Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What causes the various front end noises on a Panther?

What causes the various front end noises on a Panther?

My friend has a '98 Town Car and it's got some noise in the front end. He's now got 94,000 miles, and hwen he turns the steering wheel it makes a high pitched squeal. Not a power steering noise, but a front end squeal. It will do it at low speeds and while stopped and turning.

Also, his car does the same thing my dad's CVPI does. When turned at full turn in a slow turn, like parking lot manuevers, it makes a clunking noise. I'm guessing that's a worn balljoint?

Hope these are good descriptions! The clunk seems to be common on higher mileage Panthers.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

sounds like a dry tie rod end or ball joint...very common....they dont have grease fittings and end up making noise after awhile....
    former owner...2003 marauder black

vortech air/air reichard 3.4 pulley
    dr exhaust w/ mac stainless mufflers
    baer 14in brakes, stainless hoses
    4.30's
    31spline mosers, auburn pro, tfs girdle
    dynotech shaft
    305 nittos

sold!

clunking noise when at full turn

My best guess for the noise when at full turn in a parking lot is just a lack of grease on the wheel stops. A simple fix is to spread a small amount of grease on the stops every couple of months. I don't think that this is a problem for the MM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thePunisher
    sounds like a dry tie rod end or ball joint...very common....they dont have grease fittings and end up making noise after awhile....

Sometimes you get a Honda or a Toyota stuck up under there and they squeak real bad...

Last edited by TooManyFords; 07-28-2005 at 02:32 PM.

texasvic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hbarrett
    My best guess for the noise when at full turn in a parking lot is just a lack of grease on the wheel stops. A simple fix is to spread a small amount of grease on the stops every couple of months. I don't think that this is a problem for the MM.
    Indeed.

The front spindle is contacting the lower control arm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey... I found a Kia sumthin or other ... I hear dem's good eatin fer brefas ...

Ok, I'll grease that pocket on my dads car...

Think the steering noise is a tie rod? Wasn't sure if the steering box needed lube of any sort. I'm not sure but I'm guessing the Town Car is a recirc. ball not a rack/pinion system like the MM and CV LX sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan
    Ok, I'll grease that pocket on my dads car...

Think the steering noise is a tie rod? Wasn't sure if the steering box needed lube of any sort. I'm not sure but I'm guessing the Town Car is a recirc. ball not a rack/pinion system like the MM and CV LX sport...
    Starting with 2003, ALL PANTHERS have Power Rack & Pinion steering.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Clunking Normal

Quote Originally Posted by thePunisher
    I've got a 99 CV with 177k on it and I can't get rid of the clunk when slow turning/slowly over speed bumps/etc. I did replace the tie rod ends at about 160k. These are sealed units so you can't add grease and the grease was gone and they were completely rusted, water actually poured out when I took them off. BOTH tie rod ends had about 15mm of play they were so worn and rusted (I wondered why there was so much slop in the steering in the CV compared to the Marauder). With that scary discovery I replaced all the joints/knuckles with no effect on the clunking noise. I think it's related to the rubber mounts on the torsion bar on the front, I've bought them but I haven't gotten around to changing them yet.
    2003 300B BLUE (stolen for 9 days)
    PI 3000 TC, 4:10 gear + girdle, Dynotech Driveshaft,
    bulletproof trans, 2nd trans cooler + deep pan & Redline D4 ATF
    Steeda UDs, Rear engine cooling kit, Denso plugs, high capacity oil filter on frame, Reinhart superchip
    + gauges, SilverStars, & fire extinguisher

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
    2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab/8' Bed; 21.5' long

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77
    I've got a 99 CV with 177k on it and I can't get rid of the clunk when slow turning/slowly over speed bumps/etc. ......... I think it's related to the rubber mounts on the torsion bar on the front, I've bought them but I haven't gotten around to changing them yet.
    Let us know how it works out.
    Sactown

I had a 1997 CV, and a 2001 CVLX, bought both with low miles. Both clanked and clunked in the front and occaisionally the rear. Thusly, I am not surprised to hear similar noises coming out of my Marauder from time to time.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

The Squeaking when turning left to right is usually a dry tie rod end boot.
    I see this ALL the time with in service CVPIs. The solution?

Auto parts store sell an adapter to your grease gun with a hypodermic needle type fitting on the end. I grease them up like that and they're good again, and the hole is usually so small that seepage is non existant.

Good luck.
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

Funny you guys should Mention Front End Noise! Just 3 Days ago, I was driving around my neighborhood and I noticed a Squeak coming from the front end! It only Seemed to do it when I was going straight ahead and it was getting annoying! I opened the hood and bounced the car while looking at the upper control arm bushings, No Noise there, I then see that there is a lot of water coming off the Freon Canister that sits low near the A/C Compressor, I thought that the water from the condinsation was hitting the belt when I was driving and that was my squeak sound!. I Picked up a new Belt, Installed it and Long and Behold, STILL SQUEAKING!!!!. Not only is it still squeaking, But its getting louder! Today I finally get my car on the lift and I start checking all the ball joints and bushings, Nothing is worn, or rubbing. The only thing I noticed is that the Stabilizer Link rubbed up against the Lower Brake Caliper Bolt, So I made a slight tweak to make sure that there is clearance. I put the wheels back on, Take it for a ride and Im not even out of the driveway when that DAMN SQUEAK RETURNS!!. Now Im pissed! I Pull the car back in, Get out and slam the door, When I do that, I hear the squeak! I then open the door and close it again, Squeak!, I pop the Hood and slam the Door, NO SQUEAK! Yes, The Stupid Rubber Height Adjustment rods on the Radiator support had no locking nuts on them and from vibration and opening and closing the hood, they Screwed themselves Down enough to make the HOOD Squeak!!! 2 1/4" Fine thread nuts later, Squeak Fixed and 2 hours Wasted!!

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Last week I started hearing the same sound that you just described. It was happening on the highway and it was pissing me off. It was squeeking like nonstop, I will try to check into those adjustment rods. This also happens when I close my doors...
    Trilogy #119 S/C installed by Carfixer/Tallboy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinclean
    Last week I started hearing the same sound that you just described. It was happening on the highway and it was pissing me off. It was squeeking like nonstop, I will try to check into those adjustment rods. This also happens when I close my doors...
    Well I hope I solved the Mystery Squeak for you!!! It made me want to drive into a wall!
    Pop the hood latch and slam the door if the noise went away, Its the hood adjustment rods!

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast