Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top cars: men vs. women

Top cars: men vs. women

When it comes to cars, it's easy to figure out what men are after. It's women who are complicated.
    June 7, 2005; Posted: 1:17 p.m. EDT (1717 GMT)

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A look at marketing data showing which cars men prefer and which ones women like revealed something I'd long suspected.

While men may, indeed, be from Mars, women are from someplace much more complex and difficult to figure out. Maybe Boston.

The figures, supplied by NOP World, a market research firm, show specific car models and an index number representing how many men -- or women -- intend to buy that car and no other compared to the percentage of their gender-mates who intend to buy the average car.

In other words, these are cars that seem to sell most disproportionately to just one sex or the other.

The most striking thing about NOP's data is how easy it is to figure out what guys want.

The Porsche 911 -- the most overwhelmingly male passenger car -- has an "Index Male to Total" of 214.3, for example. That's more than double the average. The car's "Index Female to Total," on the other hand, is just 14.3.

It's surprising the 911 doesn't grow hair on its hood and eat Krispy Kreme for breakfast.

Other cars at the top of the masculinity dial include the exotic Ford GT supercar, Maserati Spyder, Jaguar XK8 sports car and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

You get the idea: If it's very fast, awfully fast, terribly fast or way, way too fast, guys like it. Also, they tend to be expensive.

The one common trait among cars that women like is that they are not expensive.

The most womanly car, with a "Female" index of 200, is the yet-unreleased Pontiac G6 convertible. (You go, Oprah! Plus, it's a convertible.)

Actually, the G6 has a wide lead in the "girl car" category. The closest other passenger cars are the Suzuki Forenza with an index of 150 and the Volkswagen New Beetle with an index of 147.6.

How do women decide which cars to buy?

"If you picture a fraction with cost as the numerator then, as the denominator, you have things like reliability, performance..." said Doug Scott, NOP World's automotive analyst.

He went on with a long list of factors.

To sum it up, women add up the good things, subtract the bad things, then compare the result with the cost of the car. Then they think carefully about the result.

Men, it seems, just add stuff up then wonder if they can afford it without having to switch to domestic beer.

If a typical male mind -- take mine, since I'm evidently not doing much with it -- were expanded to the size of the United States of America, that portion of the mind dedicated to responding to the word "enough" would be the size of a bumper pool table in a New Jersey bar.

That portion of the brain dedicated to responding to the word "more," on the other hand, would occupy everything west of the Rockies, including Hawaii and the territories of American Samoa and Guam.

That is why the Mustang GT has four headlights. Not because men want more headlights, but because those two extra headlights -- Ford calls them "fog lights" but, really, they're headlights -- are only available on the V8-powered Mustang GT.

The male driver of a V6-powered Mustang, with its 210-horsepower engine, clearly has "enough" power. Probably more than enough.

But when stopped at a red light next to a four-lighted 300-horsepower Mustang GT it is immediately obvious to everyone that the other driver has "more."

This is the same reason that Dodge has greatly increased the size of the "Hemi" badge on its cars for the 2006 model year. The larger badge makes it very easy to see, at some distance, who has "more."

Dodge has stated outright that it designs and markets cars for men. So it has given us the Dodge Magnum, a muscle-car station wagon. It has also given us the new Dodge Charger, a muscle-car family sedan with four doors, roomy back seats and a nice trunk.

Clever, those Dodge boys. Clearly, they understand that, even though they are marketing cars to men, most men don't just go out and buy cars on their own. They still have to get the thumbs-up from someone else. Someone who knows what a "numerator" is and how to use it.

Women. Always making stuff complicated.

Top 10 cars for men

1. Porsche 911 coupe, $70,095 - $193,765

2. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, $28,504 - $35,274

3. Ford GT, $143,345

4. Volkswagen Phaeton, $68,905 - $104,455

5. BMW 6-series convertible, $76,900

6. Jaguar XK8 coupe, $69,830

7. Maserati Spyder, $92,302 - $96,465

8. Mercedes CL, $96,720 - $132,320

9. BMW 6-series coupe, $69,900

10. Porsche 911 convertible, $79,895 - $141,995

Top 10 cars for women

1. Pontiac G6 convertible, (Not yet available)

2. Suzuki Forenza, $13,994 - $18,494

3. Volkswagen New Beetle convertible, $22,940 - $27,100

4. Volkswagen New Beetle, $17,185 - $27,100

5. Pontiac Sunfire coupe, $11,460 - $15,770

6. Volvo XC70, $36,080

7. Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible, $25,744 - $31,544

8. Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible, $20,045 - $29,120

9. Kia Rio sedan, $10,535 - $13,065

10. Kia Optima, $16,585 - $20,585
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Well Dan, I think there's some truth to the statements in that article. I never see any women driving Porsche 911's, and I highly doubt that there will be any women buying the Ford GT supercar either. they're simply macho cars. However, I don't agree with the statement about big letters across a vehicle like "Magnum", "SS", or "Hemi" attracting all men. I for one usually like the subtle and stealth look which is why I don't like the bumper inserts for the Marauder. I'm very glad that the our cars didn't come from the factory with big letters all across them that say "Marauder". If they did, then I simply wouldn't have bought one. In the 60's, many americal muscle cars had small emblems on them which were very tastful such as the chevy "SS" emblems. I likes that. And they had some serious HP under the hoods. but then in the 80's cars got to be real gay with no power under the hoods, and big bold emblems splashed across the sides. That was just a mere remnence of the real power that they once had in the 60's. So they simply became slow and flashy.

That's one thing that I'm not so sure I like about the 07 Shelby GT500. Those big racing stripes. But it's what's going to be under the hood that will attract me. Now the GT supercar, that's just in a class by itself. What a body on that thing. Talk about "sexy". Low slung and wide. it looks fast just sitting still!!! And it has power and speed to boot. AAAAAHHHH, but I can only dream about that. Atleast I got a ride in one. That's about as close as I'll probably ever get to owning one.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 06-07-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwasson
    The male driver of a V6-powered Mustang, with its 210-horsepower engine, clearly has "enough" power. Probably more than enough.

But when stopped at a red light next to a four-lighted 300-horsepower Mustang GT it is immediately obvious to everyone that the other driver has "more."
    Ah more !!! Now I know that doesn't apply to anyone here. More HP, more TQ, more..... more ... more.

Coincidentally, the "more" part of the male brain also supports the "s3x" desire function. That is why "More S3x" is always conveniently linked and occupies nearly 23 hours and 45 minutes of each day's neural activities. Unless, of course, you have switched to buttermilk !!!
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I thibnk that, as a rule, women are more sane about cars than men are. My wife has her Accord and her Minivan and she bought them for practical reasons. I bought the Marauder for totally impractical reasons. I bought it, despite the fact that I believe the Toyota Solara or the Accord are better cars. However, I liked the Marauder so I bought it anyway.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Most men are definately more into the G-force than women are. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to that rule, I'm just talking about the majority. That's why many women are more practical about car purchases. Now when it comes to how many shoes they buy(women), you can throw the practicality issue right out the window.

I consider SUV's girly cars. Unless they are muddy (muddy Lexus excluded - as if there would ever be one).

I'm very surprised there aren't more on the list. Other than the standard models that women have adopted as their own, there is now an entire segment dedicated to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    Most men are definately more into the G-force than women are. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to that rule, I'm just talking about the majority.
    This is where the Marauder may be a perfect compromise. Initially, my wife was not even remotely interested in the Marauder. But, when a dealer responded to my internet request for a quote, he noted that he only had a Blue MM in stock. Blue?? Never heard of it.

The blue color was enough to convince her to say "Let's go Look". Styling and safety was nice. The interior roominess and comfort made an impression. The test drive was the deal clincher. She could give a rat's azz about what's under the hood. Either way, we both got what we want.

Now I gotta figure out some kinda angle on getting some tuning assistance.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328

(365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478

since April '04

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder
    Now I gotta figure out some kinda angle on getting some tuning assistance.
    Talk to me Charlie...
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Talk to me Charlie...
    I hinted at a Superchips Tuner for Father's Day ... She asked "What does that do?? " I proudly said "It adds 25 horsepower and 35 lb-ft of torque !! " Wrong answer .... she noted that it would just increase my chances of getting in trouble. Ya know ... she is probably right again. I hate when that happens. After 30 years, their ain't a whole lot that I can hide anymore.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328

(365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478

since April '04

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder
    I hinted at a Superchips Tuner for Father's Day ... She asked "What does that do?? " I proudly said "It adds 25 horsepower and 35 lb-ft of torque !! " Wrong answer .... she noted that it would just increase my chances of getting in trouble. Ya know ... she is probably right again. I hate when that happens. After 30 years, their ain't a whole lot that I can hide anymore.
    Tell her that it's cheaper than a sailboat, safer than a motorcycle, and easier on the kids than a 22 year old waitress named Bambi.
    Dan

twolow Guest
    Tell her it improves the slopy shifting and improves gas milage.

She'll charge one tomorrow for practical reasons

Why the focus on cars? Does anybody have any illusions about the female psyche wanting "more" when it comes to shoes or cosmetics?

And what about the home? Guys seem to be very cost-to-function concious when it comes to the home, but get the old lady over at Rooms-to-Go and suddenly it's time to get a home improvement loan from Di-Tech.

Ever notice how a single girls home is immaculate and her car is a dump? It's the opposite with the single guy, his car is in showroom condition and there's here-to-fore unknown bacteria and viruses cultivating in his refrigerator, his laundry dump, the bathroom. And what's that dried substance on those towels under the bed?

Oops. Time to get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by David Morton
    Why the focus on cars? Does anybody have any illusions about the female psyche wanting "more" when it comes to shoes or cosmetics?

And what about the home? Guys seem to be very cost-to-function concious when it comes to the home, but get the old lady over at Rooms-to-Go and suddenly it's time to get a home improvement loan from Di-Tech.

Ever notice how a single girls home is immaculate and her car is a dump? It's the opposite with the single guy, his car is in showroom condition and there's here-to-fore unknown bacteria and viruses cultivating in his refrigerator, his laundry dump, the bathroom. And what's that dried substance on those towels under the bed?

Oops. Time to get back to work.
    LOL........true, very true (for the most part anyway).

I don't agree with the statement about big letters across a vehicle like "Magnum", "SS", or "Hemi" attracting all men. I for one usually like the subtle and stealth look which is why I don't like the bumper inserts for the Marauder. I'm very glad that the our cars didn't come from the factory with big letters all across them that say "Marauder". If they did, then I simply wouldn't have bought one. {Quote} Though you are entitled to your opinion, you may be the minority.The inserts look like they belong on the Marauder,otherwise I can't even notice the embossing at all
    As for the shiney letters, If they were on the car already, you would still have purchaced it!
    Bradley can't fool me G
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G
    The inserts look like they belong on the Marauder,otherwise I can't even notice the embossing at all
    As for the shiney letters, If they were on the car already, you would still have purchaced it!
    Bradley can't fool me G
    I like the fact that you cannot see the "Marauder" letters on my back bumper until you get close to the car. I wish that they weren't on there at all. But because they aren't that visible, then it doesn't bother me. If they were, then it would depend how big they were. If they were like the inserts that people from here buy, then I'd look for a way to either remove them, or get another bumper (perhaps from a Crown Vic). If they were huge, as well as on other places of the car too, then I definately wouldn't have bought the car even if it came with a supercharger. Because to me that's just gay. It's in the same league as pretty lights all over the car, or a chain steering wheel, or 22" spoked wheels.

Who cares if your car is a "Marauder" or not? I don't think having the word "Marauder" splashed all over your car (or any other name) makes it any more impressive. If it looks good, then it looks good. If it doesn't, then it doesn't, no matter what name is attached to it. Just my preference though. I might be in the minority like you said, but that doesn't change my mind about this. LOL....okay Brad, you've been successful as getting me on my soapbox today. (I know, that isn't difficult to do, right? ).....
    Last edited by BillyGman; 06-08-2005 at 11:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information