Thread: stage 1 complete

Talking stage 1 complete

Well I finally finished my “Stage 1” on my Marauder; Reinhart’s performance chip, plugs, thermostat, K&N filtercharger, and the 4.10 gears. I know there are a lot of readers here still trying to decide on what they want to do to their Marauders so fortunately for them (not quite so from my point of view) I had to do each of these steps about a week apart due to my schedule. So here is my opinion on each of these things as they went in to my baby. And since this is my daily driver I can pretty well tell if there was a change in how she felt.

First, the K&N filter. I swear by these things, and I added this at the same time I took Cycled and LinkMercLover’s advice and removed the silencer from the intake. The sound change alone here is worth this cheep upgrade and there is a noticeable change in the car’s pickup but nothing compared to the later upgrades.

Second, Reinhart’s chip. While it was rather nerve-racking to pull the computer out of my car Logan’s directions were perfect and this chip is amazing. This bad boy completely changes the feel of the car and has a huge impact in how she handles and shifts. (it even sounds different but I don’t understand why) I cannot stress enough that if you have a Marauder call Dennis and get this chip.

Third, the Plugs and Thermostat. This change had the least noticeable effect but mind you we’ve had a local high of about 40 degrees. While I may never notice now that the other parts are all in, I do feel that this mod will be of the best use in the summer or for those who live further from the artic circle.

Finally the 4.10 gears. This change flat out tricked me. I picked my car up after spending a day and a half on a rental Chevy Metro (I’m cheap ok) and took the highway back from the shop, and I was not impressed. The throttle felt “loose” and the car just didn’t have the get up and go I was used to. Until I realized I was already doing twice the legal speed limit. But it wasn’t until my first stop light did I see what she can really do, give her the RPM’s she’s asking for and this car will move! This is a great modification; it gives you more power off the line than I thought was possible and still is great for highway driving.

Overall I’d recommend calling Dennis and getting the whole lot, it’s more than worth it. But if money or warranty issues are a concern, the chip is still an absolute must have. Just get it you will not regret it.

Sorry this got long guys but I see a lot of questions from guys about what each step does, hopefully this answers some questions.
    Brian Fair
    --2003 Mercury Marauder (300A)
    Factory Spoiler
    Pre-Production Tips
    Reinhart Performance Chip
    Plugs & Thermostat
    4.10 Gears
    K&N Filtercharger

Great sysopsis, Brian, thanks for summing it all up. Now, on to Stage 2, which I will begin as soon as some of the east coast snow melts, and my parts get in. Come on Spring!

Originally posted by SergntMac
    Now, on to Stage 2, which I will begin as soon as some of the east coast snow melts, and my parts get in. Come on Spring!
    To answer everyone's question, Sarge has been working closely with Zefram Cochrane, the inventor of the Warp Drive, and is using his personal Marauder as the test vehicle. I know this because my wife had a ride in Sarge's car last week, and actually arrived home before she left...

The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

ROTFLMAO!

You are too much!

WolfeBros Guest
    ahhhhhhhh ...that explains why he has been hoarding dilithium crystals !

RF......you are the master. We all await our turn to try and snatch the pebble from your hand.

I am not worthy......I am not worthy

What is the K&N part#?
    I am doing the gears next month...would you put the gears on the same level as the chip in terms of acceleration???

PROCHARGER SUPERCHARGER FROM F.I.T. # 007
    18psi pulley
    MMR built Stroker 5.0+.020 overbore
    Forged Crank/Manley Rods/Manley Pistons
    Billet Oil Pump
    ARP Bolts and head studs
    Snow Methanol Injection
    3500 Stall Converter (PI)
    Stryker 340 Fuel Pump
    45 lbs Injectors
    4:10 gears
    K&N Air Filter
    Factory Spoiler
    Widened Wheels
    Nittos
    170 deg thermostat
    SS Inserts
    Daniel's Colex Billet Supercharged Emblems front and rear
    Trunk organizer

K&N 33-2012 I believe....
    2017 Niro

What shop did you finally find to put the 4:10's in.
    '03 Mercury Marauder Born 8/02 Adopted 9/02
    Vortech Supercharger w/ WA intercooler
    Race prepped block
    Cobra block
    CP Pistons
    Manley Forged H-Beam rods
    Billet oil pump gears
    Stud Girdle (Its pretty)
    MMDS Drive Shaft, Metco Contrl Arms, Metco Watts Link, X-CAL2
    Meziere Ele. Water pump
    Addco Rear sway bar, Addco front sway bar
    PI 3000 stall torque converter
    4:10 Ford Racing gears, Ford Racing Rear end Girdle
    Rear engine cooling kit
    A-piller gauges- boost and fuel pressure
    KVR custome Brake KIt - RED
    Cobra exhaust manifold with X-pipe
    Level II tranmission kit
    180 STAT.
    Art Carr deep Tranmission kit,Tranmission cooler
    KVR stainless steel brake lines
    High preformance Twin cobra fuel pump, Reinhart HP fuel Filter
    Bob White decals on side mirror, side windows & bumper inserts,
    Splash Gaurds, KB Dead Pedal
    Eaton Diff. Mos. 31 spline axles

Cruztaker is right, the K&N filter number 33-2012.

Overall the gears effect the acceleration far more then the chip does, but you have to keep in mind Reinhart's chip is adding horsepower to the whole powerband while the gears are really giving up top-end power to boost the low end. But really how many times do you hit top speed compared to hitting stoplights.

And for those of us in the Twin Cities I had the gears done by called a company called Proven Force Clutch and U-Joint. I work in insurance and they came highly recommended by every body shop we work with. I belive that they have 3 locations in the cities area, personaly I went to the one in Little Canada.

Brian Fair
    --2003 Mercury Marauder (300A)
    Factory Spoiler
    Pre-Production Tips
    Reinhart Performance Chip
    Plugs & Thermostat
    4.10 Gears
    K&N Filtercharger

Thanks for the local scoop

I am glad someone in town has the guts to do the needed modifications...

My first new car and I seem to be warranty paranoid. I am sure I will get over it

jta

2003 Marauder 300A
    --76 of 7838 208 of 7839
    --Born on 5/27/02
    --4:10 gears
    --SCT9100 Tuner (Lidio's Tune)
    --BFG KDW2 Tires (235/50 front; 255/55 rear)
    --12C spark plugs
    --Granatelli Connectors
    --Pro-Guard
    1976 Eldorado Convertible For Sale
    In line for a 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT

Thread Information