Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for cleaning windows?

Any tips for cleaning windows?

I absolutely suck at cleaning the inside windows (the rear window is the worst).

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or products that do a good job?

Sorry to say that I don't think there's any substitute for elbow grease. This is the part of vehicle cleaning I hate the most, I have to admit.

I've been using an amonia free glass cleaner for fear of messing up my window tint. Apart from that, though, I just climb in and start spraying and wiping.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

You MUST go easy on amonia based prodfucts with tinted windows.

Don't let anyone smoke in your car.

And, do what I do, let your girlfriend, wife, significant other doing the cleaning part. I am in charge of driving!!!

Mark McQuaide Guest
    I've been using windex and it sucks...wipe and wipe and wipe till it looks clean, than a day later when it gets in the sun it's a mess. I'd be interested in hearing what people do too.

I use "commercial" Windex and it seems to be OK. I think the household Windex has more water and less cleaning agents than it use to.

I buy mine at Smart & Final
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

Don't any of you guys remember helping Mom wash windows with vinegar and newspaper?

IMHO...Glass cleaners are all basically the same chemicals, find the chepest and buy bulk, lay in a stock. Those who like to spray and wipe dry, are leaving behind a soap residue that cause the streaks, but it also is magnetic-like in attracting fresh dust. I mix a 50/50 solution with water in a paint bucket and "wash" the glass with a sponge. Rinse the sponge often and you won't spread old dirt around the window. After the "elbow grease" is over, wipe dry. Next, I mix a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar in a paint bucket and repeat. This cuts the residue soap real nice, glass should squeek, no streaks. Great on chrome and plated finishes too. Save your paper towels for drying, not washing, and you'll use 1/4th of what you do now...IMHO

Mark McQuaide Guest
    As usual, a wealth of info, Sarge!

Originally posted by SergntMac
    Don't any of you guys remember helping Mom wash windows with vinegar and newspaper?

IMHO...Glass cleaners are all basically the same chemicals, find the chepest and buy bulk, lay in a stock. Those who like to spray and wipe dry, are leaving behind a soap residue that cause the streaks, but it also is magnetic-like in attracting fresh dust. I mix a 50/50 solution with water in a paint bucket and "wash" the glass with a sponge. Rinse the sponge often and you won't spread old dirt around the window. After the "elbow grease" is over, wipe dry. Next, I mix a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar in a paint bucket and repeat. This cuts the residue soap real nice, glass should squeek, no streaks. Great on chrome and plated finishes too. Save your paper towels for drying, not washing, and you'll use 1/4th of what you do now...IMHO

And with the left over you can add a few spices, some olive oil and voila.. Salad Dressing!!!
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal
    Silencer Removed
    K&N Air Filter
    Amsoil Synthetic

Patrick Guest
    Just one Idea I use. For I am a smoker and do in the Rauder. DONT BANNISH ME FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!! Eagel one has cleaner called 20/20 cleaner. Works for me but it does require the elbow grease thing. A neccesary evil but even though I smoke I dont seem to have to clean as often. I hope this helps. And to stanleyk, if was into blackmail your post would be great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldnt resist sorry!!!!!!!!!

Patrick: Too late on teh blackmail idea. She already logged onto this site to see what I was spending all of my time doing (they are nosey, aren't they???). She has been riding me ever since. Well, we'll just see if she gets to drive the car after those antics......

mtnh Guest
    I use the Eagle 20/20 as well. It's got an isopropyl alcohol base, so it knows how to cut through the real crap that nests on your window glass. Also, if you use that junk called "Armor All" or any subsitute, or any leather cleaner/conditioners, be aware that these products bake out of the surface that you put them on and end up on your glass as well, giving your glass that "chain smoker" type of glass residue effect. That can really cause window cleaning to be done on a more frequent basis. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do some things to your interior, because leather really needs TLC (which I horrible about providing) but just be aware that your car care is what can lead to dirtier windows. I leave my windows cracked open in the sun, just for this reason, under the theory that the car can breathe out some of this concentrated air pollution, which has to help prolong the clean windows at leats a little bit.

I buy my Eagle1 20/20 Glass Cleaner at Autozone.

Mike

I use Glass plus (Glass & Surface Cleaner), streak free shine everytime. Contains no ammonia, it's safe for tinted windows. Use the Scott Shop Towels on a roll, blue in color, they work well.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

I use 20/20, but you gotta be carefull with it. If your glass if really hot, it'll streak like mad.

james_hart6 Guest
    Sarge is right on this one. Years ago, in a different life, I managed an automobile cleanup shop for used car dealers. Clean glass was critical - even to the point of cleaning the side windows down an inch to make sure there was no "line" 1/4" at the top where it rests in the door frame. We used vinegar, water and crumpled newspaper; the only caveat is that you've got to not over do the vinegar or your MM will have a non-factory authorized odor <g> and the newsprint will come off of the paper onto your hands or upholstery, so don't leave the old paper in the car as you crumple up a new sheet.

Some commercial products work well too, but I've never had a problem using vinegar/water (assuming the temperature is above 32 degrees f.!)

Your mileage may vary <g>.

Jim

Invisible Glass by Stoner Products works very well. When I can't find it I use the 20/20.
    2004 Marauder
    Black
    Dark Charcoal Interior

2006 Mustang GT
    Satin Silver
    Black Leather Int.
    5-Speed Auto Trans.

2003 Grand Marquis LSE
    Silver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information