Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Oil Pressure Gauge Question.

Fake Oil Pressure Gauge Question.

OK guys. I know the "Feel Good" Oil Pressure Gauge is a fake. I did a search of past posts and between them, and watching what my gauge does, I know it gives fake readings.

What I want to know is:
    1. How is this fake gauge wired up?
    2. With ignition on, but engine off, gauge shows zero.
    3. Start engine and gauge goes up to it's normal position.
    4. If I had engine on, then stalled engine, would the gauge still show pressure?
    5. Is the gauge reading something on the engine to know it must show a fake pressure while engine is running but no pressure with ignition on but engine not running?
    6. If you had an oil pump failure (very rare) or lost oil pressure for any reason, what would this fake gauge read? Would it still read normal or drop to zero? Also note that there is not even a low pressure warning lamp.

You would think that for the cost of installing the fake gauge, for the same money, they could have installed a real gauge.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I could not find answers by doing a search.

King Fubar Guest

Please correct me if I'm wrong

The fake gauge is conected to a sending unit that is basically a pressure switch. What I mean is that the sending unit has a solid diaphram on it taht is activated with about 6 lbs. of pressure. The gauge guts I'm not sure about all I know is you have to change the guts from a real one for it to work and put in the sending unit for the real one.

So basically if your car stalls or is not pumping oil you have no pressure and your gauge don't work.

The gauge is connected to a sensor and is listed as a piece of functional indication of oil pressure. Albeit I believe it's just an indicator of adequate pressure vs. no pressure.

It is a slow gauge, so if you had a momentary lapse in pressure - you might not ever see it drop on the gauge. Watch it when you shut the car off.

What question I'd like to add to your list is what is the output range of the sender vs. pressure? Is it linear in any range? Or is it the same sender that would be attached to a light - a pressure switch? - edit I guess my question has been answered as I wrote it.
    Last edited by Shaft333; 03-23-2005 at 11:59 AM.

The OEM oil pressure gauge is a fake. As King Fubar said, as long as you have more than ~6 lbs of pressure, the switch (it's not a sender) closes and you get a "normal" reading on the gauge, which is around 60 lbs, IIRC. There is a detailed write-up about how to convert the stock fake gauge to a real working one in the FAQ.

You would think that for the cost of installing the fake gauge, for the same money, they could have installed a real gauge.
    You're right...the correct AutoMeter replacement gauge and sender kit is only about $55 from Summit or Jeg's. The problem is that Ford hasn't put a real functioning oil pressure gauge in any car they've sold since at least 1990. Their reasoning is that they were tired of having people complain to the dealer that something was wrong with their motor because the oil pressure kept varying (D'OH!)...so Ford's absolutely brilliant response was to install oil pressure monitoring that ALWAYS reads perfect pressure. What a lame cop-out, Ford...
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 03-23-2005 at 03:07 PM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I can actually understand the decision.
    Working in this industry AND hearing the stories about the general masses based on stories from my fiancee (who has to deal with them)... it's better this way for Ford.

If anything it would be nice if Ford offered a replacement kit that would match the volt gage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaft333
    If anything it would be nice if Ford offered a replacement kit that would match the volt gage.
    The replacement AutoMeter gauge kit (P/N 4327) is an almost exact match...most people will not be able to tell the difference in the daylight. The major difference is that the OEM gauges are green back-lit, while the replacement uses perimeter lighting. Some members have swapped face-plates between the old and new gauges, so they end up with a real working gauge that IS an exact match to the voltmeter. I actually find that the replacement gauge is more legible in the daylight than the stock one was.

BTW, it's only the oil pressure gauge that's fake...the OEM voltmeter does actually work, but replacing it with the aftermarket AutoMeter version keeps the two gauges matched...and it's only $35 from Summit...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    The problem is that Ford hasn't put a real functioning oil pressure gauge in any car they've sold since at least 1990. Their reasoning is that they were tired of having people complain to the dealer that something was wrong with their motor because the oil pressure kept varying (D'OH!)...
    What?...HUH?....People ACTUALLY LOOK at the gauges!??

I feel that looking at the gauges is VERY distracting to the driver.......
    I mean they are already busy with the cell phone, DVD player, newspaper, make-up mirror and occasionally even the road ahead!
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Thanks for all the replys. I printed out the instructions for the modification (plus other modifications) and when the time comes that I have time, I will do the mod.

Great site. Great information. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcbob

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I could not find answers by doing a search.
    I'm glad you asked, Bob, because I was gonna go and do the same search., 'cause it's way past time to swap it out. Just looking at that stupid thing pisses me off; y'know? Heaven forbid, anyone would actually want to know if their high dollar, super sophisticated engine was functioning properly.

King Fubar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poore
    Heaven forbid, anyone would actually want to know if their high dollar, super sophisticated engine was functioning properly.
    You should know by now Mike, it makes TOO MUCH sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    What?...HUH?....People ACTUALLY LOOK at the gauges!??

I feel that looking at the gauges is VERY distracting to the driver.......
    I mean they are already busy with the cell phone, DVD player, newspaper, make-up mirror and occasionally even the road ahead!
    You forgot - eating, drinking, looking at the person in the passenger seat that they are talking to....everything but keeping an eye on the road.
    2004 DTR Marauder
    Light Flint Interior
    Heated Seats
    Factory Moonroof
    SS Inserts, 6 Disc Changer, Trunk Org., Declikd Designs Decklid Liner, Spoiler

2005 Ford Escape V-6

1966 Mustang coupe 351 Cleveland 4bbl

--Charlie Reinhardt
    V.P. Mustang Club of Mid-Michigan (06-08)

The OEM oil pressure gauge is a fake. As King Fubar said, as long as you have more than ~6 lbs of pressure, the switch (it's not a sender) closes and you get a "normal" reading on the gauge, which is around 60 lbs, IIRC. There is a detailed write-up about how to convert the stock fake gauge to a real working one in the FAQ.

You're right...the correct AutoMeter replacement gauge and sender kit is only about $55 from Summit or Jeg's. The problem is that Ford hasn't put a real functioning oil pressure gauge in any car they've sold since at least 1990. Their reasoning is that they were tired of having people complain to the dealer that something was wrong with their motor because the oil pressure kept varying (D'OH!)...so Ford's absolutely brilliant response was to install oil pressure monitoring that ALWAYS reads perfect pressure. What a lame cop-out, Ford...
    Any thought on this? http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post779210
    In this link the vic guys talk about shorting a 20 ohm resistor Ford puts in the gauge to make it work with a sending unit. Anyone with a stock gauge that can look to see if there is this 20 ohm resistor on the circuit board?
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

BTW, it's only the oil pressure gauge that's fake...the OEM voltmeter does actually work, but replacing it with the aftermarket AutoMeter version keeps the two gauges matched...and it's only $35 from Summit...

The OEM Volmeter is not accurate at all.
    It can read anywhere from 1 - 1.5 volts LESS than what the actual charging system is producing.
    You are better off replacing BOTH of them.
    It is so easy to do.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCars4Ever
    the vic guys talk about shorting a 20 ohm resistor Ford puts in the gauge to make it work with a sending unit. Anyone with a stock gauge that can look to see if there is this 20 ohm resistor on the circuit board?
    That mod only works for the in-dash oil gauge that the CV and GM have...our oil pressure gauge was custom made by AutoMeter to Ford's specs and is not modifiable (is there such a word?) in this manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by MENINBLK
    The OEM Volmeter is not accurate at all.
    It can read anywhere from 1 - 1.5 volts LESS than what the actual charging system is producing.
    I guess I must have been lucky, then...mine reads accurately.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Had no idea it was a bogus guage til I read it here. What a dumb idea from Ford.
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information