Thread: third brake light mod...

Smile third brake light mod...

Those with Marauder spoilers, I know you were breaking your own heart drilling those little holes to put the spoiler on, but here's an idea some of you may or may not like about third brake light.

I've been looking on the install pix of the spoiler on a Silver Vic and there is definitely a void in space.... a missing piece in that opening around the ford logo on the trunk so I figured the best way to fill it is by use of an exterior third brake light.

I'm not sure which one out there would fit the hole best, (haven't researched the designs yet) probably something slim and short similar to those on Impalas (well impala's is a little too long) or something, need to do more research.

Once the third brake light would be moved onto the trunk from the rear dash, what would you guys fill the hole with on the rear dash once that piece is out? Is there like a piece of some audio/stereo equipment that you can put on the rear dash by the window and it will improve the sound quality of your system, or what? I mean the hole is already there, maybe a sub can fit or a couple of tweeters?

I'm just contemplating this idea for my Vic when it gets a spoiler. I've done some drilling in my previous trunks like my first 1992 got a spoiler, and on my 1996 I did a Ford oval mod where I took an opening keyhole ford oval from a 1991 Vic and put it over the keyhole on my Vic, it was awesome, here's a pic:

there really is nothing to it, Vic trunks are made of slim metal that can be cut/drilled thru easily.

What do you guys think?

--Russ

Russ, are you talking about moving the third brake light to the "space" in the middle of the spoiler, that kind of surrounds the trunk emblem? Personally, I wouldn't; the whole purpose of the 3rd light, referred to in the bow-tie world as the HMSL (high-mounted stop light), is to put it higher than the rear ones, for better visibility, especially from a few cars back. I admit it would look kind of cool there, but if anything it should be mounted at the TOP of the back window, not at the bottom as it now is...

Just my 0.03 (inflation)
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Leave em both on. Then when somebody runs into you because they said they didn't know you were stopping, you can punch them twice!
    Black 03MM-A Bought 8/26/02 Built 6/ 21/02 -SOLD
    IMOA MV1, MV2

2008 Lincoln Mark LT, loaded

yea thats it... RF...

I like the idea of top brake light like in a Town Car, but on the Vic/monkey or marauder it would compromise rear passenger head space... I wouldn't wanna rub against hot brake light mount if I'm sitting in a back seat of someone's marauder....

In this case, the emblem cutout on the actual spoiler is unnecessary so to fix what Ford screwed up on I'd put a light there, quite useful at the same time. and now you can tint your rear window completely without worrying about the brake light visibility cause you're removing it.

--Russ

Gary (Chapel1) mentioned this to me laste last year, and again at our first Chicagoland meet, when we all could eyeball the vacancy you speak of. I think this would be a neat place to add a fourth third brake light, but I cannot see removing the third third brake light. Get a nice 1X3 LED panel, mold it into place with black out trim, and no one should miss the fact that you're slowing down. No one sober that is. Neat idea, thanks Jersey, and thanks Gary!

Thread Information