Thread: Painting stainless steel

Painting stainless steel

I have some new exhaust components to install. Most of it appears to be stainless, but some connectors/welded pieces appear to be aluminized steel. Aluminized steel does not last very long here due heavy salt usage on the roads in the winter. I would like to use hightemp primer and then paint these parts with ceramic based header paint. I figure I'll need to clean everything with a solvent 1st, acetone? My basic question is will the paint adhere to the stainless steel or just peel off?
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

I think the expansion and contraction of the steel due to being an exhaust system, will probably not lend itself to adheasion very well.

However it also depends on your Preparation of the components. Prep work is 90% of success I think.

Me ? Jet Hot !
    If you really want to fix it. Send it to Jet Hot. The local boys will tell you they can do the same job. They can't!

Master Chief, United States Navy, Retired
    2004MM, Black, Built 02/14/04
    32 Ford 5 Window Highboy (I Built)
    Cover Truck (56 Big Window Chevy)Truckin Mag. Featured in Street Rodder Mag (48 Custom Panel), Shown in Rod n Custom, Featured in Goodguys Gazette (38 Ford Coupe) and on Cover.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrod
    I think the expansion and contraction of the steel due to being an exhaust system, will probably not lend itself to adheasion very well.

However it also depends on your Preparation of the components. Prep work is 90% of success I think.

Me ? Jet Hot !
    If you really want to fix it. Send it to Jet Hot. The local boys will tell you they can do the same job. They can't!
    You might b able to get them powered coated also. There are some new ceramic type coatings available. I had some headers for a '99 LS1 Camaro headers "chrome" powdered coated, that was 2 years ago and they still look just like new and the Camaro is a daily driver.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrod

Me ? Jet Hot !
    ^^^yup, what Rod said^^^

Thanks guys, Jet-Hot would be the way to go, but the wallet doesn't allow for this now
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Thread Information