincoln Mark LT and the first thing I noticed was how lazy it was under all driving conditions compared to the heavier but quicker 99-04 Lincoln Navigators with 5.4 4-valve engine and 4R100/E4OD (4-speed auto) transmission. The 05 Navigator has the 5.4 3-valve coupled with a ZF 6-speed automatic that actually hides the decreased "off idle response" due to the lower first gear ratio. Also the Mark LT and 05 Navigator does not have the mid-range response like the 4-valve Navigators has in spades. Lidio, this truck definitely needs your tweeks, by the way it already requires 91 octane fuel from the factory, unlike the 87 octane F150. Lidio, I don't know if you have ever been on the Ford of Australia website (www.fpv.com.au) where you would find that Ford of Australia does not even waste their time with the 4.6 displacement engines; be it 2-valve, 3-valve, or 4-valve. They start right off with the Boss 260kw (348hp) 5.4 3-valve and then they go up to a Boss 290kw (388 hp) that is very similar to the 2000 Cobra R engine but better, yes better (I will post some information I received from a Ford of Australia engineer on this engine at a later time). In Australia the Boss 260 and Boss 290 compete with the GM's LS1 and LS2 powered Holden Special Vehicles, so they have to right.

I’m very interested in seeing where this new 6-speed auto trans is going. I found out that it was coming in the ‘05 Nav just a couple of months ago. I also believe that it has a very low first gear, like you said…. Some thing like a 4.22 1st gear ratio. I thought the 5R55S had a really low 1st at 3.22 in the new Mustangs, but a 4.22 1st is pretty low gearing. I also heard that Ford has licensed the ZF 6-speed auto trans design and will be offering it in many other cars and trucks in the near future. My understanding is that this new 6-speed is pretty tough and could fit in the 05 Mustang where as the 4R70W 4-speed wont fit the trans tunnel of the 05 GT’s. The reason I say this is that the 5R55S 5-speed auto currently in the 05 GT is no where near the toughness of the 4R70W in the older Mustangs, MM’s and F-150’s.

I’d love to tweak one of the new Lincoln’s when one comes to me.

About the Australian guys…. I’ve known that they pretty much only have 5.4L’s in all their Ford cars for a couple of years now. I don’t understand how we got stuck with the little 4.6L for the last 15 years only in passenger cars. It became obvious to me that Ford new it wasn’t enough motor when the 4.6L in the 03 Cobra got a blower.

Thanks

Lidio Iacobelli
    Alternativeauto.com

(586)-949-7505

reign16 Guest
    oh really but it feels like small engine of an F50?

Quote Originally Posted by reign16 View Post
    oh really but it feels like small engine of an F50
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

Good Morning,
    I am going to buy a 6.2L Raptor Crew Cab with towing package.
    I would like to add some HP to it I understand SW Works makes nice headers and 3"
    duals out the back. I am wondering what you might suggest for a blower. Defenately
    looking for a blower and maybe Meth injection water to air exchanger, evern chiller killer. Let me know what you think. I guess the warrenty is history with something like this.
    Perhaps a 2.9 whipple or more. I would like to kick some serious butt with this
    truck in the end. I understand you are not the cheapest, but you are the best.
    That is good enough for me. We should talk.
    Russell
    Last edited by Mercguy04; 05-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Russell call Jerry Barnes at Trilogy he makes an eaton based S/C kit for that engine/truck
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information