Thread: OK, I'm finally ready to buy a chip and 4.10

twolow Guest

OK, I'm finally ready to buy a chip and 4.10

Through the other thread I was pondering all the things I could do with some extra cash and I decided to buy Lidio's chip and a 4.10 gear and have it put in. Here are my questions:

1) Where should I buy the 4.10? Do we have a supporting vendor?

2) Also, Lidio can mail me a programmed chip? I read where people do a dyno there and he custom programs one but I guess he can send me a average tune for someone with flowmasters and 4.10?

3) Where does the chip go?

4) How do I contact Lidio?

I think you need to grab an SCT Tuner, both the tuner and gears you can get from Innovative Interceptors. Last time I talked to Wes he was wishing me a happy birthday and making sure I was satisfied with the things I purchased.

I think you can buy a SCT Tuner from Lidio as well? He has a stage one package, I think. Look on the Vendors section, "Alternative Automotive."

twolow Guest
    When I say chip and you say tuner are we saying the same thing? I was assuming a tuner was something I could reprogram myself at some point but I have no interest in doing that as I would screw something up. I may be wrong though...

I carry the SCT Tuner with Lidios Tunes, as well as the Ford Motorsport gears. Shipping is free for MM.net members.

2004s couldn't be chipped, so they are 'flashed'. 03s can be chipped, but Its less work anyway, a chip has prep work before installing the chip onto the PCM etc. Flashing takes less than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by wchain; 06-22-2005 at 06:57 AM.
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by twolow
    When I say chip and you say tuner are we saying the same thing? I was assuming a tuner was something I could reprogram myself at some point but I have no interest in doing that as I would screw something up. I may be wrong though...
    There are 3 ways to upgrade the "tune' in your MM.

1) Chip - A "chip" is a replacement chip for the for the stock chip that is inside the computer already in the car. It requires opening up the computer in the car, removing the old chip & installing the new chip. If you need to bring your car into the dealer for service and they have to reflash the computer for any reason you will lose the "tune" on that chip.

2) Programer - A programer does just what is says, reprograms the chip already in the MM's computer. SCT's Xcalibrator can hold 3 "tunes" in addition to the stock "tune". Programming takes about 3 - 5 minutes. Good thing about the programmer is that you can try different "tunes" and can reprogram the chip if it's ever re-programmed by the dealer.

3) Programer / Tuner - SCT's Xcalibrator 2 will program the chip in the MM computer and allow you make some changes to the "tune". You can change axle ratio (for when you install those 4.10's), idle speed, traction control (on or off), tire size, etc. It will also do data logging and display and clear trouble codes.

I went with Ford Racing 4.10's that I bought locally, wasn't any cheaper, but no shipping and I had them as soon as I needed them. I used a highly recommended local installer who charged $250.00 labor. I also bought the bearings, gasket and gear oil. The Ford Racing gears were so good that no shims or adjustments were needed. In fact the install went so easy the guy only charged me $200.00!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

twolow Guest
    So I buy the SCT tuner and gears, install gears, and the tuner already has everything set for the 4.10 so just plug it in after the car's off the rack and set it to the correct preprogrammed 'tune' and drive out a happier man.

That about it?

When doing gears, as mentioned above, it's probably a good idea to have new axle bearings installed (I only have 19k but will probably have new ones put in anyway) and you need to remember to make sure they put in the ford friction modifier for the limited slip.

Also, I would go with synthetic gear fluid, I would rpobably bring my own, either redline or amsoil.

As for when to tune I'd assume it's after the gears are in but if doing just gears it might not matter aside for the speedometer differences.

I'm going to hold out so I can do a CAI along with the gears, I think that might make the retune worth a tad more and CAI is only about $200 more.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Rider90
    I think you need to grab an SCT Tuner, both the tuner and gears you can get from Innovative Interceptors. Last time I talked to Wes he was wishing me a happy birthday and making sure I was satisfied with the things I purchased.

Wes is da man!!Ya can't go wrong with him..

http://innovativeinterceptors.com

http://www.alternativeauto.com

http://www.reinhartperformance.com
    Last edited by MarauderMark; 06-22-2005 at 08:11 AM.

twolow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarauderMark
    Wes is da man!!Ya can't go wrong with him.
    I'm now in negotiations with him as we speak

twolow Guest
    Wes is sending me the SCT tuner, 4.10 gear, and JLT intake

Now I just need to negotiate with a local shop to put the gear in.

So I buy the SCT tuner and gears, install gears, and the tuner already has everything set for the 4.10 so just plug it in after the car's off the rack and set it to the correct preprogrammed 'tune' and drive out a happier man.

That about it?
    You should bring your car up to Team Ford in Marietta. Auric can custom tune your car on the dyno and download the program into your SCT tuner.

Bring your Ford Motorsport 4:10 gears and have them installed by Scott at Team on a Saturday.

I got everything done at Team. Auric has a program for Marauders that he has fine tuned over time. You'll love the tune and the way your tranny shifts when he is done.

If I can help to hook you up with the best MM dealer in GA, let me know.

383 4-speed w air grabber

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan
    When doing gears, as mentioned above, it's probably a good idea to have new axle bearings installed
    Also, I would go with synthetic gear fluid, I would rpobably bring my own, either redline or amsoil.
    Breadfan brings up two excellent points.

1. Check with your (or ANY) dealer for the axle TSB...you may be eligible for free axles, wheel bearings, and seals. The tech who installs your 4.10s SHOULD install new pinion bearings, but be sure to verify that.

2. The lube supplied with the axle TSB kit is a synthetic 75W-140, so I would put that in when your gears are done...I used Motorcraft, but Red Line, AMSOIL, or Mobil 1 would also be good choices.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Blog Entries
    Through the other thread I was pondering all the things I could do with some extra cash and I decided to buy Lidio's chip and a 4.10 gear and have it put in. Here are my questions:

1) Where should I buy the 4.10? Do we have a supporting vendor?

2) Also, Lidio can mail me a programmed chip? I read where people do a dyno there and he custom programs one but I guess he can send me a average tune for someone with flowmasters and 4.10?

3) Where does the chip go?

4) How do I contact Lidio?
    Lidio # 586-463-0010.

Thread Information