Thread: trans behavior

trans behavior

I asked my wife the other day " how's the car running"?She replied "It takes a long time to shift".I had not noticed that, while I drove it ?I just turned 17K.
    Yesterday while driving,at very light throttle ,the tack reved about 1500 rpm before it shifted into overdrive.This slipping due to WOT shots without disableing overdrive?I had the trans serviced a few weeks ago ,the full flush proceedure.anyone notice this ? Is this going to get worse.It doesn't seem to act up cold.Only after it has warmed up conciderably. I guess if the trans has to come out this may be a good time to make some changes.Any suggestions?
    Thanks as always!
    Bradley G
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

I'm not sure what you mean that the RPM's were at 1,500 when it hit O/D. I don't understand what the complaint about the RPM's is. but as far as the engine flaring a little when going into O/D or before it does(if that's what you mean) it's funny you should bring up the fact that you've just had a transmission flush abd fill at the dealer, because I noticed that the last time that I had the dealer do that, it seemed that my transmission was doing that alittle bit too. I think that it stopped, but I wonder what it is about that procedure that the dealer does that would cause that. Or perhaps this is all purely coincidental.

Since the tranny is still under the warranty, if in needs repair/replaced, then the dealer will do that for you. As far as upgrading, I doubt they will do it regardless of who pays, as then it will have non OEM parts and any further failure won't be covered under warranty. As for upgrades, Dennis sells a nice kit along with others on the Vendors list. Or you could just make a trip to his shop and let him do the upgrade for you. It'll be an excuse to make a sunny trip to Florida, especially in this lousy weather in the Mid-Atlantic states now.

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    I asked my wife the other day " how's the car running"?She replied "It takes a long time to shift".I had not noticed that, while I drove it ?I just turned 17K.
    Yesterday while driving,at very light throttle ,the tack reved about 1500 rpm before it shifted into overdrive.This slipping due to WOT shots without disableing overdrive?I had the trans serviced a few weeks ago ,the full flush proceedure.anyone notice this ? Is this going to get worse.It doesn't seem to act up cold.Only after it has warmed up conciderably. I guess if the trans has to come out this may be a good time to make some changes.Any suggestions?
    Thanks as always!
    Bradley G
    Good morning Bradley, it's strange that it would do that AFTER a flush & change, especially since Billy had the same experience. Obviously you've checked to make sure they put enough of the correct fluid in it. You think it could be getting an air bubble/vapor lock sort of condition that's making a valve malfunction?
    Anyway it's Lido's post I always go back to when trying to understand these weird transmission issues. http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7491

Best wishes ....mike & barb

Phil @ FLP Guest
    Does it miss shifts at WOT? If so does it do it in specific shifts, such as 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4? I would pull the trans dipstick and give it a look over and smell. If its a dark brown and stinks burnt you may have burnt some of the clutches.

Question

Thanks for all your replies,

The car has never slipped at even partial throttle only at feather throttle.It reves for a brief second and then shifts.I will check the color and condition/level of the trans fluid.It seems strange to me it only happens on ultra light throttle.
    Bradley G
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Thread Information