Thread: Photo of 1953 Mercury

Photo of 1953 Mercury

My brother has been scanning old family photos recently. This is a picture of one of the first cars that I remember when I was a young boy....a Canadian 1953 Mercury. I do not remember what model it was but I do remember that my Mom rolled the car in 1956 and Dad replaced it with a Buick.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/...php/photo/6819

Bob

383 4-speed w air grabber

Quote Originally Posted by 67435animal
    My brother has been scanning old family photos recently. This is a picture of one of the first cars that I remember when I was a young boy....a Canadian 1953 Mercury. I do not remember what model it was but I do remember that my Mom rolled the car in 1956 and Dad replaced it with a Buick.

Bob
    We were looking at old photos this evening and of course some old cars are in the background brings back some great memories! Bob are you hiding in the back seat?

Patrick Guest

Bob
    Showed my dad the pic and now hes looking for his. A 56 Merc. Before my time. But if he does I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Oval
    We were looking at old photos this evening and of course some old cars are in the background brings back some great memories! Bob are you hiding in the back seat?
    I honestly don't remember the picture but if I were in the car, it would be in the back!

Bob

Could be worse. Todd was always running behind the car.

Back in the 50's, my family would go to the New Hampshire White Mountain area for a week each summer. Being a car nut even at a young age, I was always looking at the cars instead of the scenery.

I seem to remember that the Canadian Mercs were called Monarchs?

Maybe the name change happened after the 53 model year?

(Dad worked part time for a used car lot and was always changing cars. One year, we'd ride up in a 47 Nash, then a 48 Buick convertible (straight 8, three speed/column shift), then a 51 Plymouth station wagon (three speed stick), which he taught me to drive on NH public roads at age 15.)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrym3
    Back in the 50's, my family would go to the New Hampshire White Mountain area for a week each summer. Being a car nut even at a young age, I was always looking at the cars instead of the scenery.

I seem to remember that the Canadian Mercs were called Monarchs?

Maybe the name change happened after the 53 model year?

(Dad worked part time for a used car lot and was always changing cars. One year, we'd ride up in a 47 Nash, then a 48 Buick convertible (straight 8, three speed/column shift), then a 51 Plymouth station wagon (three speed stick), which he taught me to drive on NH public roads at age 15.)
    Yes, I remember the Monarch, but I do know that Dad's 53 was a Merc.

Bob

Yes, I remember the Monarch, but I do know that Dad's 53 was a Merc.

Bob
    No matter. Every picture tells a story, as they say, and this is a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Ahhhhhhh 53" was a good year, Wasn't born yet but heard it was good http://www.dochemp.com/jay.html Last year of the flathead.
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Found a beautiful 53 Merc red/black roof 2 dr hardtop, 3 sp column shift, on a used car lot one Sunday afternoon long time ago.

Popped the hood expecting to see the usual flathead V-8.

Instead, there was a Caddy or Olds OHV motor. (I forgot which, but I think it was Caddy.)

Never bought or drove it, but it sure was an interesting car.

I liked the 53, but loved the 54, especially the rear tail lights and the Sun Valley model. But, rumor was that the early Ford OHV V-8s were notorious for leaking oil from the rear main seals. (My 55 Ford convertible sure did.)

Found a beautiful 53 Merc red/black roof 2 dr hardtop, 3 sp column shift, on a used car lot one Sunday afternoon long time ago.

Popped the hood expecting to see the usual flathead V-8.

Instead, there was a Caddy or Olds OHV motor. (I forgot which, but I think it was Caddy.)

Never bought or drove it, but it sure was an interesting car.

I liked the 53, but loved the 54, especially the rear tail lights and the Sun Valley model. But, rumor was that the early Ford OHV V-8s were notorious for leaking oil from the rear main seals. (My 55 Ford convertible sure did.)
    Sounds like avery interesting car, Jerry!

Bob

\ But, rumor was that the early Ford OHV V-8s were notorious for leaking oil from the rear main seals. (My 55 Ford convertible sure did.)
    That wasn't the half of it. The 292/312 lost main bearing webs so fast we used to buy 'em by the pickup load. I recall getting 4 of 'em into the back of Bobby's '55 Studebaker at once. We'd get 'em magnafluxed and take the bad ones back to Elwood's and swap 'em for others. We finally gave up on the "Y" block in 1962, and went with 283 um, chevy's.

My experience with Y-Block was different than yours. I had 256, 292, & 312 Cubic Inches with horsepower up to 300(S/C) and never had a rear main leak. All were HD Borg Warner 3 Speed with O/D.
    Bill
    03 Mercury Marauder, 300A
    SOLD
    2005 Lincoln Town Car, ADTR Supercharger, TCE Brake Lines, MO's Tune
    2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve AWD

Thread Information