Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel stud problem

Gagfish Guest

Wheel stud problem

OK, I had a problem on the way to work and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. I tend to drive the car hard but not this AM. Luckily it happened when I was starting from a stop sign, so I was going like 5mph, felt it and stopped. There was no damage to the wheel nor any other reason I could find why this would happen. Any ideas? And to make a bad situation worse the dealer says my warrantee is void because I have nitrous. Note the nitrous has not completely been installed yet so it is not functional.

twolow Guest
    Oh man, all five bolts just broke off leaving your rotor on the ground? You said you felt it and stopped....seemed like it would have been you heard a crashing sound and the car stopped itself

Quote Originally Posted by Gagfish
    All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. Any ideas?
    It sounds like someone removed your wheel at some point and didn't properly torque the lug nuts (95 ft-lbs) when they re-installed it. Too tight can be almost as bad as too loose...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I had a problem with my rear wheel stud bolts a month ago. I replaced the rear rotors and the Ford mechanic broke 2 of 5 stud bolts while torquing down to 95 pounds. He informed me that someone removed and mounted my tires over tightened the nuts. Sounded good to me until I read this post. Do you have a 300A model Marauder ?

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Gagfish Guest
    It is a 300A. I put the wheels on with the Gorilla wheel lock system and torques them to 95 lb-ft. That was a year ago and wheels have not been off since.

Luckily the rotor fell onto the rim, so the wheel was still in the well and held the car up. It happened at like 5mph so it's the best way it could have happened if it was gonna happen.

Maybe the prior owner torques them bad in the past and it didn't happen til a year later?

Gagfish Guest
    Oh, and does anyone have any advice on how to get Ford to pay for this? Warrantee is good til August but they said the nitrous voids it, even without it being fully installed.

Try telling them the nitrous isn't even installed and never used and THE WHEEL FELL OFF which is a serious safety hazard.

Tell them they should be happy to pay for the repair becuase had it fallen off at 80mph they would've been paying alot more after being sued when you die from the wheel falling off.

Lug bolts should be able to handle being overtightened and not have complete failure of ALL FIVE like that. Maybe one or two, and maybe when launching at the dragstrip, but not all 5 at 5mph.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

hitchhiker Guest
    It is a 300A. I put the wheels on with the Gorilla wheel lock system and torques them to 95 lb-ft. That was a year ago and wheels have not been off since.

Luckily the rotor fell onto the rim, so the wheel was still in the well and held the car up. It happened at like 5mph so it's the best way it could have happened if it was gonna happen.

Maybe the prior owner torques them bad in the past and it didn't happen til a year later?
    I had an early 70's GTO that had the driver's front corner drop to the road when
    a Ball Joint broke.

I was also lucky to be going slow at the time!

Glad the you're OK!

[QUOTE=Gagfish]All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. I tend to drive the car hard but not this AM.

How many miles did you have on your MM when the wheel fell off?
    How much horsepower does your engine put out?
    Is it only 302 HP?
    I also have a 2002 production MM.
    thank you
    Jim

Gagfish Guest
    Yeah, I told them that the nitrous was not hooked up and they said it didn;t matter. Then I asked about the Saleen they have in the show room that comes with nitrous? They said it the bottle is filled it voids the warrantee. I'll have to fight them with the whole safety thing because it could have been a whole lot worse. And the nitrous had nothing to do with it.

The car has 26,000 miles on it.

Yeah, I told them that the nitrous was not hooked up and they said it didn;t matter. Then I asked about the Saleen they have in the show room that comes with nitrous? They said it the bottle is filled it voids the warrantee. I'll have to fight them with the whole safety thing because it could have been a whole lot worse. And the nitrous had nothing to do with it.

The car has 26,000 miles on it.
    Has anyone else serviced your vehicle?
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Wow....

Never heard of such a failure.

They'll have to prove the non-working N20 caused the failure. I doubt they can however.

That dealer sounds like a bad dealer. Had they given you that impression earlier, perhaps you shpuld have sought out another dealer.

Fortunately, you say you have no further damage. Buy some studs and fix it yourself. Never return to that dealer.
    2017 Niro

OK, I had a problem on the way to work and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. All the studs on the rear passenger tire snapped and the wheel fell off. I tend to drive the car hard but not this AM. Luckily it happened when I was starting from a stop sign, so I was going like 5mph, felt it and stopped. There was no damage to the wheel nor any other reason I could find why this would happen. Any ideas? And to make a bad situation worse the dealer says my warrantee is void because I have nitrous. Note the nitrous has not completely been installed yet so it is not functional.
    Also noticed this problem last month when replacing tires. The rear wheels were very difficult to remount. Had to rasp file both inside the wheel and the stud it mounts on to get a proper fit. Prior to that I tried to mount and tighten lugs but it just didn't feel or look right. Then rasped filed and it took care of problem. The last time someone mounted your rear wheel they didn't properly mount it!

PR

Gagfish Guest
    I can see the dealer's point that it would seem to be the obvious cause. But it is not. I an concerned that this may be a safety issue. Car has never been serviced other than by me for routine stuff, like oil. The dealer called a little while ago. The car is done. $237 to replace the studs. Luckily no other damage was done. And at least me and the car are OK. Thanks guys for your help and concern. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.

I can see the dealer's point that it would seem to be the obvious cause. But it is not. I an concerned that this may be a safety issue. Car has never been serviced other than by me for routine stuff, like oil. The dealer called a little while ago. The car is done. $237 to replace the studs. Luckily no other damage was done. And at least me and the car are OK. Thanks guys for your help and concern. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.
    The only safety issue that would concern me is if the wheel studs for the Marauder
    are the same studs fo the CV/GM.
    The Marauder's wheels are 18". while the CV/GM are 16".
    The MARAUDER should have STRONGER studs all around.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information