Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WATTS link installed

WATTS link installed

Ok, so I dropped off my car to get a oil change done and a once over befor I drive up for MVIII. But while its there RoyLPita offered to install my WATTS link, he even lent me the use of his CV to get to work. Great service from a great friend, now if it wasnt raining I could comment on the feel of the WATTS link. Thank you again Brian.

Blog Entries
    That was nice of RoyLPita (aka) Brian to lend you his car. I hope you like your watt's link. Have a safe trip.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of your new watts link setup when you get the chance to test it out in nice weather. Was this the Metco kit?
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Yes, this was the Metco kit, I had already installed the Addco front and rear sway bars aswell as the Metco control arms.

I'm interested in your results too, thanks.

What is a WATTS link? What does it do?

Welcome to the DARKSIDE...

2003 Black Mercury Marauder

Black and Chrome RPM 505 wheels staggered 18x8 and 18x9, Custom tune by ELD Performance, JLT cold air intake, FRPP 4:10 gears, PI 3000 Stall Torque converter, PHP intake spacer, Stainless Works Complete Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Custom Painted Black factory spoiler, 15% Tint front and rear , Kenwood Excelon 6x8 Front and 6x9 rear Speakers, Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp, Zack and Mack Control arms, Addco Front and Rear Sway bars

Best run: 13.75 @ 99.6 sec on 4 May 07

Quote Originally Posted by Big House
    It's part of the rear suspension. A necessary upgrade to the factory suspension to eliminate body roll in addition to the rear & rear sway bars and upper & lower rear control arms. You can throw in QA1 coil-over front shocks for a complete suspension upgrade.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 08-05-2005 at 06:10 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thanks. I will stick with my Eibachs for a while. The coil overs I can wait on. Looking to do the sway bars though. But the way his car handles stock, I am almost afraid to do anything else to the suspension.

Welcome to the DARKSIDE...

2003 Black Mercury Marauder

Black and Chrome RPM 505 wheels staggered 18x8 and 18x9, Custom tune by ELD Performance, JLT cold air intake, FRPP 4:10 gears, PI 3000 Stall Torque converter, PHP intake spacer, Stainless Works Complete Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Custom Painted Black factory spoiler, 15% Tint front and rear , Kenwood Excelon 6x8 Front and 6x9 rear Speakers, Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp, Zack and Mack Control arms, Addco Front and Rear Sway bars

Best run: 13.75 @ 99.6 sec on 4 May 07

Very happy with mine

Had my Metco Watts Link installed at Collins L-M in Indy during MV2. It was a little tricky but the Master Tech, Danny Boone, did a super job.

It was obvious right away that I had less movement in the cabin from side to side.

4th Horseman and my brother were both there when I had it installed, and it took slightly longer than we thought.

Cost us our B-B-Q dinner at Kenny Brown's because the membership ate it all before we got there. But it was well worth it just to have that Watts Link installed.

The Metco folks are great also, they brought my Watts Link to Indy from North Carolina. Had it waiting for me in the box with my name on it at the Metco tent.

Let us know what you think of it Soul! Regards, -kjs-

My car has the front/rear swaybars, metco control arms, and watts link, anyone considering these mods, at MV3 is welcome to go for a drive. You wont be disappointed. The ride is firmer, but still very very comfortable, it handles like its on rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Big House
    It's the three dimensional geometrical equivalent of the diagonal brace you see that builders put on walls before they put paneling on them. Without a link of some kind to locate the axle and prevent side to side motion the wheels would come out from under the wheel wells on turns. It doesn't do anything to prevent body tilting or roll. That's what sway bars are for.

Ever see an old '80s model CV or GM going over small bumps and notice how the rear end started to wiggle side to side? That's because it used a cheaper single bar that went from a bushing at one side of the rear axle and traversed about three and a half feet across the car to attach to a bushing at the body. This single bar was putting the side to side motion into the car because of the geometry, the planar location between axle and body changed as the axle traveled up and down. Imagine the lower control arms and their four bushings making the four corners of a rectangle. With the old single bar the short legs of this rectangle moved a little bit from side to side because the bar had to be at a slight diagonal sometime during the axles travel up and down. Up and it pushed the axle a little over to the right, down and it pulled the axle to the left. This is a bad thing two ways, wiggling the passengers and worse, shaking the axle side to side during turns that had bumps, compromising traction.

A Watts Link is two bars that each come from the body and connect to a bell crank located on the differential housing which cancels out the side to side deflections of each arm of the link assembly, giving a pefectly perpendicular up and down motion of the rear axle and wheels. It's the hot setup for drivers with solid rear axles that wanna push hard through those curves. Our car has this as a stock setup, but the arms are flimsy P's-O-S with mushy rubber bushings. The full Metco treatment is the only way to go!

SouLRiot be makin smoother curvy skid marks now! Bro', your car will now leap and land sure footed like the true life panther her chassis is named for. Congratulations. It's a very noticeable improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    I'm interested in your results too, thanks.
    ditto as well...
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    ditto as well...
    I have the Metco upper and lower control arms along with the QA 1 coilovers. I also have the rear swaybar from addco. Let me know if I heard wrong but I coould have sworn Dennis said to stay away from the Heavy duty front sway bar because of concerns of weight transfer problems. Guys help me with this go with the front bar or not

Blog Entries
    I drove an MM with the Metco watts and the back end was real twitchy. The solution was a beefier front sway. I didn't drive it with the beefier front sway but the owner reports it cured the problem.

I beefier front sway reduces weight transfer to the rear which results in less traction.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Two questions.

At what points does the Metco Watts connect? Is it body mounted or differential mounted?

What is the spring rating on the QA-1 coil-overs? Does the kit replace the whole stock cpoil-over spring and strut? Is the kit spring rate different from stock?

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information