Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission cooler?

MMpridenjoy Guest

Transmission cooler?

Looking for some advice on transmission coolers. From what I am reading, these are a very nice investment. Most claim to lower the trans fluid by 20 degrees. This in turn doubles the life of the transmission. Does anyone have experience on these or any advice? I have looking into the B&M supercoolers. Any response appreciated.

MMPJ, Good question, trans guy who rebuilt my 92 Linc AOD said temp and trans shifting in and out of OD are the biggest tranny killers. I live in the mountains and OD shifting is what got mine. Run w/OD off when not needed. Someone answer this one...and does dealers offer a cooler?
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

derek77 Guest
    I have some advice, DO IT!!!! I would just run a Summit or Jegs brand cool, but that's up to you. There are are a few ways to install them. Some people run them to the radiator, then to the cooler its self. I prefer to run it straight to the cooler it self. Be sure to use transmission line and not vac*** line. Also, you might want to look into getting a trans. temp. gauge.

Marauder already has

Transmission cooler at forward bottom of Radiator. Look into coolers that are bigger than the one you already have and can install using original plumbing.
    Bill
    03 Mercury Marauder, 300A
    SOLD
    2005 Lincoln Town Car, ADTR Supercharger, TCE Brake Lines, MO's Tune
    2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve AWD

Seems like someone on here has one off of a Police Interceptor on their car, but I don't know who. Seems like a great idea to me. The factory water to oil cooler is nice, but I'd like to see an air-to-oil cooler as well. My 89 Coprice had both an air to oil tranny cooler and the water to oil one in the radiator tank, plus it had and air to oil engine oil cooler. Very nice!
    '03 MM (original owner)
    '88 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (For Sale)
    '84 Porsche 911 M491
    '90 325i track day special
    '11 Airstream Interstate
    '99 F350 PSD
    '70 K20
    '10 Range Rover (wife's driver)

Has anyone examined or evaluated the OEM MM cooler?

This is beginning to sound like the "drive shaft" issue, where the general advice was "throw it out, OEM stuff has got to be bad," and at least in my case, it was not. How about one of us MM owners take a peek at the OEM cooler, see what's up before tearing stuff out and replacing it with (maybe) less performing replacements?

I do agree with adding a trans temp gauge though, overheating will destory any trans, and I would presume that the nature of the MM will invite more spirited driving.

The MM was a ground up design using the best of in-house FMC performance parts, let's see what LM installed?
    Last edited by SergntMac; 03-12-2003 at 06:21 AM.

MMpridenjoy Guest
    Sounds like the sarge is making sense.

derek77 Guest
    If memory serves correct, doesn't the cooler have just one bend in it? What I mean is, doesn't the fuild come in the cooler and make one turn and come back out? I can't remember.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Sarge is right. The MM has a good trans oil cooler. In fact I think it's the same as used on the Police Interceptor

Here is one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2405989787
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Originally posted by SergntMac
    Has anyone examined or evaluated the OEM MM cooler?....
    ........see what's up before tearing stuff out and replacing it with (maybe) less performing replacements?
    I am glad you said it. I didn't have the b*lls. Every motorhead I spoke to just looked at me and said........WHY?

If you are not towing a boat or a house, whats the point?
    2017 Niro

derek77 Guest
    Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
    If you are not towing a boat or a house, whats the point?
    Because heat is the #1 killer of transmissions. And anyone who owns a vehicle with an AOD trans in it needs to do something to prolong the life of his or her transmission. I think in this case it is safe to say bigger is better. I can't see over cooling a transmission.

Just for reference purposes, I got this response from TCI Automotive's Tech Support:

"Actually we recommend if you are going to use an external cooler to use it only and by pass the radiator. Because , the temp of the coolant in the radiator is usually about 200 degrees,. this means the tranny fluid will never be able to get below that when run the radiator. By going external it has a better chance of cooling. If you want to retain the radiator and external go through the rad. then the external as the external will allow the fluid to cool more than the rad as explained above."
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

You may want to look at the stock cooler.
    Look BETWEEN the stock cooler and AC condensor,hinding in there is the stock trans cooler.
    Our cooler does not go into the radiator.
    I don't know how far down it goes but it does run almost the full width of the radiator.

Diocles Guest
    My experience with the SS on the road courses taught me the stock transmission cooler (part of the radiator as well) was sufficient. What became a huge problem was the power steering fluid. As I will be road racing, my soon to be MM, I will definitely investigate the ps cooler.

Also if you do plan to race always have fresh brake fluid and power steering fluid. Age just kills the heat resistance in these fluids.

looking97233 Guest
    Kenny Brown puts a thermaly controled aux. cooler on the marauder s. It is only used when the stock cooler cannot keep up. I don't know if they are selling this unit alone or not, but if someone is really interested, you could call them and ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information