Thread: Remote Oil Filter ?

Remote Oil Filter ?

I'm going to install a remote oil filter sometime soon. I have the SVO unit from Ford Motorsports. It uses the FL1A filter on the remote mount. The FL1A does not have an anti-drainback valve like the stock one uses, but I believe that should be ok since the filter will be mounted in a vertical configuration that shouldn't drainback anyway. Agree or disagree? I do like the FL1A substitution in that it is larger and provides for more filtration surface area.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by FordNut
    The FL1A does not have an anti-drainback valve like the stock one uses, but I believe that should be ok since the filter will be mounted in a vertical configuration that shouldn't drainback anyway. Agree or disagree?
    Agreed.

However...(you KNEW there'd be a "however"...)

To prevent the lines to and from the remote filter from draining back requires mounting the remote filter at the same height or lower than the filter adapter on the block...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

FordNut / RF Overlord
    Are you sure that the FL1A does not have the anti-drainback valving ?

While that filter fits applications going back to 1957, my understanding was that the anti-drainback valving was SOP ( Standard Operating Procedure ) on all Motorcraft filters.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe
    Are you sure that the FL1A does not have the anti-drainback valving ?

While that filter fits applications going back to 1957, my understanding was that the anti-drainback valving was SOP ( Standard Operating Procedure ) on all Motorcraft filters.
    Just repeating what the service tech told me. Maybe I should have done more research before posting? But since it will be mounted on the frame rail it should be below the OEM filter location so it won't matter in my case anyway.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Just repeating what the service tech told me. Maybe I should have done more research before posting? But since it will be mounted on the frame rail it should be below the OEM filter location so it won't matter in my case anyway.
    According to Motorcraft ... yep it's ( drain-back valving ) in there. Link *Specifically mentions FL1A.

Now who ya gonna believe ?

I'm going to install a remote oil filter sometime soon. I have the SVO unit from Ford Motorsports. It uses the FL1A filter on the remote mount. The FL1A does not have an anti-drainback valve like the stock one uses, but I believe that should be ok since the filter will be mounted in a vertical configuration that shouldn't drainback anyway. Agree or disagree? I do like the FL1A substitution in that it is larger and provides for more filtration surface area.
    We've been using 'em for a while, now, and think the last units were from Summit Racing. Make sure you use the teflon tape on the threads, as instructed, or I guarantee they'll leak. Also, check, and check again to be absolutely sure which are the inlet and outlet lines. You're going to be very pleased with the remote setup. BTW, we use AMSOIL filters exclusively.

Just FYI, the FL-400S is a direct bolt on (I didnt say replacement) fit as the FL-1A and has a SADV, this filter is used on V6 mustangs, V6 Econolines and Vulcan V6 Taurii....Might not have as much filter area as the FL-1A, but does have SADV.....

have you considered using the Relcation kit from a 16V Pre 99 5.4L Navigator? it is located on teh inside of the bumper on the frame and uses an FL-820S
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by wchain
    Just FYI, the FL-400S is a direct bolt on (I didnt say replacement) fit as the FL-1A and has a SADV, this filter is used on V6 mustangs, V6 Econolines and Vulcan V6 Taurii....Might not have as much filter area as the FL-1A, but does have SADV.....

have you considered using the Relcation kit from a 16V Pre 99 5.4L Navigator? it is located on teh inside of the bumper on the frame and uses an FL-820S
    I was wondering about this...I've used Motorcraft FL400S filters on my old Taurus V6 and the box SPECIFICALLY mentions that it has a 'Silicone Anti Drainback Valve'. The Motorcraft FL-1A box says nothing about the 'SADV'....???

Does the FL-1A filter have the SADV??

I'm not too worried about it because my remote oil filter set-up has the filter mounted vertically to hold all the oil in the filter.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    Does the FL-1A filter have the SADV??
    It appears that the FL-1A does indeed have an ADBV, but only the FL-820S and the FL-400S have a silicone ADBV...

A silicone ADBV is not of any great concern on a remote filter application, unless you're going to run extended (over 5,000-mile) change intervals.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

RF Overlord -It appears that the FL-1A does indeed have an ADBV, but only the FL-820S and the FL-400S have a silicone ADBV...
    Just curious but ... What's you source of information for the FL-1A not having a silicone ADBV ?

Since Motorcraft says ( as per the link provided above ) ...

Oil Filters

Engineered specifically for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, each Motorcraft® oil filter, including the popular Motorcraft® FL-1A, uses as many as 12 high-quality components. Construction features include:

- Steel Cases
    "Ironed" for a precise fit, fluted to ease removal and painted for rust-resistance.

- Pressure Relief Valve
    When it's cold outside or if the filter becomes clogged, oil flow through the filter can be reduced. If this happens, the relief valve opens to provide a continuous oil supply. Its design also minimizes the chance of contaminated oil recirculating back into the engine.

- Anti-Drain Back Valve
    This feature keeps oil in the filter to prevent "dry starts" after your engine has been turned off. It's made with specially formulated material that resists the aging effects that an engine's heat can cause.

- Efficient Filter Media
    Re-engineered media increases Motorcraft® filters' dirt-collecting capability, allowing them to capture more engine-harming particles than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmjoe
    Just curious but ... What's you source of information for the FL-1A not having a silicone ADBV ?

Since Motorcraft says ( as per the link provided above ) ...

Oil Filters

Engineered specifically for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, each Motorcraft® oil filter, including the popular Motorcraft® FL-1A, uses as many as 12 high-quality components. Construction features include:

- Steel Cases
    "Ironed" for a precise fit, fluted to ease removal and painted for rust-resistance.

- Pressure Relief Valve
    When it's cold outside or if the filter becomes clogged, oil flow through the filter can be reduced. If this happens, the relief valve opens to provide a continuous oil supply. Its design also minimizes the chance of contaminated oil recirculating back into the engine.

- Anti-Drain Back Valve
    This feature keeps oil in the filter to prevent "dry starts" after your engine has been turned off. It's made with specially formulated material that resists the aging effects that an engine's heat can cause.

- Efficient Filter Media
    Re-engineered media increases Motorcraft® filters' dirt-collecting capability, allowing them to capture more engine-harming particles than ever before.

Doesnt Say silicone ....IIRC the "A" in FL-1A is for the ADV......
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

gdmjoe, I got my info directly from the Motorcraft web site, right below the part you quoted, where it states:

Silicone Valve Oil Filters

Motorcraft® offers specially designed silicone components in the anti-drainback valves for oil filters FL-820S and FL-400S. The silicone valves retain flexibility throughout the life of the filter. This ensures better oil retention in the filter and faster engine start-up lubrication
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

FordNut
    Brian ... You've got mail! *via mercurymarauder.net's Email service.

Cool Remote Oil Filter

If and when possible would like part # and pics so as to try this when it gets a little warmer up here...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Thread Information