Thread: Ford stock.

looking97233 Guest

Ford stock.

I'm not big in the markets, just my funds. But this can't be good for ford.

GM
    GENERAL MOTORS CORP | GM

Mar. 12, 2003 Market Closed
    Common Stock Market : NYSE
    Last Sale: $ 30.63 Net Change: 0.71 2.37%
    Share Volume: 6,334,800 Previous Close: $ 29.92

F
    FORD MOTOR COMPANY | F

Mar. 12, 2003 Market Closed
    Common Stock Market : NYSE
    Last Sale: $ 7.08 Net Change: 0.48 7.27%
    Share Volume: 24,386,100 Previous Close: $ 6.60

Both are up for the day, but Ford's stock at $7/share?

A knowedgeable opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

bchapman Guest
    Hey - Ford is on sale!! Buy buy buy buy!

Comparing stock to stock with out all the deatails is an appls and oranges thing.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Part of the difference in price is the ammount of outstanding (owned by others like you and me) shares. GM has 560.87 million outstanding shares, Ford has 1741.88 million. Don't have my calculator handy, butthat explains part of the difference. Also, GM is the worlds biggest auto maker, therefore the total value of the company is more. Things like consumer confidence, lawsuits, and all that rot play into the stock prices also.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Originally posted by bchapman
    Hey - Ford is on sale!! Buy buy buy buy!
    Great idea! Let's all buy some and give Ford a boost.
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

I'm gonna buy a crudload if it goes to $5. It right now is the lowest in 10 years. Not good but not as bad as it looks.
    2003 MM 300 A
    1984 F150 "STEPSIDE"
    "cause I COULD"

Okay looking, I did some quick math, percieved stock value of GM is 1.320billion, of Ford 1.235billion. I wouldn't worry too much about the price. As stated by others here, good time to buy a bunch.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Originally posted by vaderv
    I'm gonna buy a crudload if it goes to $5. It right now is the lowest in 10 years. Not good but not as bad as it looks.

If it gets that low, I'm in
    300A , Valentine 1 / K-40 Laser Defuser + ,SCT Tuner XCal2 ,180 T-Stat,Plugs,4:10 gears,
    KB Dead Pedal, Factory Spoiler ,Dynamat Xtreme,Tint,Rear cooling Kit (DR),
    Stallion Torque Converter (DR),PHP Intake Spacer Kit,K&N 63-1111cold air kit
    Kooks Headers.

Dave & Busters baby!

I bought last spring when it was $3.50 thinking, hey, an arcade for adults....with alchohol!

Check it out now. Don't need a calculator to figure my initial 1k investment. Now if ford had bars at the dealerships........

Probably NOT a good idea.
    2017 Niro

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    All stocks pretty much took a dive at the begining of this week. Ford and others are on their way back up.
    That price below $7 was a good time to buy.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Blog Entries
    52 week low was $6.58. Better check your cost on it!

Article in NY Times

Interesting article for any of you guys seriously thinking that Ford stock might be a good investment right now...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/14/business/14AUTO.html
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

SOUND: Alpine CD/MP3 with iPod Fullspeed, Sirius Satellite Radio; MB Quart 6 1/2 Premiums up front, MB Quart 5X7 Reference in back, JL Audio W3 10" sub, JL Audio Slash Series 500 W amp, Dynamat everywhere, Optima yellow top to keep it cranking...

SPEED: Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Ford Racing girdle cover and stud kit, SCT Reinhardt tune, Stallion Torque Converter, JLT Intake, Densos/Stat, Addco front and rear, Metco upper and lower, Front Willwood brake kit by TCE

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Matt can you cut and paste that article? You have to sign up with then to view there, and I get enough e-mail already
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

DETROIT, March 13 — A century ago, American car companies were nearly as plentiful as 1990's Internet start-ups. Now there are just two independents left, General Motors and Ford Motor, and some prominent analysts rate their prospects as not much better than a dot-com's.

Without "a material change" in the industry's business model, G.M. and Ford face a crisis that "will involve restructuring, consolidation, or possibly even mergers with other partners," said John Casesa, auto analyst at Merrill Lynch, in an interview.

Gary Lapidus of Goldman, Sachs wrote in a recent report entitled "Motown Breakdown" that "the status quo may be untenable." Sean Egan, an analyst at the independent credit rating agency Egan-Jones, was even more pointed recently, saying Ford would be bankrupt if not for its blue- chip brand name.

Certainly, these are lean times for the Big Three, though Chrysler at least has its German parent, DaimlerChrysler, to lean on.

The latest sign of economic trouble came from Ford, which said today that it would cut second-quarter production 17 percent. War worries appear to be halting years of booming North American sales.

"It's pretty clear that consumer confidence has slipped," said George Pipas, Ford's top sales analyst. "It may be an equal measure of concerns about geopolitical instability, prospects for conflict, and there hasn't been much good news as it relates to jobs."

Rising gas prices are also wearing on a pivotal Detroit profit center, big S.U.V.'s. Making matters worse, after a year and a half, an incentive war led by G.M. appears to have lost its effectiveness, while many customers now take zero percent financing for granted.

And there is the most basic problem: Toyota and Honda build vehicles that customers tend to like better. As if all that were not bad enough, now the domestics face a reinvigorated Nissan and an improving Hyundai.

Ford looks weakest right now, for a variety of reasons. Its cost structure is bloated and its bonds are trading as if they had junk ratings. The company, which celebrates its centennial in June, has lost $6.4 billion in the last two years.

And there is continuing turmoil in the corner offices. The management team, assembled by William Clay Ford, Jr., the chairman and chief executive for nearly a year and a half, has yet to coalesce. Nicholas V. Scheele, Ford's president and chief operating officer, sent a memo Wednesday to company officers that tried to squelch rumors of a rift with David Thursfield, another top executive. And Ford is currently looking for its sixth chief financial officer in four years while Allan D. Gilmour, retired until last year, fills in.

This has not bolstered Wall Street's confidence in the turnaround plan Mr. Ford's team laid out last January, 2002, and analysts wonder whether Ford is worth taking a flier on even after hitting a 10-year low Tuesday.

Mr. Egan told Grant's Interest Rate Observer in an article last month, "if it didn't have the name Ford, it would be in bankruptcy."

But Ford does have the name Ford, and almost all other analysts dismiss talk of bankruptcy. In fact, Ford stock got a boost Wednesday when Saul Rubin, a UBS Warburg analyst and a noted bear on Ford, upgraded the stock from "reduce-2" to "neutral-2," in effect telling investors that Ford may be bad, but not that bad.

"While long-term prospects look poor indeed, we believe that Ford simply does not have the balance sheet weakness to support any notion of imminent bankruptcy risk," Mr. Rubin wrote in his report, adding that while it was "a poor equity investment" it was also fairly cheap.

After falling to $6.60 Tuesday, Ford stock rebounded 53 cents over the next two days to close at $7.13. Ford traded as high as $38.11 in 1999.

Others were more pessimistic.

"The reality is that Ford is very bad," Maryann Keller, a longtime auto analyst, adding that the company's troubles are a holdover from the brief, but destructive, reign of Jacques A. Nasser, who was ousted by Mr. Ford in October 2001.

She said Mr. Nasser "squandered billions," laid off the company's older managers and let product plans stagnate.

"Here they are with no products, no bench, no people," she said.

In recent decades, she added, Ford got by because it "was a little better than G.M." by such measures as quality and manufacturing efficiency, and pressures on the Big Three "were largely inflicted on General Motors."

"But now, by most statistical measures, G.M. is better than Ford," she said. "And the world's largest auto company doesn't need to be better than Honda or Toyota, just Ford."

With a potential war looming, things could get worse. "They were not making money over the last two years when auto sales were good," Mr. Egan said in an interview. "So what will it look like over the next two years?"

He also sees a company with total debt load of $166 billion last year versus $11.2 billion in shareholders' equity. But David Brandi, Ford's director of long-term financing, argued against combining Ford's automotive debt with Ford Credit's huge portfolio of car loans.

"You have two very different kinds of businesses," he said, "and there is an appropriate leverage for each."

Most analysts see Ford's borrowing situation as ugly but under control. And there is a debate on whether G.M. really is in much better financial shape than Ford.

"Ford is highly liquid and it has lots of assets to sell," Mr. Casesa of Merrill said. "I'm in the camp that sees the restructuring plan as credible and achievable and exactly what the company needs, but it will take time to create results."

"I think it's the most vulnerable in the market right now, but from a balance sheet standpoint Ford may have more staying power than G.M., primarily because Ford has a much larger net cash position and a much lower pension liability."

Part of G.M.'s problem is that it is the remnant of a much larger company and now supports two and a half retirees per worker in North America, compared with a one-for-one situation at Ford.

Mr. Lapidus of Goldman, Sachs said "the conventional view would be that Ford operations are not performing as well," but he added that Ford's "balance sheet, at least in the short run, is in better shape."

There are fewer short-term calls on their cash and they have more of it," he said.

Copyright 2003_The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

SOUND: Alpine CD/MP3 with iPod Fullspeed, Sirius Satellite Radio; MB Quart 6 1/2 Premiums up front, MB Quart 5X7 Reference in back, JL Audio W3 10" sub, JL Audio Slash Series 500 W amp, Dynamat everywhere, Optima yellow top to keep it cranking...

SPEED: Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Ford Racing girdle cover and stud kit, SCT Reinhardt tune, Stallion Torque Converter, JLT Intake, Densos/Stat, Addco front and rear, Metco upper and lower, Front Willwood brake kit by TCE

Thanks for posting that Matt.

Those people love to spout doom and gloom, and unfortunately what they say and write, correct or not, affects the market.

This isn't the first time ford has faced very hard times. I think they will survive.

That article focuses on Ford, and interesting they mention "The latest sign of economic trouble came from Ford, which said today that it would cut second-quarter production 17 percent. War worries appear to be halting years of booming North American sales. "

But don't mention that GM did the same thing, cutting second-quarter production.
    Member Number 32

Thread Information