Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new tires...

My new tires...

Time for new tires...Again. Here's a little background first.

I own the very first of the Kenny Brown Marauder S builds, the "#1x" experimental car. This is a Vortech based supercharged MM, which includes new tires in a new compound, and in a size greater than the OEM stuff.

A Marauder S is not a "kit", but a whole car upgrade, and the tires are an important component of this treatment. The KB tires are extremely sticky, perhaps the best I have ever driven on dry surfaces. In the rain, again, the very best I have experienced in my life. Wet or dry, they are rolling glue to the pavement.

The compound is the Pirelli P-Zero Assymetrico, in 255/45/18 front and 255/50/18 rear. The wheel wells are full (on stock rims), and without any frame or fender contact. Moreover, the OEM "rake" is intact.

My Marauder S had fresh tires in place when I bought it, but I'm told it went through two sets in testing. Since I took ownership, I have replaced one set of front tires, and two sets of rear tires, and I'm not bothered by this replacement. It's the cost of driving hard, and driving a car that can take hard driving.

These Pirelli tires are very sticky, and sticky means short life, so, like being supercharged in a gasoline troubled world, you need to be willing to pay for your entertainment. Moreover, the Pirelli line is always more expensive than others, but IMHO, they are worth it every penny, maybe more. In fact, I have paid more than I expected, but (shrug) so what...

Last season, when my 255/50 rears showed the wear bars (3/32 on the tread depth gauge), I gave them to Barry (CruzTaker), who did quite well with them at the race track as "pro bono" drag radials. I insisted that he not them on the street and he obliged. I replaced them with 285/45/18 Pirelli P-Zero Assymetricos, now mounted on 9.5" wide MM wheels. A great season of racing and even better OTR driving, they were the ideal tire for this Kenny Brown monster, IMHO.

Sadly, my 285/45 rears are shot now too, 3/32 tread depth with wear bars showing again. This isn't healthy for a street/highway Marauderer, this car is too heavy and produces too much power, to risk it all with a loss of traction, or, braking power. Time to shop for new tires, and I need to back away from the 285/45 due to their cost. Afterall, tires are petroleum products too.

Meanwhile, Pirelli introduces a complimentary tire, the "Directionale." Complimentary to the front, as long as the Assymetrico are out back. This tire has a unique tread pattern specifically designed to work with Assymetrico tread pattern on the rear. While the front vacates and voids road water differently than the rear, it's meant to "clear the path" which improves the ability of both tread designs to become great rain tires, and perfect for OTR trips at OTR speed.

I learned a long time ago, that tires are supposed to be replaced as matched sets, and being frugal about this is also being risky. I also learned that fresh, or, "new" rubber lasts longer and provides better grip and braking when mounted in front. If us MM owners were not handicapped by different front and rear tire size, I'd be the first to say "replace the fronts, rotate fronts to the rear", but I can't say this.

It's different for me now. My 255/45/18 front tires are in great shape, perfect wear with 9/32 tread depth, and I thank "road force balancing" and "four corner alignment" technology for this. These Assymetrico treaded tires are like brand new, so, they go out back, and my new Directionale fronts, in 245/45/18 trim, go to the front.

I haven't done a lot of OTR driving yet, but I will, and very soon. The different tread patterns are now exactly what Pirelli wants on heavy performance cars, and I am pleased with my "around town" results. I got grip. When driving straight ahead, or in the twisties, I got grip, and the OEM rake too, despite my changes in suspension ala Kenny Brown's exquisite Marauder S design.

The cost wasn't bad, and surely not as bad as it has been. My new front tires cost me 464.50 delivered to my front door by Tire Rack. Another 50 bucks local for mounting, chrome valve stems, and road force balancing, this is not as much as I have spent before. BTW...Those 285/45s I mentioned...I wore them down in one season. They were 450 bucks each because they are made for one car only, a Bently. While it's nice to share a tire with an exotic car, I'm hoping for better wear numbers this season.

However, it's not all bad. Those 285/45s also got me my fastest ET on street tires, maybe the fastest ET on street tires I've seen posted here. 12.665/109.74 MPH, with a 1.909 sixty foot time, and with 200 pounds of junk in the trunk. Way to go Pirelli! Not even my BFG drag radials performed this well.

Barry...Is UPS okay?

remember..... if/when Mac wants to part with his chromed wheels.......

I GOT DIBS ON 'EM

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke
    remember..... if/when Mac wants to part with his chromed wheels.......
    Rick c'mon, if you want em you gotta know what they are. Nickel plated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider90
    Rick c'mon, if you want em you gotta know what they are. Nickel plated.

Nickel plated, Chromed, whatever...... i got dibs

Way to go Sarge, maybe some pictures when you get the chance.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

bigslim Guest
    Sorry to bust your bubble Mac but I saw Dave run a 12.4 on street Goodrich tires (KDWS) last year at Lapeer with the Trilogy 1 car. BTW, it had a 410 gear in it too which didn't help with the launch. Anyway, good run....
    Last edited by bigslim; 07-23-2005 at 06:30 PM.

MI2QWK4U Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslim
    Sorry to bust your bubble Mac but I saw Dave run a 12.4 on street Goodrich tires (KDWS) last year at Lapeer with the Trilogy 1 car. BTW, it had a 410 gear in it too which didn't help with the launch. Anyway, good run....

It took a few runs to learn how to launch with stock tires on her, but I was suprised to pedal the #1 car to its best time on stock tires....

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    I also learned that fresh, or, "new" rubber lasts longer and provides better grip and braking when mounted in front. If us MM owners were not handicapped by different front and rear tire size, I'd be the first to say "replace the fronts, rotate fronts to the rear", but I can't say this.
    Hmm...

Mac, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but putting the tires with the best grip up front is,
    IMO, not the best advice for a street driver. Especially when rain or the white stuff are part of the mix.
    The last thing a typical street driver wants is to have the rear come around because the grippy new skins
    went up front. (I might enjoy it, but that's because I'm nuts.) Anyways, I've always followed exactly the
    opposite of what it seems you are suggesting here, especially on front drivers...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'03 Marauder 300B, Dark Blue Pearl, Dark Charcoal/Flint interior, Badgeless front and rear, 4.10s and Lidio Tune

Sorry to bust your bubble Mac but I saw Dave run a 12.4 on street Goodrich tires (KDWS) last year at Lapeer with the Trilogy 1 car...
    Quote Originally Posted by MI2QWK4U
    It took a few runs to learn how to launch with stock tires on her, but I was suprised to pedal the #1 car to its best time on stock tires....
    Why is everything a contest with you guys? I wasn't declaring any trophy, or, title here, just sharing my amazement over the performance of Pirelli tires. Geeze...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    Way to go Sarge, maybe some pictures when you get the chance.
    Thanks, Javier. I'm taking this OG to a car show at the end of the month, I'll have some pics then. Meanwhile, here's some pics of the tires themselves, and some light history on Pirelli's design intent.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=18
    Last edited by SergntMac; 07-24-2005 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook
    Hmm...

Mac, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but putting the tires with the best grip up front is, IMO, not the best advice for a street driver. Especially when rain or the white stuff are part of the mix. The last thing a typical street driver wants is to have the rear come around because the grippy new skins
    went up front. (I might enjoy it, but that's because I'm nuts.) Anyways, I've always followed exactly the opposite of what it seems you are suggesting here, especially on front drivers...
    I hear you, JA, my father taught me differently too. But, there are many concerns in my decision, and the manufacturer's intent to deliver a special tread and compound for use of the front is one of them. They made this tire for the front, and my Assymetricos are not severly worn, so, I am not expecting any control complications.

Thank you for pointing out your concern, I hope folks don't take my 411 as advice "across the board", your needs (and results) may vary.

I'm just surprised that 'Slim and Dave actually took the time to read that pablum....

Tell me it ain't so boys.....please.

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    I'm just surprised that 'Slim and Dave actually took the time to read that pablum....

Tell me it ain't so boys.....please.
    Morning Todd. Good to see you checking in...

bigslim Guest
    Why is everything a contest with you guys? I wasn't declaring any trophy, or, title here, just sharing my amazement over the performance of Pirelli tires. Geeze...
    Thanks, Javier. I'm taking this OG to a car show at the end of the month, I'll have some pics then. Meanwhile, here's some pics of the tires themselves, and some light history on Pirelli's design intent.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=18
    It's not that there is a contest going on, you made a statement and I corrected it. Sorry if you feel that way. Geeze.......

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    I'm just surprised that 'Slim and Dave actually took the time to read that pablum....Tell me it ain't so boys.....please.
    Hehehe...Nice to hear from you again, Todd, how are things in the muffler business?
    It's not that there is a contest going on, you made a statement and I corrected it. Sorry if you feel that way. Geeze.......
    Statement? Does the word "maybe" have a special meaning in your neck of the woods?
    Last edited by SergntMac; 07-24-2005 at 08:34 AM.

bigslim Guest
    Hehehe...Nice to hear from you again, Todd, how are things in the muffler business?
    Statement? Does the word "maybe" have a special meaning in your neck of the woods?
    Could comment on that but I chose to take the "high road" that we drive on here in dem der neck of the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information