Thread: Another overdrive post.

Another overdrive post.

Well I just read through most of the recent posts about transmission and overdrive problems and I just wanted to add this post to see if anyone else has experienced this same thing happening....

...was driving home the other day around 60mph and noticed the rpm's were too high, like 2800 or so. Then I realized my tranny wasn't in overdrive even though I was in Drive. I pulled over, put the car in Park then back into Drive, took off and the car was fine. I might have driven 2 miles or so before I noticed this since my stereo was up pretty loud. Is this the first sign of a huge problem or just a coincidence? My MM has 25k on it.

Thanks,
    Brian

Did you have the OD button on the stick shift off

Master Chief, United States Navy, Retired
    2004MM, Black, Built 02/14/04
    32 Ford 5 Window Highboy (I Built)
    Cover Truck (56 Big Window Chevy)Truckin Mag. Featured in Street Rodder Mag (48 Custom Panel), Shown in Rod n Custom, Featured in Goodguys Gazette (38 Ford Coupe) and on Cover.

My transmission did strange things one time, when I used the "2" position. After using that 2nd gear position, even though I was back in drive, transmission was searching between 3rd and 4th (OD), and would not stay in one or the other. To correct it, I came to a stop, put car in Park. Shut off the ignition for about ten seconds. Started car and drove off in D. Have not had the problem since. Because of this, I will not manually put car in 2nd gear position anymore.

Only thing that ever happened to me was one day going up a steep hill I turned off O/D and hammered it. O/D light started flashing and was basicly inop after I tried to turn it back on. Pulled over and the light was still flashing until I turned the car off. Started again and all was well. Any ideas on this one guys?
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Your problem sounds like a misadjusted shifter cable IF it happens again,without pushing any bottons grab the shifter and wiggle it in the drive detent if it shifts you know the cable is misadjusted.

Check the wiring harness against the firewall and make sure its not chafed/cut into the metal crimp on the body.
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. It sounds like nothing to be seriously worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by USN_Lifer
    Thanks for all of the feedback so far. It sounds like nothing to be seriously worried about.

Yea we're just trying to give you a warm fuzzy before we tell you what it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone03
    Yea we're just trying to give you a warm fuzzy before we tell you what it really is.

I thought so

Thread Information