Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer will not fix valve seals or rear axle.

Dealer will not fix valve seals or rear axle.

Two weeks ago, when I took my (2003 300A 06-2002 build) MM for it’s 20,000 maintenance (oil and filter) I again complained about the smoke at start up and, thanks to the info from this great site, told them to specifically check the valve seals etc. The master tech of the shop told me that he will personally start up the car in the morning and tell me exactly what is wrong once and for all. Five days later, I call and ask my service advisor when my car would be ready and he tells me that they are still working on it. The next day, he calls and informs me that he has bad news. He explained that even though the technicians feel that the seals are causing the smoke on start-up that FORD will not allow them to touch the engine. The hot line that they must call before performing the job will not authorize the repair and insist that the smoke on start up is a “normal characteristic” of this engine. I called ESP personally right at the dealership and they told me that there is nothing they can do if the techs on the hot line said that the smoke is not a problem. I got so angry that my car was there for a week and still smokes on start-up that I went straight to my local muffler shop and installed Flowmater Delta 40’s and have been trying to forget about the smoke with the sweet sound of my V8. Now, two weeks later, I took my Marauder to that same dealership (I take it there for ALL my service by the way) and complained about noise coming from the rear axle. I also gave them the exact TSB for the rear axle replacement (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:date Month="3" Day="5" Year="2005">03-5-5</st1:date>). Well, the next day my service advisor calls again and says that they cannot get it done because I only complained about noise from the rear axle and forgot to mention the vibration problems as a result of it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

</P>

Is it just this particular dealership or am I never going to get anything fixed on this Marauder.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

1)What do I have to do to get these issues fixed? </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

2)Anyone know of a good F-L-M or SVT dealership anywhere near <st1:place><st1:City>Miami</st1:City>, <st1:State>FL</st1:State></st1:place> that takes good care of our Marauders without all this bullsh_t? </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

P.S. </P>

</P>

</P>

I have the Premium Care ESP 3 yrs. 75,000 miles.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

I wish that I can make it to MV3 and meet you guys but I work 65 hours a week and have not even had the chance to meet the great guys from the Sunshine State Marauders (yet). I visit this site everyday and I don’t want to sound like a dork but I feel lucky to be a member of this site.</P>

</P>
    Last edited by Shora; 07-14-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Pleasant Hill Ca. - across the bay from San Francisco.

Lightbulb RE:Valve seals and rearend.

Shora,

Try a Ford Dealer that services the local police or FHP cars.

I took mine an 03MM to the local Cobra Dealer the takes care of
    the police services. They were well aware of the axle problems and
    had special hearing tools that located the noise and vibration.
    They ordered a kit and replaced all bearings and the 2 axles as this
    condition had happened many times on law enforcemant CV's. The
    tech's new more and did more. It seamed as though they had more
    clout!!!

To be honest the local LM dealer never did have the expertise or
    interest.

If that does not work get ahold of the area Ford rep.
    Keep pressing for attention.
    And if that does not work pm me for more connections.

Good luck,
    Warren

As Warren said, find another dealer. Mine has been service by a local small town dealer, since new, and I've had no probloem with them at all. In fact, when I took it in for the noise in the rear, they rebuilt the entire 3rd member first, said the limited slip clutches were chattering. The tech who did the work never checked the axles, so when I picked the car up, noise still there, I went right back. They did change the axles and bearing under the TSB, the 2nd tech told me the first guy should have found the axles as they were really scoured.

This same dealer also changed my engine after it overheated. Like wise, I had the oil on start up which didn't really bother me as I also had this problem on both the '96 and '99 Cobra I owned before. Both went 100K with out as much as having the valve covers off, well the '99 had the TSB upgrade for low HP, but otherwise was never opened up. I expected the same from this engine until it overheated at 54k.

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

I take care of the FHP and the some local police departments in Miami. Please e-mail your VIN and I will respond back to you by Saturday morning. I have seen plenty of the axle concern, but not one valve seal concern. I will be by tonight at the Tower shops at about 7-7:30.

Valve stem seals have been a problem with 2V 4.6 V8s since the dawn of the engine. I was watching the Gratiot Cruise on TV and a LIncoln Town Car took off from a light complete with the requisite blue smoke screen. I'm not sure why the 4V 4.6s have the same problem.

Which dealership is this? It sounds EXACTLY like Gables Lincoln Mercury (may they burn in hell).
    Best,
    Rick

2004 Silver Birch w/Light Flint Interior
    10.44 @ 131.66 MPH | 604 RWHP & 562 RWTQ

- Trilogy Supercharger #79 Twinscrew w/ 14PSI, Alternative Auto Forged 5.3 Stroker, Stage III Cams, JLT CAI, 405lph Return Fuel System, XL Heat Exchanger, 4.10's, Built Transmission, SCT 90MM MAF, Custom Tuned by Lidio.

- Kooks Headers. Magnaflow Cats & 18" Mufflers with 2.5" X-Pipe & Tailpipes. Megs' Res-Delete Tips

- Widened 9.5" Rear Rims w/Nitto NT555G2 Front Tires and NT555Rii Drag Radials.
       245/45/ZR18 & 305/45/ZR18. TCE Performance Brakes and SS lines.

- Spoiler, MMX Driveshaft, Metco Loop and Control Arms, ADTR Front and Addco Rear Sway Bars, Art Carr Transmission Pan, Eaton Posi, Stud & Girdle kit, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Marauder Door Sills, SS Inserts, Dynamat, Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX with 6x8" 260w Speakers and 12" 1400w Sub-woofer

Quote Originally Posted by sfsv
    I take care of the FHP and the some local police departments in Miami. Please e-mail your VIN and I will respond back to you by Saturday morning. I have seen plenty of the axle concern, but not one valve seal concern. I will be by tonight at the Tower shops at about 7-7:30.
    I only get out of work at 9:40 PM. Will you guys still be there after 10:00pm or are you guys usually back home by then?

At 10 o'clock were sometimes still eating dinner (kindof hard to get a table for 15+ people) Send a PM with your phone number to Cobra25 and he can give you a heads up of where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by sfsv
    Where is your shop?

Well I hope Ford doesn't give my local dealer the same problem I'm dropping my car off next week for the blue smke issue and the service manager said he was going to pull the heads. I'll keep you informed of what they find.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Born: 18 July 02
    Adopted: 09 Dec 2003
    Options: 6 disc Changer
    Mods:
    Superchips 9100 Custom tuner with Lidio and Reinhart programing
    PHP's high flow air box

Call me I think I can help

Ford pays dealerships a flat rate for each type of repair. If the dealership cannot repair it for that cost (i.e. labor takes longer than Ford specifies), they have no incentive to fix it. I've heard of dealerships not fixing a problem under warranty because they would lose money. Its not common. But, it has happened before.

Try calling 1-800-392-FORD. Its a help line to use when the dealer cannot help.

Or ask for the Ford Zone rep for your area

worksuxxx Guest
    I also had a 300a born date 6/2/02 with blue smoke on startup. (Just sold last week), I saw a post to check pcv, when I did I found oil in the tube. Replaced pcv now doesn't smoke on start up. May or may not correct but easy fix to try first. I was at 43,000 miles when I changed it though, twice the amount you are at.

A PCV valve does not normally cause smoke on start up, this is what happens when you drive your car engine oil is pumped to all the critical areas of the engine, one is the cylinder heads, oil lubricates the cams and valve stems, at the bottom of the valve stem is a seal that rests on the valve guide, as the valves move up and down excessive oil is wiped off the stem and the seal is designed so oil will not run down the valve stem onto the valve and drip into the combustion chamber, if the valve guides are worn and or the seals are bad when you drive the car as I have explained oil will be up in the cylinder head, this oil runs out of the heads back into the block through drain holes in the heads, Now when you park the car and shut the engine off that oil will also run down the valve stems and if the seals and or guides are bad the oil will drip into the cylinders that is why when you start the car it smokes like crazy till all the oil is burnt out of the cylinders, a PCV will allow oil to be drawn out of the top of the valve cover and sucked into the intake, this will pretty much make the car smoke all the time not just on start up, again this issue is a warranty item it sounds to me like the dealer is being a pain take it some where else or call a Zone rep, if the car was here it would have already been fixed at my dealer here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information