Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of Panther platform?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)

End of Panther platform?

From Autoweek

Ford to reduce number of North American vehicle platforms; cost-cutting, market speed efforts cited

Ford Motor Co. plans to trim the number of North American vehicle platforms from 16 to 12 in the next seven years. The reduction is part of sweeping changes to the automaker's product development organization that aim to cut costs and speed products to market.

The company also plans to cut powertrain combinations by an undetermined amount and shrink product development times about 25 percent, says Phil Martens, Ford vice president of vehicle product development and engineering. He has a new title under the Ford reorganization.

New vehicles take 18 months to 27 months from design freeze to introduction, Martens says. "We have to get down to the neighborhood of 14 to 22 months."

Product plans are fairly set into 2006, so vehicles developed under those faster times should start to appear in mid-2006 or later, he says.

Martens, 42, joined Ford more than 15 years ago as an engineer and rose steadily through the ranks of product development and engineering in the United States and Europe. He joined Ford's Japanese affiliate, Mazda Motor Corp., in 1999 and led its product planning efforts before returning to Ford in North America in 2002.

Fewer platforms cut costs because the company achieves greater economies of scale on high-volume platforms. But it also means Ford must develop so-called flexible platforms that can carry various models, such as sedans, coupes, wagons and others.

With that flexibility and by working with suppliers to share more components, Ford can reduce North American product development costs 10 percent annually, Martens thinks. He didn't provide figures for current spending and expected savings, but he did say that Mazda reached annual cost reductions of more than 20 percent through similar means.

The new approach in North America in part is modeled after Mazda's efforts. Ford North America is behind both Mazda and Ford of Europe in product development speed and use of more flexible platforms with common components, Martens says.

Ford will move to four platform groups to develop sets of similar vehicles, rather than the five brand-oriented groups used previously. The previous group themes were Tough Trucks; Outfitters; Family; Lifestyle and Youth; and Lincoln Mercury.

The changes, made Wednesday, Feb. 19, cap a year of adjustments to Ford's North American product development organization. No job cuts are planned, though the changes do mean new positions for some of Ford's 14,000 North American product development employees.

Says Martens: "The aim here is quite simple: it's to increase our productivity, and the goal is to get products sooner."

Could be the end with mazda (oh yuck) training back ground the new guy has had...maybe they can bring on Meo or maybe Maturn or some other am-jap cross...like GM
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Some of the "Platforms" to go are the current Mustang, and the Taurus/Sable. Both are going to the DEW platform used by Mazda 6 and T-Bird. I think it will also be used in the new MiniVan, and possable the escape.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Mazda 6, rented one...would have rather have rode a fast wheelbarrow... uncomfortable is a understatement...we be a dieing breed...
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

derek77 Guest
    So, this sound like a good chance the Ford Fairlane/LTD will come over from the big pond. Makes since to me. It's all about the bottom dollar. And those car could bring in some money for Ford.

Before I keep going on and on, is the Australian Fairlane/LTD on the panther platform? I couldn't find out anywhere.

Originally posted by derek77
    So, this sound like a good chance the Ford Fairlane/LTD will come over from the big pond. Makes since to me. It's all about the bottom dollar. And those car could bring in some money for Ford.

Before I keep going on and on, is the Australian Fairlane/LTD on the panther platform? I couldn't find out anywhere.
    I'd love to see some Fords from down under show up on our shores. I think I remember reading somewhere that Aussie Fords are unique and share little with their North American cousins. In other words, No.
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

derek77 Guest
    Well in that case, I see a shared global platform with Australia, the Mid-East, and Europe. Damn, I hope I'm right.

mtnh Guest
    Only good things will happen if the panther lineup starts building on the DEW platform. You get to keep rear wheel drive while gaining independent rear suspension, passive 4-wheel steering, a superb handling package with the focus on a close to 50/50 weight distribution front/rear. All good stuff! If you've driven a Lincoln LS, you've experienced the DEW98 platform.

Mike
    2003 MM
    2000 LS6M

My sister has a 2001 LS, and it is smooth on the highway, and pretty damn quick. But I can't see a body like my MM's fitting on this frame, much less doing WELL on this frame...

The LS is nice, but still too small for my tastes. I can frequently feel my hair brush the headliner...

Originally posted by mtnh
    Only good things will happen if the panther lineup starts building on the DEW platform. You get to keep rear wheel drive while gaining independent rear suspension, passive 4-wheel steering, a superb handling package with the focus on a close to 50/50 weight distribution front/rear. All good stuff! If you've driven a Lincoln LS, you've experienced the DEW98 platform.

Mike
    2003 MM
    2000 LS6M
    Hi Mike:

In all fairness I have a friend with an Lincoln LS and IMHO opinion a great car for those under 6 ft. LOL I fit but found it hard to get comfortable. I have found my Marauder to be a great fit, in fact the seats are far superior to the '01 CV LX Sport that the Marauder replaced. I attempted to find a comfort level in a new T-bird at the dealer and that wasn't happening either. What will tall/big people like myself do once they downsize all the sedans? Step "up" to a large SUV? I think not!

Best,

Paul
    "In judging others, folks will work overtime for no pay"

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Originally posted by mtnh

Mike
    2003 MM
    2000 LS6M
    I have driven the Lincoln LS V8 with sport handling, and quite frankly, the 2003 Panther handles just as well, if not better, and is far more comfortable.

The weight ratio of the Panthers is already close to 50/50. It may even be closer than the Lincoln LS is

It may be nice if Ford brings the Australian Falcon here. They are however not a good replacement for the Panther.
    Hopefully Ford will keep the Panther and keep refining the Platform. Probably the biggest mistake they made for 2003 after all the suspension changes was not giving the body a few more distinctive changes.
    Ford is just too concentrated on their Truck line
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Originally posted by RCSignals
    I have driven the Lincoln LS V8 with sport handling, and quite frankly, the 2003 Panther handles just as well, if not better

UHHHH..................., NO!

Keyword: "HANDLES"
    2017 Niro

mtnh Guest
    Points well taken. However, I wasn't saying that the LS car body was going to replace the panther bodies, just that with multiple uses for a similar platform, the underlying platform is going to bring these cars up in terms of modernization. The 2004 Mustang is going to a DEW platform, no? Heck, look at the original minivans, they shared the same platform as a K-Car, yet the people tube was as different as could be. I don't see a problem with being able to make a town car or a vic out of a new platform, preserving all of the creature comforts for our 5-XL -sized crowd that really needs the space. :^) And you're right, the handle on the MM is close to the LS. Somehow, however, the LS feels alot more predictable in a 4-wheel drift. Plus, the seats of an LS hold you in place alot more firmly than the MM, and if you have room between your hips and the door and console, it's hard not to have a little bit of your own drifting going on in the seats. (of the MM) Again, the MM seems designed for a more "robust" clientele. Getting back on track here, I am positive that the interior space of a panther car could be had on a DEW platform.

Mike

WolfeBros Guest
    I drove the Lincoln LS V8 for three years before I bought the Marauder.
    It is a nice car but boring. It sits lower, has almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution and handles good. The Marauder for its size handles extremely well and still gives a civilized ride. They are too far apart to compare.......apples & oranges, but if you insist. Bang for the buck, power, room, handling, trunk space, interior room, interior storage and muscle car feel. You can't beat the MM. At least today anyway. The Marauder feels alive when you drive it. It gets plenty of looks and stares and is pretty well mannered considering its weight. The Marauder is definitely not boring to drive. I felt that the LS while a good car was still boring. IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information