Thread: NJ Inspection

NJ Inspection

Anyone with a aftermarket header to cat setup have any problems with NJ inspection? I've heard from the local muffler shops that if anything from the manifolds to cats are changed/modified that it wouldn't pass inspection. Does the Marauder have two cats or just one? I think the Kook's only uses one cat. How many oxygen sensors are used on that system?
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

Marauders run four cats (two on each side). I have the Kooks system, which replaces everything with two cats total. There are four O2 sensors. Two are located in the header collectors; two behind the cats.

As for NJ inspection: It is *technically* illegal to modify ANY emissions control equipment on your car unless it is in need of repair and you're replacing the damaged/malfunctioning parts. That equipment includes (but is not limited to): catalytic converters, smog pumps, O2 sensors, etc...

If you take the car to an NJ DMV inspection facility, they do do a quick check of the underside of your car. They use a mirror mounted on a pole to look under your ride. As long as they see cats, you shouldn't have a problem. The employees at the stations aren't the brightest.
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

Correct! However in New Jersey you can still use a "private station" or the "free" Inspection Stations run by the State.

If you can not find a private station to pass you car PM me and I can help

I am working out of the Trenton area
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

I forgot about mentioning the private stations... thanks Jim!

Just to save money, though, I'd go to the state run facility first. If it passes then you're good and it was free! If it fails, then you know you have to dish out some $$ for a private garage to inspect. Good luck!
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)

Cool, thanks for the replies. Last year when I was at the State inspection center the guys were gawking at my car. I guess because of the Meg's Marauder tips and the worn tires I had from auto crossing. I was worried I wasn't gonna pass but they just seemed curious what I was doing with the car.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

They're a bunch of curious morons. I brought my 91 F350 there for inspection. It's got the International 7.3L n/a diesel in it. Some dope shoved a wand up the tailpipe to do an emissions test. IDIOT. The truck wasn't mandated to go through emissions.

Then his dope buddy measures the truck's height (bottom of the door to the ground). He TELLS me I swapped springs and lifted the truck. Then he INSISTS that someone lifted the truck. It's bone stock. My family has owned it since new.

So I set them straight on all that. I guess they must've been pissed that I showed 'em up, so they fail me for the third brake light.

GUESS WHAT MORONS!! It's a 91!!! Ford didn't put 3rd brake lights on F Series pickups 'til 93 or 94. I couldn't believe it. Untrained dopes.

Thread Information