Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy. New Guy Questions.

jjaguda Guest

New Guy. New Guy Questions.

Hello everyone.
    REcently bought an '03 MM with 52k miles - highway. I have looked as several threads on problems with these cars. I'm not going to complain, as I've been through several battles over things like the Tremec 3650 BS 5speed problem with cold 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd shift problems. Also have had the older Crown Vics with the POOR intakes with the plastic water jackets that blow out at the worst possible times. (Yes, I guess I'm into punishment sticking with a product line with a poor design history on several fronts, but I still like the blue oval, and, other manufactures all have their own manufacturing defects.) BUT, I am looking for a summary of the most common problems the MMs seem to have. I've seen the "blue smoke" problem and the left head problem. Is there anything else? Is there anything specific they you guys feel I should absolutely know about the blue smoke and head problems? Should I get a horse and just shoot it when it breaks? Should I buy a powerball ticket and click my heels together three times, etc., etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Joe

Think Positive

Hello & Welcome,

My advice...

Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of your new vehicle, focus on how much you like the car. Afterall, thats why you bought it, right? Make sure you read up on all of the Marauderville threads where people have fun, get together, eat fantastic food, race, and take pictures etc. The true meaning of this car lies in the people behind their wheels, not the blue smoke that comes from the tail pipes. Blue smoke, head problems, and ticks asside...take some time to enjoy your vehicle...it is in fact one of 11,000.

-Mat
    2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    Trilogy Eaton Intercooled Supercharger #200
    483 RWHP 471 RWTQ @ 13.5 lbs of Boost 2.8" Pulley
    11.76 @ 116.25 1.65 60ft
    17,500 Miles

Patrick Guest
    Welcome!!

I had the Master cylinder go out at 300 miles. No problems in 2 plus years of any kind since. Well I broke the ash tray but I dont think that counts. Just enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpearce
    My advice...

Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of your new vehicle, focus on how much you like the car. Afterall, thats why you bought it, right? ...
    -Mat
    I agree ... so far, I have had not one real problem with the car other than the sticking passenger window. I have had so much fun with the MM that any little nits and noids don't even bother me. Of course, I don't have blue smoke, moisture in the headlights, swirly black paint, or tie rubs on the door tips. Guess I am just lucky. Now where's that wood to knock on.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Welcome!!

I had the Master cylinder go out at 300 miles. No problems in 2 plus years of any kind since. Well I broke the ash tray but I dont think that counts. Just enjoy!!!
    Patrick, you're supposed to empty it out when its full.....
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

Welcome aboard!

Enjoy the car....I know you will.
    Don't worry about the blue smoke, etc. Get a new
    oil change( synthetic ) and forget your troubles.
    At over 50K you're good to go!

Gotta Love It!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

Joe, buy the Powerball ticket and click your heels
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Hey dude you have one of the coolest and most identifyable cars on the road today enjoy it,you will realize this the more you drive it
    # 2352 Lidio Built my Hot Rod... 2011 S55-001

Welcome to our world.......................

Patrick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wchain
    Patrick, you're supposed to empty it out when its full.....
    I got your #!!!!

jjaguda Guest
    Thanks for the replies.

Please don't get me wrong. I love this car. I've wanted one since they first appeared. I tried getting a new one but it turned out to be too much of a PIA finding a local dealer that would find one, and Mercury stopped production. With that I figured I get one out of warranty that I can modify without messing with the dealer warranty poop. Anyway, I hope to have a long relationship with the MM.

My questions deal keeping the car in top shape. As I want to keep this car for the long haul, I just want to know what problems I may be facing. I like to keep my cars in top shape with 3k oil changes, 30k trans service, etc. If I do, or will, have a valve seal problem, head cooling problem, or any other problem, I just want to know about them in advance. Like others, I'm not big on surprises.

So - Merc-o-matic . . . synthetic oil. Got it.
    I've done a full flush of the trans and torque converter.
    Have cleaned, polished, shined, sat and starred at, one of the meanest looking, best performing 4200 pound production cars on the street. I've had several Crown Vics. This MM is night and day in all categories. I very much understand the uniqueness of this car. Went to the same shop for the muffler install and the trans service. The gearheads hanging out drop what they are doing and gather around my car. VERY COOL!

Thanks again for the info. Look forward to trying to find a local group here in New Orleans the appreciates the MM and the MACH 1.

You have mentioned most of the problem areas. Maintain the engine and tranny, they should be fine. Keep an ear out for rear end noise, there was a production problem with some units having axles that were improperly hardened, causing premature wear of the axles/bearings. Otherwise little things like leather steering wheel wrap coming loose, moisture in the headlights, tires (wear, alignment, pressure, balancing) have been discussed in many threads here.

Enjoy having one of the coolest cars around. I still come out of stores to find someone walking around mine to check it out! And they're ignoring the sporty cars parked nearby!!!
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Thumbs up

Welcome to the MercuryMarauder.net group !

You'll soon find out that you've joined the nicest group of people you could find ANYWHERE !!!

I've got a Black 2K4 Marauder that's almost a year old with 20k on the odometer.
    No problems here to talk about.

I have changed the oil with Mobil1 0W-20 and a K&N HP-2010 filter every 3k miles up until 12k miles.
    I had the oil sent to Blackstone labs for testing and they told me that I was good to go for 5k miles on Mobil 1,
    so I now do the Oil and Filter changes every 5k miles and send a sample to Blackstone
    to keep a tab on the engine's health.
    The Service Manager at my dealership enjoys reading about the oil analysis, and finds it very valuable and educational.
    I am the first customer he has seen take more interest in my car's health,
    than most people take in their own health.

I also elected to flush the Tranny every 15k miles instead of the 30k service interval
    that FORD recommends just on experience with other FORD vehicles.
    The next Tranny service I do I will also send a sample of the tranny oil to Blackstone
    to see what their analysis reveals about my tranny also.

The rear end I had serviced at 20k, and everything looks good at this point in time.
    For my next rear service, I will be adding a Stud and Girdle kit,
    just for the added strength, and the bling bling factor...

My next big service is at 24k, where I will flush out the Antifreeze, change out the thermostat,
    the fuel filter, and have the Throttle Body/Intake Manifold cleaned also.

Enjoy your Marauder, pay attention to its service needs, and the problems will be very few.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Welcome aboard, shipmate! The car is great, this site is great, life is great! Each time I take a friend for a ride I can't tell who is more excited, me or them. As for your questions, ask away. There are a lot of educated folks here who will gladly answer your questions or at least point you in the right direction.

jjaguda Guest
    Since a started this thread, let me share my newly discovered situation. Now that it has warmed up down south, I have verified that I DO have the blue smoke problem. Only at start up after sitting a while. I've been waiting to be sure I not mistaking condesation exhaust in the cold weather as "smoke" (even though I could smell the burning oil). I did another search for "blue smoke" but I did not find a thread on repair out of warranty. Since I can't go to Ford and have them replace the head(s) what is my next move? Has anyone done the replacement of the valve seals? For that matter, I'm guessing from what I read that it IS the valve seals.(?) I'm using Motocraft 5w20, fram filter & driving it with a great deal of enthusiam (if you know what I mean).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information