Thread: Where Is Transmission Cooler?

Where Is Transmission Cooler?

Where is the Transmission Cooler on the Marauder?

On my Continental, it sits in the air stream forward of the Radiator and A/C Condenser. In a 94 T-Bird I had, it was in the (side mount) Radiator, flowing in from the bottom and out the top. In the Sebring I had, it was the top five rows of the condenser unit, with everything under the top five rows being A/C Condenser.

Because I tow every once in a while, I want an extra cooler. If it is in the radiator, is the outlet at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcbob

On my Continental, it sits in the air stream forward of the Radiator and A/C Condenser. In a 94 T-Bird I had, it was in the (side mount) Radiator, flowing in from the bottom and out the top. In the Sebring I had, it was the top five rows of the condenser unit, with everything under the top five rows being A/C Condenser.

Because I tow every once in a while, I want an extra cooler. If it is in the radiator, is the outlet at the top?

From the service manual:

The transmission fluid cooler is an oil-to-air fluid cooler with a thermostatic bypass valve. The fluid cooler is mounted between the radiator and the condenser.
    • When the transmission fluid is cold and the thermostatic valve is closed, the transmission fluid does not circulate through the fluid cooler.
    • As the transmission fluid temperature increases, the thermostatic bypass valve opens and allows the transmission fluid to circulate through the fluid cooler.
    2004 DTR
    Born on 5/31/04
    Adopted 11/13/04

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcbob

I mounted an extra / aftermarket trans cooler in front of the radiator (I don't plan on doing any towing). I have it plumbed so the tranny fluid comes out of the stock cooler, thru the aftermarket cooler, back to the trans. This way the trans will reach it's operating temp. sooner. I was going to make some nice brackets to mount it but I ended up using some black HD nylon tie straps to mount it to the plastic cross pieces in front of the radiator.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

OK. Good information. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc
    I mounted an extra / aftermarket trans cooler in front of the radiator (I don't plan on doing any towing). I have it plumbed so the tranny fluid comes out of the stock cooler, thru the aftermarket cooler, back to the trans. This way the trans will reach it's operating temp. sooner. I was going to make some nice brackets to mount it but I ended up using some black HD nylon tie straps to mount it to the plastic cross pieces in front of the radiator.
    It will take much longer to reach operating temp the way you set it up.
    If you are concerned about the operating temperature of the trans and you are not towing, the factory cooler is more than adequate because it is independent of the radiator.
    I see that you dont even have a stall converter, so a cooler is REALLY not necessary.
    Before I installed my cooler, My temps never went above 180, even with a 3000 stall.
    The factory cooler is way more efficient than everyone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Before I installed my cooler, My temps never went above 180, even with a 3000 stall.
    The factory cooler is way more efficient than everyone thinks.
    So an aux trans cooler isn' needed with the 3000 stall? Good to know, I always felt like I might be pushing my luck.

schuvwj Guest

Trany Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by DTR04
    From the service manual:

• When the transmission fluid is cold and the thermostatic valve is closed, the transmission fluid does not circulate through the fluid cooler.
    • As the transmission fluid temperature increases, the thermostatic bypass valve opens and allows the transmission fluid to circulate through the fluid cooler.

DTR04 we have a trany cooler thermostatic bypass valve!
    Is there a bypass that allows the oil to flow back to the trany when the valve is closed or does the thermostatic bypass valve have to open before oil is allowed to circulate back to the trany?
    Where is the valve located?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HwyCruiser
    So an aux trans cooler isn' needed with the 3000 stall? Good to know, I always felt like I might be pushing my luck.
    It depends on the ambient temperatures wnere you live. With a 3K stall, 100+ summer days and a fairly heavy foot I was seeing temps of 215 before I installed my aftermarket cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by schuvwj
    DTR04 we have a trany cooler thermostatic bypass valve!
    Is there a bypass that allows the oil to flow back to the trany when the valve is closed or does the thermostatic bypass valve have to open before oil is allowed to circulate back to the trany?
    Where is the valve located?

Thanks!
    I believe the bypass valve is in the cooler. It should bypass the cooler until the fluid reaches a certain temperature.
    2004 DTR
    Born on 5/31/04
    Adopted 11/13/04

Thread Information